Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Just got 'Knife' the 12th Harry Hole novel by Jo Nesbo.
    I just love the character and writer. Shame he isn't quite as philosophical as my other favourite character, Bernie Gunther!
  • Options
    Just looked up Bernie Gunther - I will get cracking on those. Cheers for the tip, @Eynsfordaddick  
  • Options
    I just love the character and writer. Shame he isn't quite as philosophical as my other favourite character, Bernie Gunther!
    Ooh, great ! 

Will purchase when it's in paperback ! 
  • Options
  • Options
    The Last Man in Europe - Dennis Glover about George Orwell writing 1984. 
  • Options
    Just finished “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” by David Lagercrantz. This is the guy who was commissioned to continue the Millennium series written by the late Stieg Larsson, i.e. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc.

As it is some years since I read the three books written by Larsson, I can’t say I noticed any difference in style. Would recommend it. Am going straight on to read the next in the series, “The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye”.
    I agree, very well done. Not read Eye for an Eye yet. 
    Have now read Eye for an Eye. Found it just as good as "The Girl in the Spiders Web", so if anyone enjoyed the original Stig Larsson trilogy, you would probably enjoy the two additional novels.
    For those of you who enjoyed The Millennium trilogy of books I.e. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc written by Stieg Larsson (now deceased) and then the two follow up books by David Lagercrantz, I have just noticed that Lagercrantz’s third book “The Girl Who Lived Twice” is available on Amazon from 22 August.
  • Options
    Spectacle - Sue Perkins memoirs/autobiography. A decent read, lots of humour and some pathos, well written as would be expected, and a couple of mentions of the Addicks to boot... 
  • Options
    For the purposes of reviewing it, I have been reading a book for 9-14 year olds YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS by Adam Baron. It's inventive and funny and I can recommend it for anyone on here who's got kids, particularly boys, of that age, not least because its set in and around Blackheath and the central character and many of the minor characters are fans of CAFC. Indeed, the fictional captain of the team is the hero who literally comes down from the skies in a helicopter to help save the day.
  • Options
    Satdee I go Reading. 
  • Options
    The Sympathizer - Viet Than Nguyen

Basically about a Vietnamese communist sleeper agent in America after the Vietnam war. Written in a first person narrative with some pretty dense prose, this is an immensely readable book but a bit odd. Hard to explain really. Worth checking out, though not really a page turning thriller
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Secrets of the Dead by Tom Harper. A mystery thriller in the mode of The Da Vinci Code. Played out (somewhat confusingly for me) over four separate timelines - three in the Roman empire during the 4th century and one in modern day Europe.

It is well written (much better than Dan Brown), but not compelling, the characters are not well drawn enough to elicit much empathy or sympathy. The historical side of it is good though, I learnt a lot about the reign and life of emperor Constantine, about which I knew nothing before. 

It might be that I prefer a simpler narrative, and lack the attention in my old age to concentrate on a book which jumps about between timelines so much? Others may well enjoy it, but I cannot see myself rushing to read another Tom Harper novel in the future.       
  • Options
    Peter James - Need You Dead. Classic Roy Grace detective novel, great plot that keeps you engaged throughout. As with a lot of the Roy Grace series, James slowly leads you towards who the culprit is. Very clever.  
  • Options
    I've just finished Battlecruiser Invincible.  You'll never guess what it's about.
  • Options
    I've only read the Snowman one but really didn't like it.  Much prefer Sara Paretsky and Ian Rankin for my crime novels, but Paretsky's getting a bit predictable.
  • Options
    Europe united - Matt Walker 

He watched a game of football in all 55 European nations in a year. Very interesting if you are into that sort of thing 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Half way through 'All the Light We Cannot See'  by Anthony Doerr. Won the Pulitzer for fiction and I can absolutely see why. One of those books that has you wanting to get on the train to work just so you can carry on with it. Very highly recommended 
    Just finished the book whilst on holiday. A agree, a really enjoyable read. 
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

He watched a game of football in all 55 European nations in a year. Very interesting if you are into that sort of thing 
    I love this sort of thing, will check it out
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

I followed him on Facebook while he was doing that, some stunning grounds (and some terrible ones!) - will have to check out the book. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I've only read the Snowman one but really didn't like it.  Much prefer Sara Paretsky and Ian Rankin for my crime novels, but Paretsky's getting a bit predictable.
    I don't think that is one of the best, try another as the character grows on you.
     I also like Jussi Adler-Olsen and his Department Q books or Torquil MacLeod and the Inspector Anita Sundstrum books. 

I need to look up Sara Paretsky as never tried her books. Loved Rankin but the Scandi twist does it for me.
  • Options
    Joseph Knox, Sirens and The Smiling Man. Aiden Waits, damaged DC doing nights.  Excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds good - I will look out for them HG. 
  • Options
    The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry. Another one where the action jumps about a lot, but with a lot less referring back to history. Based around the privateers that were the foundation of the US navy and a modern day search for a fictional US government document that gave them and their families carte blanche to do whatever they liked in perpetuity. 

Basically the descendents of those pirates/privateers are under heavy investigation for their modern day misdeeds and tax evasion by the US government, and they want to prove that they are beyond the law because of this document.    

A bit like showing your report card from Eton... :D 

It is well written, and the "action" sequences are not over long, so you don't get bored. 

Not as good as The Amber Room, but still a decent read.          
  • Options
    The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry. Another one where the action jumps about a lot, but with a lot less referring back to history. Based around the privateers that were the foundation of the US navy and a modern day search for a fictional US government document that gave them and their families carte blanche to do whatever they liked in perpetuity. 

Basically the descendents of those pirates/privateers are under heavy investigation for their modern day misdeeds and tax evasion by the US government, and they want to prove that they are beyond the law because of this document.    

A bit like showing your report card from Eton... :D 

It is well written, and the "action" sequences are not over long, so you don't get bored. 

Not as good as The Amber Room, but still a decent read.          
    Love all his Cotton Malone books
  • Options
    @church-lane, I read The Alexandria Link without realising that it was a series, it was only when I picked this one up that I fell in. Unlike a lot of my other favourite authors (Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly, Peter James etc) I don't feel that I have missed a trick by not reading them in sequence.  
  • Options
    Peter James - Need You Dead. Classic Roy Grace detective novel, great plot that keeps you engaged throughout. As with a lot of the Roy Grace series, James slowly leads you towards who the culprit is. Very clever.  
    Liked the recommendations I've taken up from some of your earlier post so hoping to be as pleasantly surprised by picking up Roy Grace - starting with No1 of course. :-)

• Options
    @Algarveaddick you're right, you can pick them up at any point during the series but they do make more sense when read in order. A bit like the Roy Grace novels, easy to read individually but there is a sub story that makes more sense if read in order.
  • Options
    Liked the recommendations I've taken up from some of your earlier post so hoping to be as pleasantly surprised by picking up Roy Grace - starting with No1 of course. :-)

Talk about coincidence. Just started the book and realised I met Peter James at my father-in law's funeral in Brighton.  My father-in-law was the guy whose stamp collection was "stolen" in a real life burglary and was the basis of one of Peter James' story lines that he related in a very funny eulogy.
  • Options
    Wow @Dippenhall - that's cool. Slightly sad circumstances of course, but cool. 
  • Options
    The End Of Ice by Dahr Jamail. Covers the effects of climate change across the globe from melting Alaskan ice glaciers to deforestation of the Amazon. It makes a mockery of the recent statement that we have 10 years to fix the problems of rising temperatures.
  • Options
    Just caught up with this year's BBC National Short Story Award won by Jo Lloyd.  Didn't read it for myself, but listened to the podcast below.  My review would be that it is a bit arty farty, but those more accomplished say this.

Nikki Bedi:   ‘The Invisible’ was the unanimous winner and we all found many and different things to love and admire in it. The story moves us emotionally and intellectually, it works on many levels structurally, and linguistically it’s deft and accomplished. Unusually, it’s written in the first-person plural and there’s brilliance and beauty in its ability to conjure the landscape and slip in time. The story is unplaceable but deeply resonant. ‘The Invisible’s’ themes touch on wealth and class, what can be seen and not seen, and what’s precious and what should be valued in the world. You will read, and re-read it, and be richer every time.”  

Cynan Jones:  “Our winner paints a timelessly relevant picture of how we obsess for access to worlds we cannot have. It is also a story about story itself; our need for them, to allow us to see beyond ourselves, and how the stories we buy into can bring us together or push us apart.”

Richard Beard: “Our winner is a finely-tuned allegory lyrically rooted in the physical world that succeeds in reaching between the seen and unseen to raise profound questions about class, the countryside, myth, time. Much bigger than it looks, it rebounds and reflects its own ideas in deep layers that both entertain and intrigue the reader, leaving much to contemplate and return to.”

I will listen to this story again, maybe a few times, it's high time that I was moved emotionally and intellectually.  Dam my (lack of) education!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07n5f11