Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Bonds

One for the oldies

I've been to a charity dinner tonight and with a few West Ham mates we have bought lunch with Billy Bonds , Tony Gale, Tony Cottee and Alan Devonshire

Anyone got any questions for Billy or anyone want anything signed for the upbeats etc let me know, he always speaks well of us in my experience

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Wow!

As a self confessed former Hammer fan (evidence and reasons on here) that is some lunch. The two Tonys will talk for England! Love to find out what they all think about 'Arry. I think we know what Billy thinks.

Love to know what Dev is up to. Came into football late, was a fork lift driver, and probably suffered from being expected to fill the enormous boots of Sir Trev.

Be interested to know what all four of them think of the hierarchy at West Ham now. Big Sam hardly in the mould of Sir Ron or John Lyall. Then of course there are the owners, they are the reason why I now hate WHU, bunch of footballing frauds, surprised they haven't got 'Arry back!
  • Options
    I'm told Billy Bonds literally despises Redknapp

Quite looking forward to quizzing him on that
  • Options

Quite looking forward to quizzing him on that
  • Options

I don't think that's a secret after Billy's outburst in the press in response to 'Arry's book.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I don't think that's a secret after Billy's outburst in the press in response to 'Arry's book.
    Oooh what did he say
  • Options
    Does he remember opening The Knightswick Shopping Centre?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Southend,

Can you ask him if he's got any stuff (contracts, letters, shirts, etc) from his days at Charlton that he'd be willing to donate, loan or just allow to be photographed for the museum.

Ta
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Wow!

As a self confessed former Hammer fan (evidence and reasons on here) that is some lunch. The two Tonys will talk for England! Love to find out what they all think about 'Arry. I think we know what Billy thinks.

Love to know what Dev is up to. Came into football late, was a fork lift driver, and probably suffered from being expected to fill the enormous boots of Sir Trev.

Be interested to know what all four of them think of the hierarchy at West Ham now. Big Sam hardly in the mould of Sir Ron or John Lyall. Then of course there are the owners, they are the reason why I now hate WHU, bunch of footballing frauds, surprised they haven't got 'Arry back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Devonshire
  • Options
    Is Devonshire still managing Braintree? Doing pretty well last time I checked
  • Options
    Will do Henry

Happy to ask him to sign stuff on the day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks, CAFC999 may have some photos to get signed.

Was told by a West Ham fan who knows him that he still lives in Chislehurst so might try to get him along to Bromley Addicks.
  • Options
    Met Devonshire and his wife recently. She seems to think he can still tap in to celebrity status from his football days. He is a very nice quiet man who looks a bit like a poor mans Van Morrison.
    BTW..my mate takes over as MD at West Ham on Jan 1st. He is looking forward to the challenge. Can't say I envy him.
  • Options
    I would never have been able to pick out Dev on an ID parade.

• Options
    Riviera said:

I would never have been able to pick out Dev on an ID parade.

He's the one in the west ham kit
  • Options
    ctm
  • Options
    masicat said:

Met Devonshire and his wife recently. She seems to think he can still tap in to celebrity status from his football days. He is a very nice quiet man who looks a bit like a poor mans Van Morrison.
    BTW..my mate takes over as MD at West Ham on Jan 1st. He is looking forward to the challenge. Can't say I envy him.

Who's your mate?
  • Options

masicat said:

Who's your mate?</blockquote

His name is Angus Kinnear...
  • Options
    masicat said:

masicat said:

Who's your mate?
    Related to Joe? .. only kidding .. having googled him, he was(still is?) the Arsenal marketing director .. he's got a solid background then .. the big push will be on to get that Olympic stadium filled
  • Options
    Starts Jan 1st at West Ham. Big loss to Arsenal.
  • Options

Was told by a West Ham fan who knows him that he still lives in Chislehurst so might try to get him along to Bromley Addicks.

Already have some of these! But thanks for letting me know

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did he ever consider moving back to The Vista on Middle Park and taking over his dad"s window cleaning business.
  • Options
    Ask him if he had to change his name, would he choose Billy Isa or Billy Equity ?
  • Options

We did ask Bernard Wickham if he could approach BB regarding the upcoming BBTV dinner as he was due to meet with him a few weeks ago.

Bernard did warn us that it was unlikely he would attend the event and sadly, nothing came of the invitation.

• Options
    Given Fanny's last comment, does he actually have any feelings for Charlton? Before my time as our player, but 100 games is a decent stint for a youngster.

Always liked him as a (WHam) player and came across as a very decent man. Can understand his views on Redknapp!
  • Options
    I have plenty of questions for him, none he'll like and none he'll be able to worm his way out of, but I'm not putting it on here I'll probably get banned but I have no time for him with good reason. Good luck with the dinner though I hope the charity does well from it.
  • Options
    What's his favourite colour?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Given Fanny's last comment, does he actually have any feelings for Charlton? Before my time as our player, but 100 games is a decent stint for a youngster.

Always liked him as a (WHam) player and came across as a very decent man. Can understand his views on Redknapp!

He was a Charlton fan from Woolwich and used his programme notes to back the Valley Party.
  • Options

I have plenty of questions for him, none he'll like and none he'll be able to worm his way out of, but I'm not putting it on here I'll probably get banned but I have no time for him with good reason. Good luck with the dinner though I hope the charity does well from it.

thanks for that, really added to the thread

• Options

TelMc32 said:

He was a Charlton fan from Woolwich and used his programme notes to back the Valley Party.
    I'm pretty sure that his wife and her family are Charlton fans as well.
  • Options
    Not sure how he's upset Sadiejane.
    I saw pretty much every home game he played in from around 65-67 and he always gave his all, as he did for West Ham for 2o years or so.
    He named his house in Chislehurst "The Terrace" after the east terrace at the Valley which he used to run up and down to keep super fit.
    Right royally shafted at WH by that nice man redknapp.
    I've spoken to him briefly a couple of times over the years and always came across as a very decent, unassuming man.
    Still friends with Peter Reeves, Keith Peacock and Cliff Myers I believe.