Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    @nth london addick I watched an ifl interview with Ben the other day. Apparently this camp for Lowe has been solely about making weight.

He doesn’t have the discipline outside of camp to maintain weight and has spent this whole camp grafting those pounds off. How much of that is true I don’t know, but that’s what Ben said in his interview.

In my opinion its down to Ben to ensure the discipline is in place, a trainers responsibility to the fighter is not just solely about the fight camp its the whole life of the fighter and ensuring that the trainer is not wasting his or her time by allowing the boxer to not have the correct motivation and not putting in the same level of dedication as the trainer

i know when he was fighting out of  Freedom gym in donny , Jimmy Harrington was an absolute stickler on Isaac's behavior between bouts and would never sanction a 6 week camp to shed 2.6 stone and at times we rescheduled or pulled out of fight opportunities due to there not being the required time to get prepared. Jimmy like may trainers house the fighter to make sure that the diets and rules are not just allowed to be ignored 

Issac is a distraction and an inconvenience to Ben i believe and i also know that there are members of the Fury family that although they love him dearly and have known him years before the two started to box and the families are firm friends feel Isaac is a distraction to Tyson and is not good for the team due to him not living the life that a boxer should 

• Options
    Dilian Whyte now currently on celebrity MasterChef, alongside Greg Rutherford and Martha Reeves. I didn't expect that.

Presumably this is yet another eliminator before he gets a world title shot?
  • Options
    @nth london addick I watched an ifl interview with Ben the other day. Apparently this camp for Lowe has been solely about making weight.

He doesn’t have the discipline outside of camp to maintain weight and has spent this whole camp grafting those pounds off. How much of that is true I don’t know, but that’s what Ben said in his interview.

In my opinion its down to Ben to ensure the discipline is in place, a trainers responsibility to the fighter is not just solely about the fight camp its the whole life of the fighter and ensuring that the trainer is not wasting his or her time by allowing the boxer to not have the correct motivation and not putting in the same level of dedication as the trainer

i know when he was fighting out of  Freedom gym in donny , Jimmy Harrington was an absolute stickler on Isaac's behavior between bouts and would never sanction a 6 week camp to shed 2.6 stone and at times we rescheduled or pulled out of fight opportunities due to there not being the required time to get prepared. Jimmy like may trainers house the fighter to make sure that the diets and rules are not just allowed to be ignored 

Issac is a distraction and an inconvenience to Ben i believe and i also know that there are members of the Fury family that although they love him dearly and have known him years before the two started to box and the families are firm friends feel Isaac is a distraction to Tyson and is not good for the team due to him not living the life that a boxer should 

And that's shown plenty in his fights, he slows right down late on and that probably cost him the win against Walsh 

I get what Ben Davidson is saying, it can't all be on the trainer, he's clearly of a mind that he will work and achieve things with people who buy into what he's about rather than babysitting professional sportsmen who don't have the wherewithal to stay in shape. 

Problem is Isaac Lowe is a young man who like all young men, wants to live the life his mates are but also to compete professionally in the ring. That mindset will never get him very far in the sport but that's hardly a revelation. 

Tyson Fury had a lightbulb moment at some point and was able to completely buy in to what Ben Davidson is doing or trying to do, until Lowe does the same he will just be a gym mate and someone to keep Fury company in camp
  • Options
    Carter said:

And that's shown plenty in his fights, he slows right down late on and that probably cost him the win against Walsh 

I get what Ben Davidson is saying, it can't all be on the trainer, he's clearly of a mind that he will work and achieve things with people who buy into what he's about rather than babysitting professional sportsmen who don't have the wherewithal to stay in shape. 

Problem is Isaac Lowe is a young man who like all young men, wants to live the life his mates are but also to compete professionally in the ring. That mindset will never get him very far in the sport but that's hardly a revelation. 

Tyson Fury had a lightbulb moment at some point and was able to completely buy in to what Ben Davidson is doing or trying to do, until Lowe does the same he will just be a gym mate and someone to keep Fury company in camp
    thing is mate its not just isaacs mindset slipping, although no where near where Tyson was before but the regime is no longer the same 
  • Options
    Carter said:

thing is mate its not just isaacs mindset slipping, although no where near where Tyson was before but the regime is no longer the same 
    You think Tyson should get rid of Ben?
  • Options
    Carter said:

No i wouldnt think that is a wise move but i think that there needs to be a different voice in the camp that is stricter and more focused on the discipline 

I dont think that videos of Ricky Hatton acting in the way he was earlier are any way near acceptable to be that person when you have someone who is in recovery from alchol and substance miss use and has a very public and open battle with mental illness

the main Tyson team currently is  

Ben
    Ricky
    Asgar 

this is not strong enough now the move from weight loss and health is moving back to fight dedication ,boxing tactics and game mgmt

Ben and Tyson are too friendly , Ricky is not suitable to be around when like this and struggles himself daily with Mental health i was very concerned when i saw the video and knew that this would roll on into a bigger problem 
  • Options
    Carter said:

No i wouldnt think that is a wise move but i think that there needs to be a different voice in the camp that is stricter and more focused on the discipline 

I dont think that videos of Ricky Hatton acting in the way he was earlier are any way near acceptable to be that person when you have someone who is in recovery from alchol and substance miss use and has a very public and open battle with mental illness

the main Tyson team currently is  

Ben
    Ricky
    Asgar 

this is not strong enough now the move from weight loss and health is moving back to fight dedication ,boxing tactics and game mgmt

Ben and Tyson are too friendly , Ricky is not suitable to be around when like this and struggles himself daily with Mental health i was very concerned when i saw the video and knew that this would roll on into a bigger problem 
    Maybe they could get Freddie Roach back? He always said he would be open to working with Fury again.
  • Options
    NLA you have been less then complimentary about Ben Davison and his coaching credentials in the past, what has happened to change your mind?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Ben has definitely had Tyson boxing the best he's ever boxed (Wilder fight).

He was something of a joke back in the day, you know with the clip of him punching himself in a fight. I remember going to the excel to watch BJS vs Chris Eubank jr which was the co-main for Fury-Chisora. After the BJS fight, about 50/60% of the crowd left. He has come a long way since then.

• Options
    NLA you have been less then complimentary about Ben Davison and his coaching credentials in the past, what has happened to change your mind?

I got to spend time with him and I have watched first hand the relationship between fighter and coach/trainer 

ben needs a good second imo which Agar is he is a great fella 

but imo like a football manager whose message sometimes needs freshening up something needs to change and that is a new team member and not the removal of ben 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019

Looking forward to the Royal Albert Hall card next weekend, another big Dubois KO no doubt. I think this will be an entertaining fight. Tetteh will come at him just like that Lartey fella did, these are the type of fights Dubois needs right now.

Special mention for Archie Sharp who's also on the bill, he's a local lad from Welling and someone I know quite well. defending his WBO European against a tough opponent in Declan Geraghty. He's only lost to world title contenders in Tennyson and Jon O'Carroll, so it's a good test for Archie.

• Options

Looking forward to the Royal Albert Hall card next weekend, another big Dubois KO no doubt. I think this will be an entertaining fight. Tetteh will come at him just like that Lartey fella did, these are the type of fights Dubois needs right now.

Special mention for Archie Sharp who's also on the bill, he's a local lad from Welling and someone I know quite well. defending his WBO European against a tough opponent in Declan Geraghty. He's only lost to world title contenders in Tennyson and Jon O'Carroll, so it's a good test for Archie.

Totally agree ref Dubois but i am in the Bruno camp id put him in tomorrow with higher opposition maybe not tyson and AJ level but the boy is ready and able

I think Sharp will divide opinion and this may be unpopular view  but i aint sold on him, i think he has something but i am not as convinced as some, he is easily hit, his footwork for me is poor and his defence very easily negated, 

If he comes through DG then maybe your right its a good test and a hard opponent has been over come,

but personsally i see DG as on the way down the list and not up it , a tough enough kid tidy enough technique but would have no way had the backing Sharp has had and therefore would not have had the opportunity of a real dedicated camp where he didnt have to work.

i expect Sharp to win quite easily within 8 and really needs to put on a performance to win me over 
  • Options

Totally agree ref Dubois but i am in the Bruno camp id put him in tomorrow with higher opposition maybe not tyson and AJ level but the boy is ready and able

I think Sharp will divide opinion and this may be unpopular view  but i aint sold on him, i think he has something but i am not as convinced as some, he is easily hit, his footwork for me is poor and his defence very easily negated, 

If he comes through DG then maybe your right its a good test and a hard opponent has been over come,

but personsally i see DG as on the way down the list and not up it , a tough enough kid tidy enough technique but would have no way had the backing Sharp has had and therefore would not have had the opportunity of a real dedicated camp where he didnt have to work.

i expect Sharp to win quite easily within 8 and really needs to put on a performance to win me over 

Although he is my friend and I may be a little biased I couldn't disagree more to be honest.

His ability to box from distance is one of his strengths and that is attributed to his footwork. But one thing I do agree with you, and I did say this to Archie... he leaves his hands down far too often and against a quality opponent he could find himself in some trouble.

Can't see him putting Geraghty away in 8, he had the opportunity to put McCorry out in his last fight after that body shot but failed to do so. I think he didn't want to risk anything so stuck to his boxing. He did however mention in a boxing social interview that he wants the stoppage against Geraghty, so I guess time will tell. I haven't seen a lot of Geraghty recently, so I'm basing this purely on Archie lol.

I think the best fight for Sharp after this would be Sam Bowen. Perfect stylistic match up, and if he comes out of that hopefully he can start touching the world stage. Jemel Herring has mentioned his name a few times, so the path has hopefully been laid.

Sharp by decision for me.

• Options
    i can tell you with great confidence keep sharp from Bowen, i know Carl Greaves well and i have had first hand experience of Sam Bowen destroying Maxi Hughes with ease,

Sam Bowen may be stylistically good for Sharpe but he is a machine like ivan drago hit him with a hammer you will have no affect, 

he is the best out there and avoided by most , i was only talking to carlo last week and so many wont go near him and Sharpe will be way out of depth

the fact sharp can be hit so easily and how hard i know that Bowen hits sharp wouldn't last 7 or 8 with Bowen honestly if you have the ear of his trainer avoid Bowen for a good while let Sam take harder fights and get weaker, i dont see anyone beating Bowen currently i rate him that highly i would never bet against him and theres not many fighters i can say that about

I will keep a close eye on his footwork but i was not impressed at all with his movement McCory or his power, he had him and could not close it out, was a strange round indeed that one.

• Options

Sharp 1/8 for the fight this weekend, Geraghty 5/1.

I have to say whilst I know Archie, I do no way think that this fight is as one sided as the bookies have it right now. So, I'm actually inclined to have a bet on Geraghty, purely because of the value. There's definitely no value in Archie at 1/8.

• Options

Sharp 1/8 for the fight this weekend, Geraghty 5/1.

I have to say whilst I know Archie, I do no way think that this fight is as one sided as the bookies have it right now. So, I'm actually inclined to have a bet on Geraghty, purely because of the value. There's definitely no value in Archie at 1/8.

I am with the bookies you have to question the mindset of DG the camp he has had and the level of commitment to the cause he has due to I would guess having to work for atleast 4 weeks of the 12 week camp if not more 

he will know he is there to make sharp look good imo and I don’t think he will show anything that worries Archie , but if Archie shows the gaps he did last time out then he could get caught with a sucker punch on the way out 

keep your money in the pocket on this one 
  • Options
    Also remember the wars Benn had with Watson, Eubank and Collins, probably the toughest fights I can remember... I'm surprised he's still with it the amount of hits to the head he took in those fights. 

This could end very badly
  • Options
    I think I've already said it but Sakio Bika is a tough, rangy brute of a man who whilst not possessing a famous one punch KO highlight reel he won't give a seconds thought to going easy on a man in his mid 50s and given that sanctioning bodies seem to dance to their own beat that changes by the second I'm not surprised they have seen pound signs in their eyes and sanctioned this circus. 

• Options
    I didn't mean Watson (although he beat Benn) I meant McClellan... That was epic.

Don't know much about Bika, and that won't change much as I'm not watching the fight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    I think I've already said it but Sakio Bika is a tough, rangy brute of a man who whilst not possessing a famous one punch KO highlight reel he won't give a seconds thought to going easy on a man in his mid 50s and given that sanctioning bodies seem to dance to their own beat that changes by the second I'm not surprised they have seen pound signs in their eyes and sanctioned this circus. 

Carts your bang on Bika is an animal he fights like a cornered wounded animal it’s not pretty it’s not cultured but it’s effective brutal and controlled, 

if benn had an itch that needed scratching I know him and Steve Colin’s seriously considered a fight and although I honestly wouldn’t have watched the circus act I could accept it as a novelty 

but this is not good it’s not acceptable and it’s got a real high % chance that Nigel will get hurt and badly hurt 
  • Options
    When I first heard it was happening and Nigel was returning I didn’t want to believe it 

I then had it confirmed a month ago it was on and the opponent was Bika 

i was saddened my sadness is now anger and contempt for the sanctioning body the promoter and the venue 

for the armchair fan and there’s millions of them Nigel Benn Vs Bika is nothing more than a novelty act that’s worth tuning in for 

to those who follow boxing as closely as many follow football this is not funny or a novelty 

Bika is a dangerous dangerous man who last fought in 2017 

Nigel Benn last fought in 1996 

take that in for a minute

a 55 yr old man who fought the best there was in his era but who last fought in 1996 getting in the ring with a 44 yr old man who last fought 2 yrs ago and who has fought the best there was in his time also and had a very good record 

had they been around in the same era this would’ve been a fight worth watching 

boxers need protection they need it more from themselves than anything else 

I am fuming I am disgusted and I won’t watch any of it not the hype the press conferences nothing 

it should be boycotted it should never have been allowed 

Bika is 40.

Makes it worse when you think about it.
  • Options
    Stefco said:
    When I first heard it was happening and Nigel was returning I didn’t want to believe it 

I then had it confirmed a month ago it was on and the opponent was Bika 

i was saddened my sadness is now anger and contempt for the sanctioning body the promoter and the venue 

for the armchair fan and there’s millions of them Nigel Benn Vs Bika is nothing more than a novelty act that’s worth tuning in for 

to those who follow boxing as closely as many follow football this is not funny or a novelty 

Bika is a dangerous dangerous man who last fought in 2017 

Nigel Benn last fought in 1996 

take that in for a minute

a 55 yr old man who fought the best there was in his era but who last fought in 1996 getting in the ring with a 44 yr old man who last fought 2 yrs ago and who has fought the best there was in his time also and had a very good record 

had they been around in the same era this would’ve been a fight worth watching 

boxers need protection they need it more from themselves than anything else 

I am fuming I am disgusted and I won’t watch any of it not the hype the press conferences nothing 

it should be boycotted it should never have been allowed 

Bika is 40.

Makes it worse when you think about it.
    Makes it a lot worse it means Bika could probably still fight now 

• Options
    Bika started his pro career AFTER Benn retired.

The man went the distance with Adonis Stevenson, Calzaghe, Dirrell, Bute and Andre Ward.

Crazy fight and to honest will go on as long as Bika wants it to.
  • Options
    Anyone who actually wants to watch this should have a serious word with themself 
  • Options
    Anyone who actually wants to watch this should have a serious word with themself 
    Too many people who tell you on tv and in media that they are real boxing people saying this is fine 

it ain’t fine it’s far from fine and it should be stopped before it actually happens 
  • Options
    Very good finish from Denzil Bentley very raw vey much a prospect who needs to finesse his skills but I like what I see there
  • Options
    The ref should be stopping this fight very impressive debut from Noakes 
  • Options
    Don’t see where Nicola Adams career is going this is poor and has been from rd 1 she could get stopped tonight everything wrong imo 
  • Options
    Don’t see where Nicola Adams career is going this is poor and has been from rd 1 she could get stopped tonight everything wrong imo 
    You can tell she's been inactive, wasn't particularly great last time out was she?