Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karl Robinson

Comments

• edited September 2019
    Meh. Was a lovely bloke for a while and did bring an element of “feel-good” back to the club but it was short lived and everything was clearly going downhill for him fast. He excitedly jumped ship when he got the chance.

As it turned out, he did us a massive favour but at the time it felt like he’d left us to rot in the lower leagues.

I believe it’s due to the fact that Bow and his team have been so successful that some views on KR have softened. If we had just ended the season in mid table L1, would some of the responses here be the same?
  • Meh. Was a lovely bloke for a while and did bring an element of “feel-good” back to the club but it was short lived and everything was clearly going downhill for him fast. He excitedly jumped ship when he got the chance.

As it turned out, he did us a massive favour but at the time it felt like he’d left us to rot in the lower leagues.

I believe it’s due to the fact that Bow and his team have been so successful that some views on KR have softened. If we had just ended the season in mid table L1, would some of the responses here be the same?
    Surely he jumped ship because he expected new owners to come in and bring in a new person? Like the spivs did when they replaced Parky with Powell, and like Roland did when he replaced Powell with Riga. On that basis jumping ship first seems a sensible move, especially to a job nearer home

Indeed wasn't Harry Kewell heavily rumoured?
  • Exactly. I made the same point on this thread yesterday, just a few posts above.

#FFSdoesn'tanybodybothertoreadmyposts  :smile:
  • Will forever have mixed feelings of Karl.

Positives were he no doubt cared about the club and overall he took us forward from the mess we were in when he arrived. Up until roughly the Portsmouth anniversary game that 17-18 season was one of the most enjoyable periods we'd had for a while.

From that point on until he resigned though it was one of the most frustrating seasons I can ever remember. The amount of late goals we conceded was crazy and his inability to ever do anything differently when it was going wrong was so frustrating. And then of course post match interviews when he'd find absolutely anything other than himself or the team to blame when we didn't win. As well as that the never thanking of fans after games when we lose (even after a 1-0 loss in the 91st minute of a re arranged Tuesday night game at Blackpool). And wasn't he pictured laughing at the fans after the team got booed after the 0-0 v Fleetwood?

Ultimately he brought Bowyer and Gallen to the club which has led to where we are now and did take us forward from Slade which under Roland isn't easy. So I don't hate the bloke but I will forever view his time here as mainly frustrating. With a better manager I really think we had the potential to battle with Wigan, Blackburn and Shrewsbury for the top 2 that season.
  • edited September 2019
    He was not the best manager but he did not lack passion.

I liked him as a person and he came across as an honest and open fella.

At the Bromley meeting he was questioned about his "basket case" quote whilst at Milton Keynes, his reply was "knowing me I probably did!" He went up in my estimations after that. 

A shame he took the p*** regarding my height during the evening.....
  • Article in Saturday's 'Times' about the trials and tribs of a manager's missus, featuring KR's missus and with a few comments from Danny Cowley's other 1/2 (not his brother) .. KR's missus was a TV actress for a few years and he has one daughter, Jasmine.
    An interesting read and NOT full with self pity and regrets
  • This article was in The Telegraph last week (we don't get a mention):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/11/karl-robinson-interview-fans-say-hope-dad-dies-cancer-wont-take/

Karl Robinson interview: Fans say 'We hope your dad dies of cancer'. I won't take it any more

Oxford United manager reveals the shocking truth of the abuse suffered by coaching staff and what he plans to do about it

"Scouse f----t!"
    "Gay Scouse c---!"
    "Thieving Scouse c---!"
    "Hope your dad dies of cancer!"
    "97 Scouse c---- gone at Hillsborough - always victims!"

It is April 23 2022, and Rotherham United are at home to Oxford United. It is a crucial League One promotion clash but, for a small but vocal section of home fans behind the dug-out, the match seems a mere sideshow to the opportunity to launch a stream of vile abuse at Karl Robinson, Oxford's manager.

Unusually, you can hear this for yourself. Robinson has been given a microphone as part of a behind-the-scenes podcast series, Moment of Truth, for BBC Five Live. All the invective is caught on the audio and forms the basis of one of the 15 episodes.

It is disturbing listening and, at one point, an exasperated Robinson even threatens to stop the game unless the stewards take action.

“They just throw things at you – about my dad, my mum, my kids,” he says of the abuse. “My dad might have passed away, he might be ill – thankfully he is not. Maybe that kind of abuse has always been there but in this podcast it is very evident what gets said. It’s something that needed to be left in. Some people might say ‘why did you have to do that?’ But it’s important.

“From the minority, no, that abuse was not unusual. I hate talking about the minority because there is so much good in the game but it happened. And sometimes it leaves you at breaking point.”

Despite being just 41 Robinson is one of the most experienced and respected managers in the English Football League. He started managing at 29 with MK Dons, and, remarkably, already has 650 games to his name. But he admits he was shaken by what happened at Rotherham.

“Being from Liverpool comes up a lot, Hillsborough comes up. Liverpool is a city I am immensely proud of but people make terrible statements,” Robinson says. “I thought Covid would have stopped a lot of negative things being said but all it’s done is increase the criticism, especially on social media which, at that time, was the only way for people to connect. On top of that, going back to stadiums has not made it any better. We all had this vision that the world would be a better place, that we would appreciate it more. But no."

Robinson takes a breath. “Listen, my language can be terrible, and it’s part of me that I want to make better, but it’s not abusive.

"One of the bits we left in the podcast was someone saying the word ‘poof’ to me. I said, ‘Be careful - you don’t know the effect that can have on the person next to you’. The young guy, Jake Daniels, came out at Blackpool earlier this year and we wonder why it doesn’t happen more."

This is not to single out Rotherham - Robinson is at pains to acknowledge that the Yorkshire club are "one of the nicest" in the league, full of "very good people". Such comments will provide a soundtrack to matches up and down the land once the new domestic season begins, all of which makes you wonder why managers are prepared to put themselves through it all.

'Moment of Truth' is a candid portrait of the toll the job takes. Robinson is one focus for the series; the other, ironically, is Rotherham’s Paul Warne.

The pair are good friends and their warmth shines through, even if it is tested by their respective clubs tussling for the prize of promotion. Rotherham ultimately gain automatic promotion to the Championship; Oxford just miss out on the play-offs and both men are searingly honest in the emotions they go through and the effect the job has on them and their families.

Robinson has a striking analogy when he considers how it feels to patrol his technical area.

“You are like a tiger in a zoo,” he says. “And everyone judges you on a two-metre-by-six-metre space. It’s only a tiny part of who I am but it is 100 per cent of what people see. I am not a reserved manager. When I am at a club I am all in and I am there to win."

Experience has taught Robinson to be more open – although admirably it has always been in his nature – and this is another reason why he agreed to the podcast, which he hopes will give a greater sense into what it really is like to be a football manager.

“I probably acted in the beginning in the wrong way. I tried to pretend it didn’t bother me. But I am comfortable being vulnerable now,” Robinson says. “I see it more as a sign of strength than a weakness. Even though I am a football manager I am not detached from the rawness of life, it’s the same with the players. They are not superhuman. It’s me doing a job. It’s not the job defining me.”

There are touching exchanges in the podcast in which Robinson’s wife, Ann, and his 16-year-old daughter, Jasmine, talk about the impact his work has on them. Warne's wife, Rachel, does the same.

Robinson admits that being a manager has “tested” his marriage but seems relieved that Jasmine is able to treat the abuse with a degree of "flippancy". It is her way of dealing with it.

Not that Robinson wants to sanitise the game. Far from it. He hated the “soullessness” of games behind closed doors.

“There are certain places you go where, as I have done for so long, you actually get to know some of the people [behind the dugouts],” Robinson says. “There’s a guy at Accrington. He’s funny, he’s witty and he gets to me sometimes. He’s trying to put me off my game but he is never abusive. Sheffield Wednesday, also, is a great place. People are brilliant. At no stage do they talk about where I am from or parents but they give me loads of criticism. I don’t want to sanitise it. I don’t want to lose that.”

Robinson's enduring love for the game, and addiction to the thrill of winning, is why throughout the summer he was looking forward to Oxford's opening League One game against relegated Derby County.

But, as he intimated at Rotherham, he is not prepared to simply accept abuse that reaches truly intolerable levels.

“Would I stop it [a match]? I think if it got to that point then yes, I would. And I would do it, 100 per cent, if it was one of my players. Something has to be done.”

• Some really unacceptable comments there. And mystifying why Rotherham fans would be so worked up by KR, unless those individuals shout that to all opposition managers?
  • Is it his first actual dismissal?
  • Sponsored links:

• BDLBDL
    edited February 2023
    seth plum said:
    Is it his first actual dismissal?

No, Franchi$e 'relieved him of duties' in 2016 and he left us by murtual consent

Then there is this thread on Twitter - posted withoput comment

<br>

Defeat pic.twitter.com/EvdtQqmEvq

— Oxford United FC (@OUFCOfficial) February 25, 2023
  • I’m shocked. I think he’s done a very decent job at Oxford. Not quite sure what Oxfords owners were expecting. 
  • I’m shocked. I think he’s done a very decent job at Oxford. Not quite sure what Oxfords owners were expecting. 

I'm not one for knee jerk sackings, but in this case Oxford are in freefall towards the relegation places, so I can understand why they've acted.
  • Saw a rumour on twitter yesterday that it was for gross misconduct.

• We might actually manage to beat Oxford now 
  • Pity we've played them twice this season.
  • edited February 2023
    Their fans mostly seem in support of his sacking. One in particular resonated so far as we, as a Club, are concerned:

I genuinely liked Karl and how he cared about our club, and how he engaged with fans (mostly!), but the fact is his poor squad building and massive recruitment errors have got us in to this position where we are now, and it was all his fault, yet he never owned up to it or admitted it.

Too many crocks on high wages, an unbelievably unbalanced squad and glaring errors in key positions are major reasons why we are struggling now.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Probably in a minority of one but I really like Robinson.

I always felt he had one, if not both, hands tied behind his back. Its no coincidence that once the "network" stopped being a thing and our players actually played for us things picked up a bit.
    I disagree. He got worse towards the end. Amount of late goals conceded in games and that bad defeat at Peterborough, where magennis missed that pen. 
  • Their fans mostly seem in support of his sacking. One in particular resonated so far as we, as a Club, are concerned:

I genuinely liked Karl and how he cared about our club, and how he engaged with fans (mostly!), but the fact is his poor squad building and massive recruitment errors have got us in to this position where we are now, and it was all his fault, yet he never owned up to it or admitted it.

Too many crocks on high wages, an unbelievably unbalanced squad and glaring errors in key positions are major reasons why we are struggling now.
    That sounds familiar but that problem has probably been for 70% plus of all league one teams including Charlton. As we know it’s easier said than done to establish a balanced league one squad when the budget doesn’t allow for it. We or certainly I don’t know if Oxford have a large budget that’s been misspent but I’m betting it doesn’t, and I’m also guessing Robinson isn’t the only one to blame. I hope he gets another gig soon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I always felt he had one, if not both, hands tied behind his back. Its no coincidence that once the "network" stopped being a thing and our players actually played for us things picked up a bit.
    I disagree. He got worse towards the end. Amount of late goals conceded in games and that bad defeat at Peterborough, where magennis missed that pen. 
    I mean after he left.
  • The last Charlton manager to get any points from the Spanners. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I always felt he had one, if not both, hands tied behind his back. It’s no coincidence that once the "network" stopped being a thing and our players actually played for us things picked up a bit.
    This should be a ban @a@AFKABartram
  • edited March 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64854951

Decent interview with him. Unacceptable when family members get abused.

Honest that he agrees with the decision  to sack him.
  • Good luck to him. Decent bloke and put the building blocks in place for LB 
  • Never thought I'd ask this about Robinson...

Would ya? 

We love a repeat visitor!
  • mendonca said:
    Never thought I'd ask this about Robinson...

Would ya? 

We love a repeat visitor!
    Does not matter who our manager is until the owner/s are sorted
  • Reported Holden being considered by Oxford as Robinsons replacement 
  • I reckon Holden’s agent is just trying to crank up the pressure on Charlton to make him an offer for next season