Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German dress knife help

edited July 2018 in Not Sports Related
I know there's some war buffs on here so thought someone may be able to help. I got this from my grandad... whose dad brought it back from ww1. Can anyone here help me with any info on it for further research?

Comments

• Options
    Popcorn at the ready.
  • Options

Popcorn at the ready.

What for ??
  • Options
    WW1 wasn't a Nazi war.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    seth plum said:

WW1 wasn't a Nazi war.

Cool cheers, that's a start... I'm after help not snarky comments
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I know there's some war buffs on here so thought someone may be able to help. I got this from my grandad... whose dad brought it back from ww1. Can anyone here help me with any info on it for further research?

I can tell you one thing. If he picked it up during WWI it's not going to be a Nazi knife.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

shine166 said:

I can tell you one thing. If he picked it up during WWI it's not going to be a Nazi knife.
    Yeah we've got that far hense the thread title change.. my mistake on the early usage of the 'Nazi' term.
  • Options
    Assume it was a Navy dress knife/dagger? The eagle and swastika would suggest later than WW1 wouldn't it?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

seth plum said:

WW1 wasn't a Nazi war.

Cool cheers, that's a start... I'm after help not snarky comments
    Snarky?
    Sheesh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry for the confusion, the info comes from my grandad that has just moved into a care home as he has dementia setting in at a shocking rate.

Appoligise for me getting pissy too... just a tough time atm seeing him falling to pieces
  • Options
    Addickted may have some useful suggestions as he is something of a WW1 expert......though this kind of thing might not be in his field of knowledge.
    I’m thinking he may know someone who deals in this kind of artefact.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Would it have been brought back from WW1 seeing that its got the Swaztika at the top of the pommel by the Eagle?
  • Options
    The manufacturer is still going.

https://www.eickhorn-solingen.de
  • Options
    @shine166 your pic definitely looks like it is on the above link. It looks like a Nazi naval dagger to me. But who knows sorry your Grandad is in a bad way.
  • Options
    @Greenie might know as he's got a bit of a collection around WW1 / WW2
  • Options
    yep 2nd vote for @Greenie knows his stuff.
  • Options
    The swastika used to be a symbol for good luck, before the Nazi's adopted it.
  • Options
    Looks very similar to this navy dagger. ibuyworldwar2.com/navy-dagger-eickhorn/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes and changed the direction of the 'motion too. Saw loads in Bali when I was over there
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Looks very similar to this navy dagger. ibuyworldwar2.com/navy-dagger-eickhorn/

Think you're right... cheers to hive mind
  • Options

Dry cleaning company in Dublin est 1912.
  • Options
    It's definitely a WWII Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine officer dagger.

Are there no indications as to who the owner was or what branch of the Kriegsmarine it came from.?

A Nazi Officers naval dagger from the Scharnhorst went for £12k at auction a few years ago - and the owner was only an Hauptmann.
  • Options

The manufacturer is still going.

https://www.eickhorn-solingen.de

Yeah, sorry, I'm going off piste here, but strangely as it leans heavily on its German heritage, it seems to be run by a Scot and to be a UK registered company! https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01285633/officers
  • Options

Looks like a scene from Trumpton
  • Options

Looks like a scene from Trumpton
    Das Trumpton

They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Sorry to learn of your grandads I’ll health.

Might I ask his age ? Seems unlikely that he brought it back from WW1 ?

Would also seem to be a WW2 item.