Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SOUTHEND UNITED 1 CHARLTON 2 - 1st September 2018

SOUTHEND 1 (Robinson 60) CHARLTON 2 (Taylor 57, Bielik 87)

Attendance 7,923 (1,537 Charlton)

Southend Oxley (C), Bwomono, Coker, Turner, Kightly, Hopper (McClousky, 75), McLaughlin (Bunn, 68), Mantom, Demetriou, Robinson (Cox, 75), White.

Charlton Phillips; Solly, Bauer (Fosu, 56), Bielik, Pearce, Page; Pratley (Lapslie, 72), Cullen, Grant; Ajose (Vetokele, 85), Taylor.

Summary

Charlton picked up their first away victory of the season, but once again late drama was the order of the day. A neat Taylor finish after good work from Karlan Grant had given Charlton a second half lead, but this proved short lived as Southend equalised just 3 mins later. In the 87th minute, Krystian Bielik fired a bullet header from a Josh Cullen corner to give Charlton what looked like 3 points. However, the main taling point of the game was a flashpoint in injury time. Tariq Fosu, subject to a booting on the floor near the corner flag, reacted angrily in butting the Southend player. This sparked a free for all that included the Southend keeper swinging at George Lapslie. Fosu and two Southend players were dismissed in the brawl.

Post Match comments

Bowyer: "We’ve definitely been dominating games and just not been really taking our chances or making the right decision but again second half Karlan (Grant) got in down the right and picked out Lyle. That’s something against Accrington they were in the same situation, I said he needs to learn and it just shows today that they do take on board what we say and they have learnt and that’s a good thing for Karlan because he’s a young lad and he has a lot of attributes. If he can just take on the things we’re saying and make the right decisions in the final third, your team score goals and you win games and that’s been proven today.
““We were dominating everything and we go and score and you thing ‘Yes, here we go’ and then we take too many touches out wide, get caught, they switch it. The only time they got around the side of us. The midfielders worked really hard and stopped that from happening and the full backs did. That was the one time they did and they got a tap-in and it’s frustrating because it shouldn’t have happened, especially after just going one up. The most important thing for me was that they came back again strong and went on to win the game and it would have been disappointing if we didn’t because we definitely deserved it.”
““Those things at the end (the brawl) they happen in football unfortunately. The good thing for me is sometimes you can get caught up, especially when you play away from home, you can get caught up in playing the way they want you to play and that would have been a battle, to play long ball, play for seconds. We matched them there but the most important thing for me and the reason why I played the diamond is that I knew we would play through them because we’ve got good footballers. That was the most important thing for me and the most pleasing thing. They weren’t scared to get on the ball when they won it and they moved the ball quickly and we switched it well. Yeah, at times we over-passed, I would say but I would rather that than just kicking it long and playing for second balls.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Bielik = 7.83
Cullen = 7.11
Lapslie = 7.00
Grant = 6.84
Taylor = 6.80
Page = 6.73
Pearce = 6.71
Bauer = 6.53
Solly = 6.47
Ajose = 6.38
Phillips = 6.19
Pratley = 6.11
Fosu = 5.84

Team Average = 6.66

At The Game....

@Rob : Very enjoyable both on and off the field. The Charlton fans were immense all game. We couldn't hold a lead which is a negative but we came back and scored and deserved the win. The last minute fracas was very entertaining.

I thought Cullen and Pearce made a big difference. Cullen was controlling the midfield a bit and spraying passes around which we've been lacking this year. And Pearce in defence is like a rock. What I like about him is his positional awareness, he's a confident ball handler and makes himself available. We were missing that as well.

Fosu saw red and got a red which was silly. So, that's him out for another 3 games. I thought he looked good when he came on. Phillips really does need to work on his distribution.

A very enjoyable away day today.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

(Photo credit: Kyle Andrews)