Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LUTON TOWN 2 CHARLTON 2 - 28th September 2018

LUTON 2 (Cornick 74, Collins 81) CHARLTON 2 (Fosu 23p, Solly 90+5)

Attendance 9,502 (1,032 Charlton)

Luton Shea, Potts, Bradley, Pearson, Stacey, Lee, Shinnie (Justin 90), Rea (c), Mpanzu, J Grant (Cornick 66), Collins.

Charlton Steer, Solly, Pearce (c), Sarr, Page, Cullen, Aribo, Reeves (Lapslie 83), Fosu (Ajose 85), Taylor, Vetokele (Grant 76).

Summary

Rollacoaster game at Kennilworth Road as Charlton went from looking like controlling their way to a win, staring at defea,t before rescuing a point in the last seconds of the game. A Fosu penalty gave Charlton a 1st half lead, but with Luton taking two of chances within seven second half minutes, it looked like the game was getting away from the Addicks. However, Charlton laid siege to the Luton goal in injury time, hitting the woodwork twice and also having one cleared off the line, before Solly volleyed home his late late show. Cue loopy nut nut in the away end.

Post Match comments

Bowyer: I think a draw was a fair result. They’re a good side and they tested us at times. It was a poor first goal to concede and that gave them a lift. They caused a bit of trouble but they weren’t really hurting us and we were dealing with what they were throwing at us.

“The first goal is frustrating because I think we win the game if we don’t concede that. Overall, it’s a good point. When you’re 2-1 down going into injury time and they keep fighting and pushing, it just shows the fighting spirit that they have. They keep believing, they don’t want to lose and they never gave in until the end. They’re still disappointed that they didn’t win, that just shows the expectation. They push each other and demand from each other all the time.”

“I said to him [Solly] ‘get on the edge of the box’ because they didn’t have anyone up. Thankfully it fell to him and he got the goal. We deserved it, we hit the bar twice and I thought it was going to be one of those days. We could have had another penalty when Lyle was pulled back and he gave a similar foul just after outside the box.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Solly = 7.11
Aribo = 7.06
Taylor = 6.70
Pearce = 6.67
Sarr = 6.50
Fosu = 6.50
Cullen = 6.43
Vetokele = 6.09
Reeves = 6.06
Steer = 6.02
Page = 5.96

Team Average = 6.46

At The Game....

@blackpool72 : Just got home from a great day out.
I can't believe some on here are saying we were lucky or that a draw was a fair result.
We absolutely dominated them for about 25 minutes in the second half and should have been winning comfortably.
But as I said to my mate's all the while it remains 1.0 it can all go wrong.
When Luton equalised I thought it was totally against the run of play and when they took the lead I just thought bollox.
But the last five minutes of the game we hit the crossbar twice and had one cleared of the line.
And then along came super Solly to equalise.
The Charlton supporters who I thought had been great throughout went mental and justice had been done.
Bowyer now has options from the bench and it was lovely to see Fosu and Vetokele back playing.

Matchday Links

Preview
Match Thread
Post Match Views
Player Marks Thread
Statbank

Return to 2018/19 fixtures HERE

(Photo credit: Kyle Andrews)