Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Ballance just hit 150 off not many tbf ;)
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/marcus-hooks-surrey-ccc-column-there-is-a-reason-why-the-story-has-been-wickets-rather-than-runs-at-the-start-of-the-season/

Hadn't realised that this season the red balls have less of a seam and both sides have access to the heavy roller. That's why run scoring has been really good when compared to previous games in April
  • edited April 2019
    Pretty much the squad we all expected. Suspect it was between Dawson and Denly for the back up spinner role. The beauty of this squad is we actually have options in ever role and some bloody good players are gonna miss out. 

I posted the below on the Surrey thread.

"well the rumours from the last England white ball tour that Plunkett had suddenly 'Lost it' seem correct. I would prefer Dernbach in the side right now.

Unless something changes he should not be in the final world cup squad. And this is coming from soemoene who is a big fan of Liam and was delighted when we signed him. I also felt he should have gone on the last ashes tour.

But at 34 now and reportedly having lost a yard and a half of pace it may be that he simply isn't the bowler he was a year ago."

Plunkett has been huge in turning around England's white ball bowling unit and that 6 he hit off the last ball to tie the match was a great moment. But their is no room for sentiment when it comes to the world cup. He just cannot be in the squad. Archer in for him and then the question is Jordan or Tom Curran depending on who performs in the ODI's. 

Willey is least likely to play but most likely to make the squad as they will want a left arm option.

cantersaddick His lack of form has carried on tonight so far with 6-0-57-1 which followed 7-0-67-0  in his first 50 over game and 18-4-85-1 in the County Championship.
  • Pretty much the squad we all expected. Suspect it was between Dawson and Denly for the back up spinner role. The beauty of this squad is we actually have options in ever role and some bloody good players are gonna miss out. 

"well the rumours from the last England white ball tour that Plunkett had suddenly 'Lost it' seem correct. I would prefer Dernbach in the side right now.

Unless something changes he should not be in the final world cup squad. And this is coming from soemoene who is a big fan of Liam and was delighted when we signed him. I also felt he should have gone on the last ashes tour.

But at 34 now and reportedly having lost a yard and a half of pace it may be that he simply isn't the bowler he was a year ago."

Plunkett has been huge in turning around England's white ball bowling unit and that 6 he hit off the last ball to tie the match was a great moment. But their is no room for sentiment when it comes to the world cup. He just cannot be in the squad. Archer in for him and then the question is Jordan or Tom Curran depending on who performs in the ODI's. 

Willey is least likely to play but most likely to make the squad as they will want a left arm option.

cantersaddick His lack of form has carried on tonight so far with 6-0-57-1 which followed 7-0-67-0  in his first 50 over game and 18-4-85-1 in the County Championship.
    Yeah its been discussed on the Surrey thread.

Hate to say this but I think it's a terminal decline rather than a short term drop in form.
  • edited April 2019
    That's what married life does to you! My bowling went downhill too 29 years ago...
  • Pretty much the squad we all expected. Suspect it was between Dawson and Denly for the back up spinner role. The beauty of this squad is we actually have options in ever role and some bloody good players are gonna miss out. 

Yeah its been discussed on the Surrey thread.

Hate to say this but I think it's a terminal decline rather than a short term drop in form.
    I appreciate you can afford it but one month into a three year deal is going to make it quite an expensive signing.
  • Leuth said:
    Ballance just hit 150 off not many tbf ;)
    Get him in the squad!!
  • ICC W/C tickets back on sale NOW.
    I just got a Bedser Stand Restricted view ticket for Eng V SA Thursday 30th May at Oval.
    Now got Eng v SA, WI & Aus.
  • We now know why Alex Hales was unavailable for "personal reasons". He is serving a 21 day ban for the use of recreational drugs.
  • Just seen that both Ollie Pope & Sam Billings are out for a number of months with shoulder injuries. Shame because I thought Billings looked good in the shorter version of the game & Pope a handy batsman for the Test series. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We now know why Alex Hales was unavailable for "personal reasons". He is serving a 21 day ban for the use of recreational drugs.
    Probably bemoaning the fact he can't go out for a drink anymore so stayed in & done a few lines.....
  • Just seen that both Ollie Pope & Sam Billings are out for a number of months with shoulder injuries. Shame because I thought Billings looked good in the shorter version of the game & Pope a handy batsman for the Test series. 
    Pope out for the season. Had to have surgery on the shoulder. 

Surrey have a full 11 unavailable.
  • edited April 2019
    Just seen that both Ollie Pope & Sam Billings are out for a number of months with shoulder injuries. Shame because I thought Billings looked good in the shorter version of the game & Pope a handy batsman for the Test series. 
    Pope out for the season. Had to have surgery on the shoulder. 

Surrey have a full 11 unavailable.
    Lucky you have about 40 players on the books then, ain't it? :-)
  • Alex Hales has been withdrawn from all England squads by the ECB.
  • Alex Hales has been withdrawn from all England squads by the ECB.
    Will be a huge loss if we get any injuries, makes the selection easy if we dont (top 5 of Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan and Buttler). 

I believe James Vince will be added to the squad now. 
  • Right call. But has had enough chances.

Shame that Billings is out as he would surely be the one to come in. 

Looks like Vince or Malan. 

Personally I would go Luke Wright. Not a long term solution but as a temporary option as back up I think he is perfect.

Fits the style the team plays, experienced and has gone round the world playing against the best in BBL/IPL.
  • It's all going perfectly wrong for England, just before the world cup, again. 

• Right call. But has had enough chances.

Shame that Billings is out as he would surely be the one to come in. 

Looks like Vince or Malan. 

Personally I would go Luke Wright. Not a long term solution but as a temporary option as back up I think he is perfect.

Fits the style the team plays, experienced and has gone round the world playing against the best in BBL/IPL.
    Luke Wright has found some form but might England not go for the option of bringing Archer in for Hales? Yes I know it's not a direct swap but it saves upsetting anyone and we also have the following who can all bat comfortably in the top 6:

Roy
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Root
    Morgan
    Moeen
    Stokes
    Denly

The other 7 squad members are hardly mugs with the bat too and if we do have an injury we can always send Willey in up top as a pinch hitter. 

• To be honest I was surprised we had Denly going, I didn't think we needed 7 batsman when Ali and Stokes are decent batsman too. 

So I agree Archer for Hales would be a decent option. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Statement from Alex Hales' management company

The 366 Group statement said: "We are hugely disappointed at the treatment of our client, Alex Hales, by the ECB following his ejection from England's preliminary World Cup squad.

"Nobody is seeking to excuse Alex's behaviour in this instance. He absolutely acknowledges and recognises he made a huge mistake.

"But as part of the ongoing process, both he and his representatives have been involved in many conversations with senior members of the ECB over the past few weeks where Alex has apologised profusely for his actions.

"The ECB insisted on Alex taking certain rehabilitation measures following his suspension. In line with both the ECB and PCA guidelines, those measures must remain confidential.

"However, at every stage, Alex fulfilled his obligations and both he and his representatives were given assurances that any suspension - again under the ECB's guidelines - could not affect his selection for the World Cup.

"It is unfortunate that a confidential matter made it to the public arena but, even before the publication of the story, Alex had again spoken to key members of the England organisation to express his regret and contrition. At that time, he again took away the message his World Cup place would be judged on playing merit.

"The fact all those assurances seem to have been rendered meaningless has understandably left Alex devastated. He will take time to reflect on both his actions and the subsequent decisions but will receive the support from his team he deserves.

"Until the matter became public, the ECB had fully observed their own process and guidelines and given Alex the support and guidance laid out in those regulations.

"It is now disappointing to learn these guidelines seem to have been disregarded while, in this instance, player welfare would also appear to be low on their list of priorities.

"While Alex is hurt, the ECB's decision does not dilute his commitment to the game and he will continue to give everything to Nottinghamshire's cause. He would also like to wish England team-mates well for the World Cup."

How many "mistakes" does Hales and his management company want to have "excused"?  Hales should not need to be given "guidelines". He is a professional sportsman who cannot resist alcohol and drugs and needs time to sort himself out. And that is tough as it means him missing the World Cup but this certainly isn't the wrong decision.

• I think it's a nonsense of a decision tbh but then again I hate the England team being run like an army battalion
  • I mean, for a start, no other team will be disappointed Hales isn't in the squad. The guy is an extremely dangerous batsman 
  • Leuth said:
    I mean, for a start, no other team will be disappointed Hales isn't in the squad. The guy is an extremely dangerous batsman 
    So you wouldn't object if Garry Ballance was banned for example?

Hales isn't some 18 year old kid. If he has a serious problem then he needs a good time away from the game to get help and take all the time to sort himself out. If he isn't an addict then more fool him. Because with his previous brushes and the fact that he is 30 he will probably never truly learn until the game takes something away from him. As opposed to him short changing the game as well as himself.
  • He's been withdrawn from the squad but that doesn't mean he's completely out of the WC as the final squads don't have to be submitted for a few weeks yet, although it seems unlikely

Slightly offputting to see a statement from his "management company" but that I guess is the world of the modern cricketer
  • He's been withdrawn from the squad but that doesn't mean he's completely out of the WC as the final squads don't have to be submitted for a few weeks yet, although it seems unlikely

Slightly offputting to see a statement from his "management company" but that I guess is the world of the modern cricketer
    No, Hales is OUT of the ICC World Cup. Ashley Giles made that quite clear. 
  • Would anyone care to venture a guess as to why Hales was picked in the initial World Cup squad? 
  • Typical ECB miss management, like the Stokes affair and him not being picked although he hadn't been found guilty of anything and subsequently wasn't either. Probably too many so called legal experts employed by the ECB giving poor advice. However the main reason the ECB come over as a bunch of twits can be summed up in two words: Ashley Giles. 
  • I heard on the news tonight that it was only the weekend just gone when the players met up at Lord's that the selectors found out why he had been suspended. As soon as they found out then they dropped him. 
  • I heard on the news tonight that it was only the weekend just gone when the players met up at Lord's that the selectors found out why he had been suspended. As soon as they found out then they dropped him. 
    That can't be true. 

Hales failed his test before the squad was announced.  But, as he has a central contract and is "serving" a suspended four-game ban, the ECB Chief Executive Tom Harrison and Ashley Giles, the ECB director of cricket would have been notified at the same time as Hales about his failed test. 

So they both knew he'd failed the test before the squad was announced.  Yet they announced his inclusion.  

Someone has cocked up enormously here, not just Hales himself.  We now have to win the World Cup in order to prevent very difficult questions being asked of Ashley Giles.  This Summer hasn't started well at all.