Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Many miles have I travelled (match day travel how far do you travel to home games)

13»

Comments

• 10 minutes to walk and about 5-6 hours coming home via Royal Oak, Bugle and Swan  ;)
  • few miles down the road from Welling, normally drive or jump on a train from Abbey Wood
  • East Grinstead to Charlton - about 50mins each way on a clean run. Or about an hour on the train from Three Bridges
  • I used to live in The Heights so a nice stroll down to the ground. Now it's a 286 mile round trip from Warwickshire.
  • Used to do 900 mile round trip from Kinross in Scotland. Friday night bus down, Saturday night bus back. So many times I had to go into work on a sunday after just getting off the bus. 
    Impressive. Don't think I could do that!
    Was tough sometimes, hated missing the midweek matches... Great doing Carlisle though... 
  • Used to do 900 mile round trip from Kinross in Scotland. Friday night bus down, Saturday night bus back. So many times I had to go into work on a sunday after just getting off the bus. 
    Blimey 
    How many times a season were you doing that
    Just had a look on Google maps are you exaggerating this by 15 miles
    Impressive. Don't think I could do that!
    Was tough sometimes, hated missing the midweek matches... Great doing Carlisle though... 
    Love it when we are in same division as Carlisle and have a "home" match. Usually means we get promoted too!
  • 200 mile round trip for me from Norwich. Used to be season ticket holder in late 90s up until 2008. Now only selective games.
  • edited June 2019
    Nearest I have ever lived to Charlton was Barnes in West London. 45 mins on a good day and would usually be back in doors by 6PM on match days.

Back in Eastbourne now so 140 mile round journey. Managed to get to 30 league matches last season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    Used to do 900 mile round trip from Kinross in Scotland. Friday night bus down, Saturday night bus back. So many times I had to go into work on a sunday after just getting off the bus. 
    That will be the detour to the nearest petrol station...
  • I'n my lifetime i've lived the following distances from the valley....

-6.7 miles
    -212 miles
    -5.1 miles
    -7.3 miles
    -2.2 miles
    -4.2 miles
    -2.6 miles
    -6.7 miles
    and now currently 7.2 miles

• About 250 mile round trip from North Norfolk for me:

B1354 to Thursford
    A148 to Fakenham
    A1065 to Mundford
    A134 to Thetford
    A11 (dual carriageway at last after 40 miles of single lane stuff)
    M11
    North Circular, A12, Blackwall Tunnel
    ... and then find a parking spot in Charlton, station side of The Valley

On a good day I can do it in about 2½-2¾ hours ... but normally it's over 3 hours :(

If I wanted to take the train my closest station is Sheringham (about 11 miles away). I'd then need a train to Norwich, then to Liverpool Street, tube across town, back down to Charlton. Alternatively (and probably quicker) I'd go to King's Lynn (c30 miles), train to Kings Cross, tube etc. The train isn't an option for midweek games though.
  • clb74 said:
    Used to do 900 mile round trip from Kinross in Scotland. Friday night bus down, Saturday night bus back. So many times I had to go into work on a sunday after just getting off the bus. 
    Not the way the city link drivers went
  • clb74 said:
    Blimey 

All the Saturday games except the Christmas and Easter games when I was back down visiting family. Probably 12 games a season, murder when it was consecutive Saturday home games.
  • Bus was about £20 return at the time...I had to drive to Dunfermline and leave my car at a mates house, the bloody week I left to return back south they decided to put in an additional stop in at Kinross. I did meet the Dundee lads on the odd occasion.
  • About 250 mile round trip from North Norfolk for me:

B1354 to Thursford
    A148 to Fakenham
    A1065 to Mundford
    A134 to Thetford
    A11 (dual carriageway at last after 40 miles of single lane stuff)
    M11
    North Circular, A12, Blackwall Tunnel
    ... and then find a parking spot in Charlton, station side of The Valley

On a good day I can do it in about 2½-2¾ hours ... but normally it's over 3 hours :(

If I wanted to take the train my closest station is Sheringham (about 11 miles away). I'd then need a train to Norwich, then to Liverpool Street, tube across town, back down to Charlton. Alternatively (and probably quicker) I'd go to King's Lynn (c30 miles), train to Kings Cross, tube etc. The train isn't an option for midweek games though.
    Really didn’t know that people actually called it ‘North Norfolk’ until a good mate of mine has just moved to Wells. 
    Very insistent about it to she is.  
  • edited June 2019
     Round trip from Norwich when not in Middle-East.

• clb74 said:
    Blimey 

All the Saturday games except the Christmas and Easter games when I was back down visiting family. Probably 12 games a season, murder when it was consecutive Saturday home games.
    Your mental chippy how long was the journey.
    If it was the club coaches and a consecutive Saturday by the time you got back to Scotland they'd turn the coach round for the next Saturday's game.
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey 

If it was the club coaches and a consecutive Saturday by the time you got back to Scotland they'd turn the coach round for the next Saturday's game.
    It wasn't as bad as you think..it was non stop on the way down from Hamilton and took about 8 hours... And simular on the way back. I got into to Victoria about 7.30am. I sometimes went to Gravesend to see my parents then back to the valley.

The worst bit was after the games and had 6 hours to kill before going home. Scottish City link would not allow drunks on but luckily then pubs werent open all day. Bus got into dunfermline about 7.00 and then occasionally I had to leg it into work for 07.30.. In those days you had to clock in. 

• Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey 

It wasn't as bad as you think..it was non stop on the way down from Hamilton and took about 8 hours... And simular on the way back. I got into to Victoria about 7.30am. I sometimes went to Gravesend to see my parents then back to the valley.

The worst bit was after the games and had 6 hours to kill before going home. Scottish City link would not allow drunks on but luckily then pubs werent open all day. Bus got into dunfermline about 7.00 and then occasionally I had to leg it into work for 07.30.. In those days you had to clock in. 

The one time I did the coach we got in to Glasgow about 6.30. The first train to Dumbarton wasn't til 9.00. So I checked the signs at coach station and there was a coach leaving for Oban at 7.00. The coach passes through Dumbarton so I asked the driver if I could get a single to Dumbarton. He said yes but that in 20 years of driving the route he'd never been asked for a single to Dumbarton!  As I walked up the aisle the next person got on "Can I get a single ticket to Dumbarton?" :-)
  • Sydenham to Charlton.  Not very far but often not a fun journey back on a cold, wet Tuesday in SE London.
  • Cornwall. As I get older it seems to take forever to get to The Valley.

And even longer to get back home again.

Don't even mention getting to Wembley on a Sunday ..... leaving home at 5.30 in the morning and a 10 mile walk to the station, because impossible to book a taxi. Luckily it was low tide crossing the ford in the creek and I didn't get my feet wet.

Bonus: As I was almost on top of him, seeing a heron silently take off from the misty mud flats.
    And seeing Bauer score the winner a few seconds from the end.