Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• I am seriously trying to think of a better midfielder in the division and not getting too far.
    In terms of style of play it's possible we have the next best in Oztumer. In any case we're very fortunate to have both. 
  • I am seriously trying to think of a better midfielder in the division and not getting too far.
    In terms of the type of Midfielder he is I'd agree...

But you do have the likes of Tom Cairney and Harry Arter at Fulham who may give him a run for his money in October
  • Adding more goals would be beneficial but even without them it's hardly a massive loss when the likes of Oztumer and Gallagher will probably be chipping in goals from midfield, possibly Aneke too. He just needs to keep doing what he does.
  • thenewbie said:
    Adding more goals would be beneficial but even without them it's hardly a massive loss when the likes of Oztumer and Gallagher will probably be chipping in goals from midfield, possibly Aneke too. He just needs to keep doing what he does.
    Very true. But imagine his smile if he was to score in front of The Covered End...
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Think it says all you need to about Jonny that he is adored by both Charlton and Palace. Not many achieve that and is testament to what an excellent person and player he is.
    Chris Powell?
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Think it says all you need to about Jonny that he is adored by both Charlton and Palace. Not many achieve that and is testament to what an excellent person and player he is.
    Chris Powell?
    Do they care that much about him? - Only played three games there
  • Sponsored links:

• Love the bloke, got the potential to be my favourite players for years. Done my nut in when some weren't sure about him last season.
    I have to admit I wasn't sure last year, from what I saw there was a lot of pace and trickery with not enough end result, I've been shoveling that humble pie down since Wembley and long may it continue!
  • Apparently made a difference for Wales at the weekend when he came on and tonight (albeit a friendly) has had a very good first half.
  • edited September 2019
    RC_CAFC said:
    I agree,  the fact he played in playoff finals has added to that.

Having said that both Bright and Salako won promotion with us but it didn't feel the same although lets remember Mark played in the first Sunderland playoff final and laid on the first goal for Mendonca. Salako even scored for us against Palace. 
  • Richard J said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I agree,  the fact he played in playoff finals has added to that.

Having said that both Bright and Salako won promotion with us both it didn't feel the same although lets remember Mark played in the first Sunderland playoff final and laid on the first goal for Mendonca. Salako even scored for us against Palace. 
    Pardew is obviously far more Palace, but was reasonably popular as a player with us and when he first took over as manager...
  • One of my overriding memories of this season so far is having been in crossbars for about an hour after the Nottingham forest game and seeing Jonny out doing sprints on the pitch.
  • edited September 2019
    Potentially another example where only a One Year contract goes tits up.
  • Halix said:
    Potentially another example where only a One Year contract goes tits up.
    I could be wrong but I think we have the option of a year’s extension to the contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• IR94 said:
    Love the bloke, got the potential to be my favourite players for years. Done my nut in when some weren't sure about him last season.
    Still shocked that some didn't want to resign him, absolute joy to watch
    I wanted to resign him but he was in and out last year, relative to his ability. This season he has been outstanding and is undeniably now my favourite player 
  • My favourite player since Johnnie Jackson . Has improved since last year . Brilliant attitude and plays with a smile on his face   .Hope we can tie him down for another few years . 
  • He is a wonderful player and I hope he stays fit as he is still young enough to have a huge future in the game.  There is definitely a second year option but it was not stated who’s favour it was in - ie does he have to agree to it?

My concern would be that if he stays fit and hits his full potential,  he may well go back to Palace if they stay up and we don’t go up - he seems to like living local and they will be able to offer significantly higher wages than us
  • Sage said:
    Fantastic player that is complimented by being a fantastic person too.

We all have our favourite players, but for me Jonny is up there with my favourite players. He is so intelligent, so talented and skilful. If he added or could add goals to his game, I have no doubt he would be playing regularly in the Premier League. In terms of influence on the team and quality, I would have him along the same category as Pablo Hernandez at Leeds. If Williams was to add goals and say get 6/7 this season, huge for someone who has only scored 1 in 5 seasons, albeit not many games, I think he would easily be classed as one of the best players in this league.

We are lucky to have him and long may his form, health, performances, and consistency continue.
    To me, he’s a season away from being able to play regularly in the PL. He’s definitely talented enough but winning and holding a regular place is another matter, unless the team he is playing for is Charlton and he doesn’t have the battle of winning over the manager, coaching staff and the fans.
  • Got to offer him 3 year deal minimum, he was the best Charlton player I'd seen for years in the Wales performance last night. 

Made me feel proud again to watch a Charlton International. 
    Again it all comes down to the numbers. He took a big pay cut to sign up for this season, and would be unlikely to sign a long term deal unless it was at a much higher level, which won't happen without a takeover.