Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Teenage boys goes blind due to poor diet

Saw on the news about a teenage boy going blind due to poor diet junk food etc. 
My mum always said it was something else that would make you go blind. 

Comments

• In my day it was too much masturbating.

• Saw on the news about a teenage boy going blind due to poor diet junk food etc. 

Yeah, but I bet you ignored your mum. Right?
  • addick05 said:
    Saw on the news about a teenage boy going blind due to poor diet junk food etc. 

Yeah, but I bet you ignored your mum. Right?
    Don't know what you mean
  • At least I now have a story I can put the fear of God into my kids with... And not have to mention wanking
  • This thread should be combined with “the talk” thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having read what his diet consisted of, apart from the occasional slice of ham, he was a vegan.

• edited September 2019

Having read what his diet consisted of, apart from the occasional slice of ham, he was a vegan.

So are you equating veganism with being a wanker?

I think there's a broader question here. Are you allowed to touch your meat if you're vegan?
  • can't understand the frivolity over this topic. This young man is a victim of both parental and, it would seem, healthcare neglect. Surely there are vitamin supplements that would have prevented the worst consequences of his dietary habits. How could his parents have let the situation get so far ?
    This teenager now has irreparable eyesight and probably other physical defects and damage. His life is ruined. It is a very sad case and needs a careful review by the 'authorities', that's if there is any authority left in this benighted era. 
  • can't understand the frivolity over this topic. This young man is a victim of both parental and, it would seem, healthcare neglect. Surely there are vitamin supplements that would have prevented the worst consequences of his dietary habits. How could his parents have let the situation get so far ?
    This teenager now has irreparable eyesight and probably other physical defects and damage. His life is ruined. It is a very sad case and needs a careful review by the 'authorities', that's if there is any authority left in this benighted era. 
    I half agree, but responsibility lies squarely with the parents. I don't think it's helpful that there always has to be some faceless institution or 'authority' to blame. 
  • edited September 2019
    Uboat said:
    can't understand the frivolity over this topic. This young man is a victim of both parental and, it would seem, healthcare neglect. Surely there are vitamin supplements that would have prevented the worst consequences of his dietary habits. How could his parents have let the situation get so far ?
    I half agree, but responsibility lies squarely with the parents. I don't think it's helpful that there always has to be some faceless institution or 'authority' to blame. 
    I think you and @Lincsaddick actually agree re it being the fault of the parents.

My understanding of what he is saying is that there should have been some intervention by the authorities because of what, if the reports are accurate, appears to be pretty blatant neglect of a child by the parents.

EDIT: It's a tragedy in any event and more so because it could have been easily prevented.
  • It is not unusual for some kids to be ridiculously fussy about their food but this normally improves. Where it doesn't and the diet is ridiculous, we see the results.
  • I thought there was some genetic issue that meant he ended up like this because of his diet. I don't think it was inevitable given what he ate and I'm fairly sure there are other kids out there eating similarly crap diets of just chips, crisps and white bread who won't go blind unless they also have the same issue he had.