Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton | Sat 21 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21st September 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)

Introduction
Warning this is not a drill, I repeat this is not a drill… the Valley has been breached!! – We all knew it would happen eventually; Birmingham visiting last Saturday would be the first team in nearly a year to take three points away from South East London. Of course to go a full season undefeated would have been something that no one would have imagined – So whilst the ramparts get rebuild, stronger and taller, lets head out on a road trip as we journey back up North to face Wigan Athletic

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic | Manager: Paul Cook
Ground: DW Stadium

To be honest there arent many sides who can be considered yo-yo teams anymore… Gone are the days of most teams bouncing from relegation to promotion in successive years, when teams get relegated these days it can take a few seasons to recover but in Wigan it’s the same old blueprint!!

Promoted back to the Championship in 2017/18, they would win League One at a canter – Life back in the second tier would be interesting though, would they succumb to another year of alternating between Divisions or would they finally be able to consolidate and secure safety for the first time since 2014!!... Well the short answer is yes (of course they did else we wouldn’t be playing them), the long answer is only just – Finishing 18th and only twelve points from the drop, life is never easy in this part of Lancashire!!

So whats next for Paul Cook and his Lactics – Would they take the next step or would they struggle again? – Well the loss of Nick Powell to Stoke would never be easy yet it looks to be another year of struggle… Goal Difference keeps them above Barnsley, and with just one win this season (an impressive 3-2 win over Cardiff) it means that our opponents could well be lucky to ensure Championship Football come next May

Should Charlton nose dive down the League, then this is the sort of game we must win!!

Charlton Team News
So with the first defeat out of the way how does Bowyer turn? – In all honesty we didn’t deserve to lose against Birmingham and whilst some individual performances weren’t up to the standards we’ve come to expect, it was a performance where on another day we would have taken something from the game

Ultimately then does Lee make wholesale changes; Williams in for Oztumer is the obvious choice but the biggest question is do the loan signings have to play – If that’s the case then we wont see many other replacements, otherwise you’d expect to see Darren Pratley making a return in midfield at the very least!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Williams
Gallagher
Hemed | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Field | Kayal | Oztumer | Aneke | Bonne

Prediction
From my own perspective this is when it gets interesting under Bowyer’s stewardship… We’ve seen that he can cope with the rigours of League One, and whilst he’s achieved an impressive start at this level it could still easily go sour – How we bounce back from defeat is what’ll matter, we’ve yet to lose two games on the trot under the current Management, lets not start now!!

Comments

• Options
    I usually make most of the northern games, but have to give this one a miss.

A great preview as usual .. Agree with the Pratley/Field swap and in Taylor's absence I would go for Bonne and Aneke up front .. it's time they were both given a long run out. (It could be though that WBA insist that their boys are given regular game time. If so that ties Bowyer's hands and I can't really see that he would agree to that.)

A bit negative thinking perhaps but I'd be happy with a draw here even though Wigan are in terrible form and have conceded almost two goals per game whilst scoring under one per game.
     As the preview states, it will be a good test for our new team after a loss and without their talisman.

Wigan Athletic 0 v CAFC 0 .. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Feeling unusually confident for this game, even without out talisman Lewis Page Lyle Taylor. I genuinely feel this is a game we will win, indeed that's the main reason I'm going to this game as many of the other away games in the next few weeks are more attractive but will be (on paper) much harder. 

Of course nothing is easy, but we really should be targeting the 3 points whether it's to continue our unlikely quest for promotion OR being more pessimistic if you see it as a potential relegation 3 pointer! Win this and we'll be 12 point ahead of Wigan, a nice cushion, lose this and it'll be 2 losses on the spin with Leeds and a tough run of fixtures to follow...

• Options
    I would play Hemed up front with Chucks in the number 10 roll. Could give Williams space.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Lapslie certainly wont be involved, hamstring injury

https://t.co/5VZgpZC3mL?amp=1
  • Options
    Jason Pearce has picked up a knock but should be okay for Saturday
  • Options
    Jason Pearce has picked up a knock but should be okay for Saturday
    He'll want to play that match as it's his former club
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    I'd take a draw right now ... 

1-1 Hemed
  • Options
    Back to winning ways with a late Chucks goal.
  • Options
    Nailed on 5-0 defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First line of your introduction FA, I  thought you had become a dentist, fair put the wind up me, as I hate fillings. 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Sadly, no Taylor no goals seems to be our pattern. I can see this being 1-0 to the Pie Eaters, closely fought match amongst two of the pre-season relegation favourites. Wigan won't underestimate us and I think we will need Pratley's physicality. Love to be wrong on this but our record without Lyle is dire
  • Options
    Good preview as ever FA , I fancy we might surprise a few people and nick an away win up there , 1 - 0 Charlton , Gallagher re-finds his scoring boots.
  • Options
    It is not just the goals and the assists we miss with Taylor, bad as that is. His overall mobility and aggression adds to our attacking danger.

I really struggle to see how that can be compensated for with a semi-fit Hemed and a junior striker in Bonne. Best bet for the next 4 games is to shut up shop, play 2 defensive mids in front of the back four, my choice would be Pratley and Cullen, and hope we can keep clean sheets with some attacking threat in Leko and Gallagher. It is a tough ask.
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    Following our 1st defeat of the season it will be interesting to see how we respond. 
    Not having Lyle in the side makes things harder but it's something we are going to have to deal with until he returns. 
    Personally I think Wigan are going to struggle this season and this gives us an opportunity to bounce back from the Birmingham game and restore a bit of confidence before the tougher games come think and fast. 
    Charlton to win 2.1 and keep the feel good factor  going.
  • Options
    not confident about this one, 2-0 defeat - hope I'm wrong
  • Options
    1-1.
  • Options
    about to start a run which i haven't done for a while of attending games 
    Wigan, Leeds, swansea and fulham 

the charlton way we will lose to Wigan and beat Leeds and Fulham. 

really do think we need to win this one. as the next 3 sides we play you would expect to be in the thick of the promotion spots. 

also mentally gets us back from that loss which would be a good thing. 

wigan have not won in 5 so they must be doing something wrong. 
  • Options
    0-1 as the Turkish Messi has a blinder. 
  • Options
    Phillips 
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Kayal
    Williams
    Bonne Leko

I think if we go with a young pairing up top for a smash and grab start.

Then bring Hemed on to use his experience as the game draws on to hold out for the win.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Phillips 
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Kayal
    Williams
    Bonne Leko

I think if we go with a young pairing up top for a smash and grab start.

Then bring Hemed on to use his experience as the game draws on to hold out for the win.

Pearce for Sarr and that line up aint a bad shout 
  • Options
    I'd also swap Gallagher for Kayal in that line up Dazzler

Think the latter needs a few more cameo performances to improve his final ball first
  • Options
    Very interesting write-up FA and I agree with your team again. Some people are saying Aneke up front, but LB has already said he was disappointed with him in that role and thinks he is a No. 10, although with Williams and Oztumer, I do not how he will get in the team. Without Taylor, I cannot see us scoring many goals until he comes back, but I would be very happy with a 0-1 win, even though the game will be a squeaky bum game, the same as the next few games
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    No chance Bonne and Leko will start up front together. One is still not really ready and the other is a winger by trade being played up front as our wildcard as Bow has called him. We will start with Hemed, but I won’t be surprised to see Bonne come on at some stage, likely for Leko.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'd also swap Gallagher for Kayal in that line up Dazzler

Think the latter needs a few more cameo performances to improve his final ball first
     Think he's spent a Few years on bigger pitches.

Gallagher is starting to look tired and some of those tackles of his are getting a bit late. I'd have him as a bench option.

Pearce if not 100% I'd give a bench spot. Better to not risk him imo.
  • Options
    2-0 win COYR!
  • Options
    Forget the result.
    I can top my tan up saturday

• Options
    Only one winner here sadly........

2-1 & we fall out of the play-offs.
  • Options
    2--0 to the Reds. Back to winning ways. Just a feeling.