Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Free kicks around the box

surely we must have a least one player that can take a shot at goal when we have a free kick just outside the box. Sarr did it perfectly at Wimbledon last season. Lyle has managed it but I think that’s the only time he has taken a shot at goal. This telegraph we are going to cross it to Sarr at the far post tactic is a waste of an opportunity 

Comments

• That free from JFC that went out of play was too far out for a shot really. 
  • Too far out and too far wide for a shot. Though with the incredibly high line Derby were playing, a short ball into Leko on the left to then drill across the 6 yard box would have been a better bet
  • sam3110 said:
    Too far out and too far wide for a shot. Though with the incredibly high line Derby were playing, a short ball into Leko on the left to then drill across the 6 yard box would have been a better bet
    Yeah I thought at the time a short pass would've been best there. 
  • We have players spraying pinpoint passes around all match, it’s the same principle except they have to pass it into the back of the net.
  • Talal said:
    That free from JFC that went out of play was too far out for a shot really. 
    Never too far out. It could get a deflection or the keeper spill it & a player follows up...or the keeper just has a howler & lets it in. 3 opportunities to score.....much better than yesterdays non-effort.
  • Just to add.....we dont seem to be getting any free kicks on the edge of the box /25 yards out. A few years ago when (long haired sneaky bastard) Holmes was here we got a fair few & a certain "my legs have gone" Jackson scored a few himself. Gallagher scored a few for Chelsea's reserves I seem to recall. 
  • edited October 2019
    Yet again, a thread is started by someone who believes they can coach a professional football team!

Maybe LB, JJ et al have decided, after watching the players, day in and day out, that we don't have anyone in the team who are capable of hitting the target from that type of free kick? Or they have analysed the potential of scoring, and have decided that we have more chance of scoring from overloading the box, and scoring from a header, or from a second touch in the area? (For example, our second yesterday, or the winner at Wembley. I believe we were one of the best teams in the league last season from dead ball situations, and I don't remember us scoring a single direct free kick...) Or, the coaches consider the danger of a direct free kick cannoning off the wall, and leading to an opposition counter attack as more of a threat, than a possible worldy free kick flying into the top corner?

We have just beaten Derby County, one of the favourites for promotion at the start of the season, 3-0.

Maybe, just maybe, our coaching staff know what they are doing?
  • It's what discussion forums are for. 
  • edited October 2019
    Yet again, a thread is started by someone who believes they can coach a professional football team!

Maybe LB, JJ et al have decided, after watching the players, day in and day out, that we don't have anyone in the team who are capable of hitting the target from that type of free kick? Or they have analysed the potential of scoring, and have decided that we have more chance of scoring from overloading the box, and scoring from a header, or from a second touch in the area? (For example, our second yesterday, or the winner at Wembley. I believe we were one of the best teams in the league last season from dead ball situations, and I don't remember us scoring a single direct free kick...) Or, the coaches consider the danger of a direct free kick cannoning off the wall, and leading to an opposition counter attack as more of a threat, than a possible worldy free kick flying into the top corner?

We have just beaten Derby County, one of the favourites for promotion at the start of the season, 3-0.

< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzEUEbTIv0 >
  • Sponsored links:

• Yet again, a thread is started by someone who believes they can coach a professional football team!

when a team concedes a free kick in those situations do you honestly think any manager, coach, defending player, goalkeeper or fan is remotely worried there is a danger the opposition will cross the ball so that the defence can more easily deal with it ? 
  • Yet again, a thread is started by someone who believes they can coach a professional football team!

when a team concedes a free kick in those situations do you honestly think any manager, coach, defending player, goalkeeper or fan is remotely worried there is a danger the opposition will cross the ball so that the defence can more easily deal with it ? 
    Let's turn this around... 

Do you think that Lee Bowyer and Johnnie Jackson watch the players train every day, and do things the way they do, just to wind you up?

Or, do you think you know better than them?

I think they do things that way for a reason, and far be it to for me question their motivation for doing it that way.
  • Possible candidates - Gallagher, Bonne & Leko.
  • I said weeks ago I’d let Gallagher have a go. The technique on his shot yesterday was excellent, he’s got to be worth a go.
    100%. Gallagher has a very good free kick on him and if he were to take one and score he will cement his name as baby Beckham.

In all seriousness, Conor does have a good set piece and I think it’s only a matter of time before he is allowed to have a go. 

Let's turn this around... 

Do you think that Lee Bowyer and Johnnie Jackson watch the players train every day, and do things the way they do, just to wind you up?

Or, do you think you know better than them?

I think they do things that way for a reason, and far be it to for me question their motivation for doing it that way.
    It could be that the players take things into their own hands once on ths pitch. Think it's too far out &  just go for the easier option.
  • Kermogant and JJ were masters of the free kick - never really been replaced. Surprised Gallagher isn't given a chance?
  • Kermogant and JJ were masters of the free kick - never really been replaced. Surprised Gallagher isn't given a chance?
    Or perhaps we have tried him in training and he is less accurate than Cullen or JFK. We know, from Bowyer's interviews, that JJ works a lot with players on set pieces. Our second goal was scored from a set piece on Saturday and we have quite a few. Agreed mostly corners rather than free kicks.