Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cork City striker Seán Maguire

Comments

• He's actually quite good - My Irish sporting FB link shows lots of clips of him. We have no chance of getting him though, as he will go for around a million I reckon...
  • edited April 2017
    1 million is not a lot.... we should buy about 5 players this offseason for that amount, frankly. If we had a smart owner, that is.
  • 1 million is not a lot.... we should buy about 5 players this offseason for that amount, frankly. If we had a smart owner, that is.

At our level a million is a lot, which shows the disparity between the Prem and then each division as you go further down.

I feel like Sheff United spent more than 1m on Caruthers, I'm trying to think of others who League One clubs have bout in recent years for that much and there aren't any off the top of my head.
  • Will Gregg was a million to Wigan from Brentford.
  • 8-10m for a striker in the Championship isn't farfetched anymore. It means 1-2m for a goalscorer in League One is pocket change nowadays.
  • edited April 2017
    Yeah, I wanted Carruthers bad in the last transfer market. Wanted Bogle too.
  • edited April 2017

Will Gregg was a million to Wigan from Brentford.

Think Saints paid a million for Ricky Lambert too which was a few seasons ago now, and weren't we supposed to have paid about $800K for Ajose?

If you are genuinely ambitious at this level then to get a goal scoring striker will probably cost you something in the region of a million. Not all teams at this level can afford to pay it, but those that are going to get out of the division (in the upward direction) probably can and will.

Under Roland's ownership we have probably spent more money than at any time since we were relegated from the prem, possibly the first season down excluded. The willingness to spend the money on headline transfer fees (or at least the reported fees - of course thanks to "undisclosed" we don't know exactly how much has been spent), and on wages has been there. The problem has been the people deciding who to spend it on haven't been doing a good job of identifying the right players to offer value for money, and the few bigger investments haven't been backed up with sufficient cheaper but solid good value pros to build a cohesive and robust team to support those more expensive signings. Ajose being perhaps the best example of all those.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sign this lad for that sort of money, maybe even if we go down, but the track record suggests he'll be backed up by an inadequate, unbalanced midfield and simply won't be in an environment here where he will be able to flourish. He'll leave, confidence shot to pieces, only to suddenly start scoring goals again as soon as he has gone. Even Reza is at it in the Netherlands.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Maguire_(footballer)

Hmm didnt do great in League Two with Accrington a few years ago...
  • Lost his way since appearing in Grange Hill and releasing a couple of terrible solo records.

It's a no from me

Also coached by Arthur Fowler when he played for Walford Town.
  • Sponsored links:

• We paid, just short of a £1m for Ajose, does not mean it will work for the club
  • clive said:

Lost his way since appearing in Grange Hill and releasing a couple of terrible solo records.

It's a no from me

Also coached by Arthur Fowler when he played for Walford Town.
    So he was. A knee injury finished his career there if I remember rightly.

Typical Driessen, scouting another player with a long term injury!
  • ross1 said:

We paid, just short of a £1m for Ajose, does not mean it will work for the club

It has worked for Swindon.

I think getting him was the right move. We screwed it up with a poor manager and dreadfully run organization.

• Steer clear Sean, we're shit!
  • Any player whose agent advised them to move to opt for a move to Charlton has to be either crooked or of questionable integrity. Surely playing for the Kim Jong Un All-Stars has to be a step up from Charlton these days.
  • Will Gregg was a million to Wigan from Brentford.

Think Saints paid a million for Ricky Lambert too which was a few seasons ago now, and weren't we supposed to have paid about $800K for Ajose?

If you are genuinely ambitious at this level then to get a goal scoring striker will probably cost you something in the region of a million. Not all teams at this level can afford to pay it, but those that are going to get out of the division (in the upward direction) probably can and will.

Under Roland's ownership we have probably spent more money than at any time since we were relegated from the prem, possibly the first season down excluded. The willingness to spend the money on headline transfer fees (or at least the reported fees - of course thanks to "undisclosed" we don't know exactly how much has been spent), and on wages has been there. The problem has been the people deciding who to spend it on haven't been doing a good job of identifying the right players to offer value for money, and the few bigger investments haven't been backed up with sufficient cheaper but solid good value pros to build a cohesive and robust team to support those more expensive signings. Ajose being perhaps the best example of all those.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sign this lad for that sort of money, maybe even if we go down, but the track record suggests he'll be backed up by an inadequate, unbalanced midfield and simply won't be in an environment here where he will be able to flourish. He'll leave, confidence shot to pieces, only to suddenly start scoring goals again as soon as he has gone. Even Reza is at it in the Netherlands.
    Good post - if you put together the best "Roland XI" it would be a decent team. But at no stage have we had a stromg or deep enough squad.
  • Pedro45 said:

He's actually quite good - My Irish sporting FB link shows lots of clips of him. We have no chance of getting him though, as he will go for around a million I reckon...

He only signed a 1 year contract, not sure Cork could go demanding 1 million pound for him.
  • He'd be mad to join us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any player whose agent advised them to move to opt for a move to Charlton has to be either crooked or of questionable integrity. Surely playing for the Kim Jong Un All-Stars has to be a step up from Charlton these days.

No idea what wages are like in the irish league but can't imagine they're too high, so a 3-4 year deal on a 2-3k a week would surely tempt him. But yeah if there's other english clubs in for him then he'd be mad to choose us.
  • edited June 2017
  • Knew he'd be off & knew it wouldn't be to us.
    He scored another hatrick against Dundalk (the current champions) this week that pretty much seals the league for Cork City this season.
    I shall watch his progress with interest.
    I like him.
  • I thought the true figure for Ajose was £650 thousand
  • Missed this thread the first time. He had a buy out clause for €150k, but he was never signing for Charlton. He turned down League One offers in teh winter. STVV tried to sign him last year after City played Genk in the Europa League, but made an illegal approach through Charlton.

Our left back Kevin O'Connor will go for a similar fee to Preston in the next few days - though hopefully he'll stick around til the end of July to play in the Europa League along with Sean.
  • el-pietro said:

Missed this thread the first time. He had a buy out clause for €150k, but he was never signing for Charlton. He turned down League One offers in teh winter. STVV tried to sign him last year after City played Genk in the Europa League, but made an illegal approach through Charlton.

Our left back Kevin O'Connor will go for a similar fee to Preston in the next few days - though hopefully he'll stick around til the end of July to play in the Europa League along with Sean.

tell us more @el-pietro
  • Honestly thats as much as I know. Was speaking to someone who deals with our transfers after our AGM (fan owned club) this year, he knew I was off to Belgium on the protest and brought it up randomly. Said that STVV tried to buy Maguire through Charlton. Not sure why it is illegal, but I assume third party ownership would be part of it.
  • el-pietro said:

Honestly thats as much as I know. Was speaking to someone who deals with our transfers after our AGM (fan owned club) this year, he knew I was off to Belgium on the protest and brought it up randomly. Said that STVV tried to buy Maguire through Charlton. Not sure why it is illegal, but I assume third party ownership would be part of it.

Thanks, can you have a dig around and find out more if possible