Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Just got back from a week at a Tui Family Life resort in Gran Canaria with kids (2.5 and 8months).  Can't recommend the baby club 0-3 years enough. Put the kids in 2hours a day. Came home feeling like I'd had a holiday.
    Will remember this for next year.

Probably one of the best £100 I've ever spent.
  • Went to the Annabel hotel in paphos a few months ago and loved it. The deal came up again last week so have booked again for next may.
    Looks a nice one. What was the deal?

• edited September 2019
    have done bath - really enjoyed it, and would recommend to anyone. 
    Have just booked a weekend in Bath in October so any restaurant/things to do recommendations very welcome!!
    @Addickforlife Loch Fyne Seafood & Grill is a great place to eat if you like fish/shellfish. 
  • have done bath - really enjoyed it, and would recommend to anyone. 
    Have just booked a weekend in Bath in October so any restaurant/things to do recommendations very welcome!!
    we went to a lovely italian overlooking the river and bridge, will get the name for you was v nice, we lucked in as the fireworks were the same night so made it even better, as per above spoilt for choice with pubs plenty of choice and the bath ales are delicious!
    @Addickforlife

ponte veccio is the name overlooks the pulteney bridge
  • Is that the one where you bring your own wine? Well, there was one 20 years ago when I was last there... 
    @Addickforlife Loch Fyne Seafood & Grill is a great place to eat if you like fish/shellfish. 

Yeah - we went there a couple of years ago. Was decent.
  • Can’t understand people that go on holiday and dump there kids in holiday clubs. It’s time when you can give em full attention and have real fun with em. 
    I think Durham is good for weekend away 
  • edited September 2019
    Can’t understand people that go on holiday and dump there kids in holiday clubs. It’s time when you can give em full attention and have real fun with em. 
    Because they like to play with other children or do the activities on offer.
  • Can’t understand people that go on holiday and dump there kids in holiday clubs. It’s time when you can give em full attention and have real fun with em. 

A weekend away without the kids yeah?

• Went to the Annabel hotel in paphos a few months ago and loved it. The deal came up again last week so have booked again for next may.
    Looks a nice one. What was the deal?

Was 680 half board. Usually a lot more than that. It comes up ok BA holidays.
  • Sponsored links:

Just had my honeymoon in Portugal without the kids. Love the little blighters but a week off from parenting was bliss. 
  • Kids do that all week when there at home and your at work.for 2 weeks in a year to me it’s nice to be a family and do things as a family. I know it’s not everyone’s choice but I tell you now they will be teenagers before you know it and you won’t have a choice. No regrets 
    I’m the same. The thing I look forward to more than anything in a holiday is being with my family all day for 2 weeks.

Sometimes when my daughter wants to go in the pool, I’d rather just chill on the sun bed but I always think to myself that this time next week I’ll be at work and to make the most of it. 
    Mate, i appreciate each to their own, never judge others, holiday for everyone, kids might like the clubs and all that...

at our hotel on holiday they had a kids club 3hrs in the morning, 3hrs in the afternoon. The kids area (indoor) where they did arts and crafts, watched a film etc was next to where the kids pool with and the flumes, buckets etc were.

They’d be kids having the time of their lives playing with their families on the slides, in the pool etc while other kids are sat there bored sh!tless indoors watching a subtitled film while their parents were lying on sun beds with their earphones in. Gorgeous sunny holiday destination with loads for the kids to do and their inside morning and day doing painting and watching films. Felt so sorry for the poor kids. Just couldn’t get my head around it. 
  • Don’t get me wrong, that sounds More like the parents shipping them off but for me if the kids are happy then I am happy. 

My boys are 6&8 and didn’t go kids club once in the 10 days we were away this year, but previous years when they have asked if they can go on the pirate hunt or go to the chocolate party with the friends they have made at the mini disco the evening before, who am I to say no, you have to spend the whole day with mum and dad as I am back at work next week? 

I would definitely recommend a visit to the Roman Baths. I didn't think I would enjoy it that much but I was wrong. Very informative and worth the money in my opinion. Think we paid 20 quid pp but that includes an audio tour and you can just wander at your own pace and take in all the history. If Roman history interest's you then stick it on your list. It gets busy around lunch time when all the bus tours start arriving so start about 10-11am and you will miss most of the crowds and still have a good couple of hrs to wander.

There is a pub near the Roman Baths called the Huntsman that was pretty decent - good selection of beers/wine and a pretty good lunch we had. Many good pubs all over Bath with some great views. The Ram was also impressive but quite crowded the evening we went

Best restaurant we visited - Sotto Sotto (Italian) Excellent food/service. Some of the best pasta dishes I have tasted outside of Italy.

Worst restaurant we visited - Olive Tree (Modern British/European) One Michelin star, but I would say the food was average and overpriced, and guests are almost sat on each other it is was so cramped. Its located in the basement of a hotel. I couldn't wait to leave.

• Can highly recommend Montenegro; some great apartments on Morinj and Perast is really lovely. Scenery is stunning  and it is very understated and nowhere near as expensive as Italy or other countries nearby
  • edited September 2019

• Did you stay at Sasa Ilic's resort in Perast Fiona?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:
    Did you stay at Sasa Ilic's resort in Perast Fiona?  
    Where is it? We just visited from Morinj and love it so much we're gonna go back for my birthday next year. Does he do discounts for us lol?
  • Its been mentioned on here a few times but no idea re discounts.

http://montebayretreat.com/about-us/

• For those early birds... easy jet have just launched some flights for next year
  • Curb_It said:
    Its been mentioned on here a few times but no idea re discounts.

http://montebayretreat.com/about-us/

Having linked that, it looks like its closing soon as the booking form is blocked out for the next few years from next month?
  • Going to Cuba with Thomas Cook on 1st Oct but worried about the news breaking about their finances. Fingers crossed it will get sorted 🤞
  • I’m off to Egypt (Hopefully) on 30th with Thomas Cook. Everything crossed it’ll get sorted. But also I’m quick to moan about it, should bear in mind the amount of people potentially losing there jobs. 
  • I do hope it gets sorted. A mate who worked for Thomas Cook until a couple of years ago saw this coming. Some of the stories he had about their incompetence were hair raising. 

But one that sums it up nicely was that not a single person in their top five levels of management at that time had any previous travel industry experience. 

• JohnBoyUK said:

My B-I-L & S-I-L are taking their two kids (my niece is 2, nephew is 5mths) to Hawaii next month.  Long 12hr flight to LA with 4hr stopover for next flight of 5-6hrs.  They've got 10 days there then spending 3 days in LA on the way back to go to some kids amusement park thing.  I love my niece muchly but f*ck me she's going to drive everyone else on that flight insane! I can imagine it to scenes of Airplane when Ted Striker was talking about his relationship woes!!!   I honestly dont know how they cope with all the stuff they will need to take with them.  They are even taking 2 car seats with them.  I cant even begin to imagine.  I remember the look on my wife's face when the S-I-L suggested we went with them lol.
    So add in to that the headache of a heart attack on board and the Heathrow to LA leg being diverted to Canada to offboard the patient.  5hr delay, missed the connecting LA to Hawaii flight, they're finally there.  Thoughts are with my BIL having to put up with the SIL, he deserves a knighthood and can imagine its all his fault!
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

My B-I-L & S-I-L are taking their two kids (my niece is 2, nephew is 5mths) to Hawaii next month.  Long 12hr flight to LA with 4hr stopover for next flight of 5-6hrs.  They've got 10 days there then spending 3 days in LA on the way back to go to some kids amusement park thing.  I love my niece muchly but f*ck me she's going to drive everyone else on that flight insane! I can imagine it to scenes of Airplane when Ted Striker was talking about his relationship woes!!!   I honestly dont know how they cope with all the stuff they will need to take with them.  They are even taking 2 car seats with them.  I cant even begin to imagine.  I remember the look on my wife's face when the S-I-L suggested we went with them lol.
    So add in to that the headache of a heart attack on board and the Heathrow to LA leg being diverted to Canada to offboard the patient.  5hr delay, missed the connecting LA to Hawaii flight, they're finally there.  Thoughts are with my BIL having to put up with the SIL, he deserves a knighthood and can imagine its all his fault!
    My thoughts are with the other passengers
  • I do hope it gets sorted. A mate who worked for Thomas Cook until a couple of years ago saw this coming. Some of the stories he had about their incompetence were hair raising. 

But one that sums it up nicely was that not a single person in their top five levels of management at that time had any previous travel industry experience. 

I wont deny they have been poorly led at times, and that they have been challenged for a while, but I'm afraid the second paragraph is simply not true. In 2012 they hired Harriet Green as CEO from outside the travel industry, but her senior leadership team and subsequent leadership bar 1 are all travel "veterans". Fingers crossed they make it through for the sake of their customers and employees...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!