Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sharm El Sheikh

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
Thinking of going next year...anyone get any tips/advice etc etc....

Cheers in advance..

Comments

• yeah, bring imodium!
  • Thought this was going to be about some Arab billionaire.

Now I realise it's a place in Egypt...
  • A 'hole' in egypt more like! cant ever understand why people would go there!
  • DA9DA9
    edited September 2008
    Went last year, fantastic place, lovely mountains etc, only advice, keep Debs close, and be prepared to be hassled every 10 feet to go into their shop etc.

Recommend the quad bike ride at dusk in the desert, book direct rather than the hotel as its cheaper, and careful of some of the taxis you can get, they will try and rip you off if you've had a beer, book taxis direct with hotel reception if you can, that way you know they are trusted.

Couple of the good bars, The Tavern, Camel Bar, they have a pasha nightclub and Hard Rock Cafe which is good.

MCS is right about the Imodium, I took some cheap asda stomach tablets etc and they worked well.
  • Seriously anyone?..
  • Debs can look after herself....lol
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]keep Debs close, and be prepared to be hassled every 10 feet to go into their shop etc.and careful of some of the taxis you can get, they will try and rip you off if you've had a beer, book taxis direct with hotel reception if you can, that way you know they are trusted.

I just dont get it, people pay good money to there and have to just except this sort of un civilised behaviour! its not right. Cannot see the attraction, and you 9 times out of get the shits to!
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2008
    Fishy, take a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com

It helped me a lot in making some decisions about Mexico and Dominican Republic. Ignore the overly negative views about one place and location - they seem to be well OTT - much like some of the comments on here!
  • Fantastic diving!
  • Went last year, top place.

If you go to Cairo for the pyramids, make sure you pay the extra and fly. We spoke to people who went by coach and it takes hours.

The snorkeling was probably the highlight, although the camel trip to the Bedouin camp was also pretty good.

I got ill and actually thought I was going to die (hallucinations, the lot.) The doctor told me it was a mixture of sun, different food, dehydration and a bug. He also recommended drinking tepid water as cold water shocks the system in the heat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thinking of Mexico in 2 years for my honeymoon, anyone been?
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Went last year, top place.

If you go to Cairo for the pyramids, make sure you pay the extra and fly. We spoke to people who went by coach and it takes hours.

The snorkeling was probably the highlight, although the camel trip to the Bedouin camp was also pretty good.

I got ill and actually thought I was going to die (hallucinations, the lot.) The doctor told me it was a mixture of sun, different food, dehydration and a bug. He also recommended drinking tepid water as cold water shocks the system in the heat.

Stopped at a "Bedouin tent" (with an electric fridge inside it) on the quad bike trip, PMSL
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thinking of Mexico in 2 years for my honeymoon, anyone been?

Anyone been ?

What on your honeymoon........?
  • I went this year for two weeks to Playa Del Carmen.

Its about 40mins drive from Cancun but a fantastic place. We did an all inclusive deal at one of the Riu hotels and was brilliant.

I'm not one to stick to the hotel though so we did plenty of trips out, including swimming with dolphins, a water park, a day of shopping both in Playa Del Carmen and Cancun (as well as a very messy night out...) and a couple of boat trips.

The beaches that we saw are still feeling the effects of the hurricanes a couple of years ago but they are almost back to how they were (hurricanes destroyed a good 100 ft of beach).

I loved it DA9 - so many mix of cultures, new and old - some of the old Aztec type stuff in and around Chichen Itza is mind blowing. You could hire a car and drive around quite easily as well in my opinion - roads are fine.
  • edited September 2008
    The Resort

My overall thoughts were there must be better beach holiday destinations than this without breaking the bank, the shopping and bars aren't much to write home about and the beaches they have are very average if that and there aren't many. If its diving you're primarily concerned with then I think its a good one to visit. You should learn the arabic for go away and no thankyou as you will get pestered a lot.

Excursions

I did the pyramids, although I think doing the museum and the pryramids in one day is too much. We flew there on the day trip and were too tired to get the most out of the museum (in the morning - 4am start or something like that) and then its too hot once you reach the pyramids around lunchtime to spend much time there. Both are very well worth doing so if you could spread it over 2 days that would be better I think. I didn't do the coach, and thought perhaps you could sleep on it and not be so tired, however I have heard not so good things about it

Bedouin Nights trip on camel back was the highlight of Sharm itself for me, you drive out to the desert then eat local food and look at the stars.

You can also do mount sinai, quad biking, swimming dolphins (beware the Russians though) and loads of diving boat trips.
  • Stay in Britain and go to wonderful places like Cornwall or Exmoor or Dorset or The Lake District or Northumberland or The Brecon Beacons or Pembrokeshire :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Stay in Britain and go to wonderful places like Cornwall or Exmoor or Dorset or The Lake District or Northumberland or The Brecon Beacons or Pembrokeshire :-)

well said that man
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Stay in Britain and go to wonderful places like Cornwall or Exmoor or Dorset or The Lake District or Northumberland or The Brecon Beacons or Pembrokeshire :-)

well said that man

But is the snorkelling any good?

Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort and Spa is where we're thinking of going...
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]But is the snorkelling any good?
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/best_of_britain/article4558489.ece
  • edited September 2008
    I was supposed to be going on Weds - thanks XL!

Off next month now.

The sticky at the top of this forum has all the hints and tips you'd ever need. I'm mainly going for the diving, but reckon it'll be worth doing the pyramids/Valley of the Kings type stuff. I'll let you know how I get on.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g297555-Sharm_El_Sheikh_South_Sinai_Red_Sea_and_Sinai.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Maldives all day long for a special trip (honeymoon etc). Loved it and have no complaints whatsoever. If I won the lottery, it would be the first place I'd be going....
  • visit Doha in about 6 years when its finished !!
  • Haven't been to Sharm but have been to Taba which is further north.

Went in August and it was over 100F everyday. At night there was a breeze that felt like a hairdryer blowing in your face. Wife and son had dodgy guts for about 4 days. It was full of Israelies who are without doubt the rudest, most obnoxious people I have had the misfortune to meet. They treated the Egyptians like shit and allowed there kids to do the same.
    Cairo is an absolute dump. There is no room in the city and people actually live in the cemetaries (called city of the dead).

Now the good bits. A visit to the pyramids is an absolute must. Totally awesome. The coral and sealife right by the beach is fantastic. If you like diving you'll spend your week/two weeks in the sea and will probably come back looking like a prune. If you visit Cairo (see above) a trip down the Nile is worth it.

Security wise we went just after the hotel in Sharm was bombed and when we went on out Cairo trip we had two armed guards with us (tourist poice) who were both actually really nice guys who helped us barter at the market.

My overall view glad I went, won't go again.
  • Got back from sharm 3 weeks ago , dont go to nabq if you want some nightlife , because there is not any . Choose a hotel near naama bay which is a bit more livlier . Diving is fantastic as well as the snorkelling. You WILL get the cairo trotts and anything you buy in the uk will not touch it , you have to use local chemists , but beware most will try to rip you off . Hassle plentifull when you go walkabouts , most use the " cheaper than asda "spill which crystal palace fans find funny but i found that i just wanted to punch them on the nose.Very hot in the summer months , can only decribe it like sitting in your front room , on a july day , with a thermal suit on , and the heating on full blast , added with the kitchen oven on , with the door open. Good holiday , but would not go back.
  • My mate was there last year. He made the mistake of booking a fortnight at his hotel that turned out to be a complete dive. Took a drive alomg the coast on the second day and found a fantastic place for absolute peanuts. His advise was to book a hotel for the first couple of days and then find your own accomodation because the face to face deals are fantastic.

btw used to know alot of divers who raved about Sharm, best visibility and very good marine life, if you don't dive it's a great place to learn.
  • Just got Back from Sharm on Sunday - Was wicked as normal, Cant fault the place. Stayed in a Place called Hilton Sharks Bay - good food, Good Beer, Very Hot and relaxing.

Went to Narma Bay some nights and yeah you do get hasseled by every shop but i just ignore them and carry on walking. Will be going back next year for def!!!