Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who's in work today?...

124»

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

what bank @JessieAddick ?

Can you tell the Chinese banking rulers that small typing errors in account names shouldn't mean funds have to be returned to remitter please !!!

thanks....

:joy: We don't return funds in this case anymore. Just a confirmation message through the SWIFT system from the remitter's bank will solve the problem. :wink:
  • TelMc32 said:

I only have one day off during the new year holiday, January 1 - it should be three days. It's the same for all of the people working in the office of our sub-branch and there are about a hundred of us.

Any Lifer working in a bank? Do you have to work on the last day (and night) of the year no matter what day it is? I get that as bank employees we have to stay till late night on December 31 but 30?! Eight days without a break.... What's most ridiculous about it is that on December 30 and 31 there will be no corporate business as it is closed. What will we do in the office?! Chat from 8.30am to 5.30pm?

I'm in, in Barclays in Canary Wharf. Have a few US clients, who generally have a 31 December year end, but they're far more relaxed these days than they used to be. All a little quiet, when it used to be manic as they tried to sort their year end books out.

Good time to get a load of compliance done, tidy up of client stuff that our bosses have decreed is vital, dress down and I have music playing all day (a bit of Stone Roses just being turned up! :) )!! I'll leave shortly and probably earlier again on Monday, but I typically pick up on emails when out/home anyway.

An early Happy New Year all.
    Happy New Year! I just told my colleagues in the office this morning that a fellow Charlton fan on the forum I often visit works in Barclays' Head Office in London and they were like 'wow that's the elite' :smiley:

We can't play music in the office obviously - wish we could! I have a few monthly and yearly reports to complete but I think I can finish them today. I still don't know at what time I can leave on the last day of the year despite there really will be nothing to do by then.
  • edited December 2018

I only have one day off during the new year holiday, January 1 - it should be three days. It's the same for all of the people working in the office of our sub-branch and there are about a hundred of us.

Any Lifer working in a bank? Do you have to work on the last day (and night) of the year no matter what day it is? I get that as bank employees we have to stay till late night on December 31 but 30?! Eight days without a break.... What's most ridiculous about it is that on December 30 and 31 there will be no corporate business as it is closed. What will we do in the office?! Chat from 8.30am to 5.30pm?

Not that I would know anything about working, being a Civil Servant, but 8 days without a break is madness (and generally counter-productive in my experience). The last time I did hours like that (other than bits and pieces of farming) was on a J1 visa in the USA as a student far too many years ago.

I think I may just manage to avoid the temptation to seek a career change in the Chinese banking sector, though, if you can manage chatting in the office for an eight hour shift, you may well be the ideal candidate for employment in the Northern Ireland Civil Service....

Have a very Happy New Year.
    Haha thank you! Happy New Year to you! Eight days straight is not even the longest in our bank. Some of the employees at the secondary sub-branches have worked for over ten consecutive days in previous years. And it indeed is counter-productive.
    I don't think it's that uncommon in any sector in China, my school will do 10 days straight in the new year for our 'winter course' happens every year at every school I've worked at, luckily everyone gets 4 days off at the end, but it's hardly ideal! Lucky for me I'm on a months paternity leave, so I'll miss all that BS this year, I only have to pop in for 2 days to train new teachers, not bad for a months salary B)
    Ten days and then four days off actually means four days off in two weeks so that's acceptable..... By the way I've always envied teachers as they have winter and summer breaks! Me and my colleagues were just talking about this at lunch break today. We all kind of wish we had chosen this occupation lol...
    I don't see it as acceptable myself, as it's still 10 days on, you might get the same amount of time off, but in a kinda shitty way.

Public school teachers get those breaks, for training school teachers like me winter and summer holidays are our busiest times, but then, there isn't a public school in the country that's gonna pay me 20k a month, let alone anywhere in Yunnan, so I guess that's part of the trade-off! (Yunnan university pays 6k, SIX!!!!)
  • I only have one day off during the new year holiday, January 1 - it should be three days. It's the same for all of the people working in the office of our sub-branch and there are about a hundred of us.

Not that I would know anything about working, being a Civil Servant, but 8 days without a break is madness (and generally counter-productive in my experience). The last time I did hours like that (other than bits and pieces of farming) was on a J1 visa in the USA as a student far too many years ago.

I think I may just manage to avoid the temptation to seek a career change in the Chinese banking sector, though, if you can manage chatting in the office for an eight hour shift, you may well be the ideal candidate for employment in the Northern Ireland Civil Service....

Have a very Happy New Year.
    Haha thank you! Happy New Year to you! Eight days straight is not even the longest in our bank. Some of the employees at the secondary sub-branches have worked for over ten consecutive days in previous years. And it indeed is counter-productive.
    I don't think it's that uncommon in any sector in China, my school will do 10 days straight in the new year for our 'winter course' happens every year at every school I've worked at, luckily everyone gets 4 days off at the end, but it's hardly ideal! Lucky for me I'm on a months paternity leave, so I'll miss all that BS this year, I only have to pop in for 2 days to train new teachers, not bad for a months salary B)
    Ten days and then four days off actually means four days off in two weeks so that's acceptable..... By the way I've always envied teachers as they have winter and summer breaks! Me and my colleagues were just talking about this at lunch break today. We all kind of wish we had chosen this occupation lol...
    I don't see it as acceptable myself, as it's still 10 days on, you might get the same amount of time off, but in a kinda shitty way.

Public school teachers get those breaks, for training school teachers like me winter and summer holidays are our busiest times, but then, there isn't a public school in the country that's gonna pay me 20k a month, let alone anywhere in Yunnan, so I guess that's part of the trade-off! (Yunnan university pays 6k, SIX!!!!)
    Now I just envy you even more.... 20k a month?!! That's twice my salary after tax and I work much longer hours... :heartbreak:
  • Yeah, I have Chinese friends who work ridiculous hours, I don't know how they do it, I already think the 40 a week I do is too much, but I knew when I was getting when I took the management role.
  • Yeah, I have Chinese friends who work ridiculous hours, I don't know how they do it, I already think the 40 a week I do is too much, but I knew when I was getting when I took the management role.

40 hours a week is the minimum in China! Most people work longer hours than that... :cry:
  • My first job in Kunming was 17 hours a week, which is pretty standard at a school like Shane/Owens etc
  • Teaching in training schools seems a bit like a part-time job. You can take on multiple other jobs if you only have to work 17 hours per week right?
  • Teaching in training schools seems a bit like a part-time job. You can take on multiple other jobs if you only have to work 17 hours per week right?

If you don't mind the risk of breaking the law, yeah, I'd say it's what most training school teachers do, but if you get caught working at a school that didn't provide your work visa, you're getting a huge fine and deported.
  • edited December 2018

TelMc32 said:

I'm in, in Barclays in Canary Wharf. Have a few US clients, who generally have a 31 December year end, but they're far more relaxed these days than they used to be. All a little quiet, when it used to be manic as they tried to sort their year end books out.

Good time to get a load of compliance done, tidy up of client stuff that our bosses have decreed is vital, dress down and I have music playing all day (a bit of Stone Roses just being turned up! :) )!! I'll leave shortly and probably earlier again on Monday, but I typically pick up on emails when out/home anyway.

Happy New Year! I just told my colleagues in the office this morning that a fellow Charlton fan on the forum I often visit works in Barclays' Head Office in London and they were like 'wow that's the elite' :smiley:

We can't play music in the office obviously - wish we could! I have a few monthly and yearly reports to complete but I think I can finish them today. I still don't know at what time I can leave on the last day of the year despite there really will be nothing to do by then.
    @TelMc32 has been called a few things in the years I’ve known him, never elite.
  • Sponsored links:

If you don't mind the risk of breaking the law, yeah, I'd say it's what most training school teachers do, but if you get caught working at a school that didn't provide your work visa, you're getting a huge fine and deported.
    Oh yes. Reminds me of the rule that a teacher in one school is not allowed to work in another.
  • TelMc32 said:

Hmmmmm. I’m also at Barclays in CW and I’d say ‘Elite’ is stretching it a bit.......especially in my case :smiley:
  • TelMc32 said:

I'm just pleased, @JessieAddick, that your good work has encouraged colleagues to understand that Charlton fans are the elite. I'm sure I read your post properly, didn't I?

Try not to lord it over them too much.

I mean, you obviously have to a bit, for a short while....
  • Up and out.
  • On the train, really can’t be fucked today.

• Nice drive to Gants hill because there aren't any train. St pauls shut in one direction as well just so I get that extra walk. Pretty sure I'll be let out early, and this place is virtually empty. Might use my time constructively and get my CV in order
  • edited December 2018
    In work, full day. got a visit from my kids to look forward to at some point.
  • Working but not till tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

what bank @JessieAddick ?

Can you tell the Chinese banking rulers that small typing errors in account names shouldn't mean funds have to be returned to remitter please !!!

thanks....

:joy: We don't return funds in this case anymore. Just a confirmation message through the SWIFT system from the remitter's bank will solve the problem. :wink:
    Unfortunately a lot get returned without us being advised there was an issue in first place.

I will be sure to mention to our Corporate relationship manager at Barclays that they are the elite.
  • Teleworking today - redacting pdfs all day when the only thing I want to do is sleep.

For anyone doing anything involving festivities this evening, and even those who are not, have a very Happy New Year.
  • Make sure you use a decent marker (or electronic marker) :wink:

Wry annoying using what you think is a decent black marker on a document and then when you scan the redacted version in, you can still see the text underneath.

Start again, with tippex.
  • Boss has just invited us over to Brewdog to celebrate his birthday yesterday. Ah well, would be rude not to!!! :wink:

I hope you’ve got away by now @JessieAddick and a very Happy New Year to all!
  • I'm in. Saw the remnance of a shocking road accident on the way this morning.
    Not really feeling it if I'm honest.
  • Wilma said:

Working from home today. Logged on and found an email from my boss basically telling me off for going into the office on Friday and to take it easy as "we work hard all year so are allowed to relax a little" :-)

He / she does know you were taking down the decorations before going down the pub right? :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

Wilma said:

Working from home today. Logged on and found an email from my boss basically telling me off for going into the office on Friday and to take it easy as "we work hard all year so are allowed to relax a little" :-)

He / she does know you were taking down the decorations before going down the pub right? :wink:
    He knows about the Christmas decorations but not about hitting the sales online for the rest of the time :-)
  • 12 hour day shift today but it's double bubble plus bank holiday money. Will go towards a nice holiday later in the year.