Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthem and Cardiff

Just heard that Cardiff don't want the National Anthem played at Wembley...10,000 kids worldwide die of starvation everyday! FFS get some perspective on life!

Comments

• Options
    Land of my fathers is a good tune though ;-)
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Max Boyce? Time was he was always on the telly.
  • Options
    What did they do for the FA Cup final a few years ago?
  • Options
    They requested the same thing but cant remember what the outcome was.
  • Options
    Who gives a shit?
  • Options
    if they don't like it stick to the Welsh league. Have never understood why they play in the English league anyway, especially as their disciplinary matters are done by the Welsh FA
  • Options
    Well said allez. If you don't like it - you know where you can go..............the Dave's Tile Mart League of Wales!*

*or whatever it's called
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    which national anthem,the uk or the welsh one?
  • Options
    If they don't want it then that's tough. They chose the English FA's jurisdiction, if they want the Welsh national anthem then play in the welsh League
  • Options
    ....same all over.

Why do England sing the "National" Anthem in Rugby when the walsh sing something about the farm they used to live on - land of my fathers, hyms etc ?

Why do we have a Welsh and Scots sports personaility of the year but not an English one ?

Question to you - are you English, British or European ? If you think the other Brits or Europe types give one poop about the English then think again.

The Cardiff fans in London for their last trip to Wembley were the biggest set of scum bags you can imagine - worse that Gillingham could ever imagine being. I met a lot of them and absolutely chite.

Who could claim to be French but not speak the language ? South wales, where all the detritus resides, have no understanding of the Welsh identity (which I actually admire) and only use it as a bad thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]What did they do for the FA Cup final a few years ago?

Kathryn Jenkins sung the welsh one I think.
  • Options
    They need John Redwood to help them out...Link
  • Options
    I'm English by the way :-)
  • Options
    They're playing for a place in the ENGLISH premier league, if they don't like it, go back to Wales.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]....same all over.

Why do England sing the "National" Anthem in Rugby when the walsh sing something about the farm they used to live on - land of my fathers, hyms etc ?

Why do we have a Welsh and Scots sports personaility of the year but not an English one ?

Question to you - are you English, British or European ? If you think the other Brits or Europe types give one poop about the English then think again.

All of that, spot on,. The rest, unsure.
  • Options
    How many welsh players have they got?
  • Options
    Being born and living there i suppose would give them some idea of the welsh identity, its not some far flung place just a couple of hundred miles from charlton. Yes most Cardiff fans are a bit scum but just imagine a large Millwall and you'd get the idea. By the way the only thing stopping an England sports personality of the year is you the English.
  • Options
    That annoys me so much. The ENGLISH national anthem should be played as this is the ENGLISH football league, anyone know the outcome of this dispute?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]What did they do for the FA Cup final a few years ago?

Kathryn Jenkins sung the welsh one I think.

Why not do that then?
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]They're playing for a place in the ENGLISH premier league, if they don't like it, go back to Wales.

No they're not. It's called the Premier League, no mention of any country. Of course it is the top tier of the English league system, but the name has no mention of England.
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Why do England sing the "National" Anthem in Rugby when the walsh sing something about the farm they used to live on - land of my fathers, hyms etc ?

I could twist that and say why are England taking the anthem of the UK as their own.

If the British sports personality of the year happens to be English, what's the need? If not, then yes, there should be one. It's not the Welsh or the Scots' fault there isn't such a thing, though.

I don't think the Taffies are right about this, but is it really a big issue?
  • Options
    I'd be the first one to jump on the bandwagon but Cardiff have categorically stated they were informed by the FL (despite protests to the contrary from them, in favour of playing both GSTQ and Land of Our Fathers like they did for the FA Cup final), that no national anthems would be played at all on the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Is the Welsh national anthem really that offensive to us? They're from Wales, of course they want their own anthem played at the final. Don't see what the big deal is, just play it. Who cares?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]That annoys me so much. The ENGLISH national anthem should be played as this is the ENGLISH football league, anyone know the outcome of this dispute?

England has no official national anthem, it uses the British anthem. Maybe Wembley should use Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem instead.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qoute from IA

No they're not. It's called the Premier League, no mention of any country. Of course it is the top tier of the English league system, but the name has no mention of England
    It is the English Premier League, but you're right the English bit is never or at least rarely, mentioned.
    That of course falls in with Gov/Euro policy:
    The island on which we live consists of Wales, Scotland and several regions collectively considered Britain. England doesn't exist in their Euro project.

GSTQ is the national anthem of Britain. The Welsh and Scots have frequently made their disdain for it well known.
    Simple answer, play their own national anthem eg. Land of my fathers and Flower of Scotland. But introduce an English anthem. My suggestion is 'Jerusalem' and play both or neither.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited May 2010
    Daggs, always with the conspiracies.

La Liga
    Serie A
    Ligue 1
    Bundesliga
    Liga [Sagres]
    Eredivisie
    [Jupiler] Pro League

I don't think the EU is the enemy this time.
  • Options
    I hate GTSQ. I think its OK to sing it when Great Britain are competing at something, but agree that there should be an English national anthem. I'd always accepted that 'Land Of Hope And Glory' was the de facto standard English anthem (Jerusalem is too rugger-bugger for me)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    and there I was, thinking we could forget politics for another five years!
  • Options
    Another reason why i hate the welsh...
  • Options
    To be fair I can see why the Scots have a problem with GSTQ, is the line in the second verse 'scatter her enemies, and make them fall' not directed at the Scots when it was written? As for Welsh 'issue', just have GSTQ and Land of my Fathers. I don't think 40,000 Blackpool fans will know the words to Land of Hope and Glory, even if they should and everyone enjoys screaming the anthem at the top of their lungs before the game.
  • Options
    I've never understood why national anthems need to continue to be played at some sporting events. Unless I'm mistaken, it's left over from WWII, and I'm not sure why it's still done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I'd be the first one to jump on the bandwagon but Cardiff have categorically stated they were informed by the FL (despite protests to the contrary from them, in favour of playing both GSTQ and Land of Our Fathers like they did for the FA Cup final), that no national anthems would be played at all on the day.

So another made up row about nothing

And IA is right why have the English highjacked the British national anthem? Is it because for a long time many English people saw England and Britain as the same thing and that that might have slightly annoyed the Welsh and Scots.

See the World Cup 1996 logo and mascot. Union Flag not the cross of St. George. Or even going back to 1805 and the battle of Trafalgar "England expects". No Welsh, Scots or Irish in the Royal Navy then.

English national teams should sing Jerusalem IMHO.

And I'm South London, English, British and European and proud of each.