Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tracy Emin

edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.

Comments

• NO!

Oh sorry, I thought this was a Would Ya?
  • Never a would ya if youve read her tent history!
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.
    ...?

Erm... thanks for that...

You just increased my overall 'WhatTheF**kedness' by about 8%
  • up to 98% now then, eh Leroy?
  • do you own lots of cats windscreen?
  • Well, I think you're right Windscreen. ( I feel a bit like that character in the fishing sketch on "Harry and Paul"!)
  • With Leroy on this.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]up to 98% now then, eh Leroy?
    Getting there. Especially after I overheard some dopey bint on the train today say she 'always thought Brighton was in London'
  • Brighton were in London 2 weeks ago...didnt you watch the match?
  • A few years ago on the bus I overheard some woman saying 'Where is Southampton? Is it in South London somewhere?'

Dopier man talking to her tried to explain where it was by talking about the football club...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Brighton were in London 2 weeks ago...didnt you watch the match?

That's actually quite good.

Well, relatively speaking anyway.
  • They were in London Road on Saturday
  • erm.....
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Although its said that anything that pleases can be art, its worth must sometimes be questioned. When a non artist is able to con experts with artwork of a similar appearence and originality, either the bogus work has the same merit and should be afforded the same reverence, or along with the original artists works should be thought of as self indulgent nonsense that obviously anyone can produce.

Not really, because it becomes derivative and is therefore not considered original. Throughout history there have been examples of people flogging off paintings supposedly produced by esteemed artists. They are seen as fake because the art world likes to attribute a signature or a style specific to each artist - that is their brand. By copying, the 'artist' is seen as a fraud because the ideas are derived and mimicked.
  • Jackson Pollock, genius or guy who splattered paint like Tony Hancock in the Rebel discuss.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Jackson Pollock, genius or guy who splattered paint like Tony Hancock in the Rebel discuss.

Well, Pollock was dead before Hancok made the film. Pollock developed an idea - is that 'genius'?

On a similar theme to Hancock, this is quite funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozubKHdprMI
  • I thought The Rebel was a wonderfully acidic dig at the art world.
  • I met that Picasso once.

Crazy guy.
  • they are all crazy.

i mean look at that presenter from SMART
  • laughable coming from a woman who likened Van Gogh's Starry Night to cat's vomit.
  • Sponsored links:

• endless journey i guess
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]laughable coming from a woman who likened Van Gogh's Starry Night to cat's vomit.

Exactly, I thought starry night was a great song
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]laughable coming from a woman who likened Van Gogh's Starry Night to cat's vomit.

It is. That Van Gogh had a real ear for a tune.
  • Man if you like that you must be earless.
  • I can't stand Tracy Emin more than any other figure in the public eye (and that's pretty stiff competition) and wish she could be robbed of al her possessions, beaten to a pulp and left in a ditch to die slowly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]laughable coming from a woman who likened Van Gogh's Starry Night to cat's vomit.

It is. That Van Gogh had a real ear for a tune.

His stuff always sounds double Dutch to me
  • DRF, tracy says hi

Have another look ... I don't think you have got it at all ... must be viewed in the spirit of the times and the social milieu.
  • Sorry that I belittled cat vomit Henry...
  • As an aside the Chapman brothers have just remade the Rebel. My mate worked on it and got quite friendly with Jake, and said it seemed pretty cool in the rushes. I look forward to it as the Chapman's work I don't always agree with but emotionally they're the most interesting and stimulating out of all the YBA's; can't always say I like the emotional reaction though.

For Pollock like his work, but no more than that. The beat generation and associated art of America post WWII, is even less to my liking than the previous Lost Generation. Just don't think it holds a candle to say the Dadaists of a previous generation. What you see is what you get, and your own interpretation is absolutely more important than the artists. It ain't balanced ebtween your interpretation and the artists message.