Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I look for positives

There seems to be a fair bit of negative about the Brighton game. We probably should have won against 10 men. But history is full of teams that, when they go to 10 men, they play like they have 12. Was that the case? I did not watch the game naturally because of where I live. But I will take a 1-1 draw at their ground than a 0-4 loss at our ground. Racon had a fine game by all accounts which is a bit of a rarity for him. After 15 days of no action, a draw was reasonable. You may point out to me other results but the other teams were not playing the team at top of the table. 1-1 against the leaders at their home ground, I'll take it. Plus now we're 3rd on for and against with a game in hand on the team coming 2nd. It's not all doom and gloom, especially when we start playing regular games again.

Comments

• Options
    I am inclined to agree, admittedly the team with numerical advantage should win but as you rightly say that is not a given and they often play with even more determination. Going into the game I would have been more than happy with a point, maybe we should have had more but I will take it and join you in taking the positives.
  • Options
    we've gone down to ten men and won the match a fair few times this season;
    bournemouth, orient and yeovil
    would have preferred 3 points but before te game i said i would be happy wth 1
    hopefully this will give the team a small bit of confidence after walsall and brentford
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCdamo[/cite]hopefully this will give the team a small bit of confidence after walsall and brentford

I agree.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I too try and look at the positives and I think it's encouraging that we can come away from the league leaders disappointed with a point, having said that I think most of the players still should still have pulled their socks up and capitalised on the man advantage and the fact that a win would have had us sitting much more comfortably. I think the mentality of the majority of the players were that they were happy with a point with the only player towards the end who looked like that he wanted to win the game being Racon.

I don't think too many changes are needed ahead of the Colchester game on Saturday but the problem areas for me are the right wing and upfront, Wagstaff whilst he has had a good season so far was beyond anonymous tonight and uptop Benson missed far too many chances, he hasn't been as sharp the last few games and for me is very lucky that he hasn't been dropped yet already. Martin was disappointing coming on and you feel that with the talent he possesses could have done better and I think back to Peterborough when he came on, set up two goals and scored two himself and I think perhaps then he was less assured about his place in the starting line-up so tried harder. Abbott I know divides opinion with the majority of fans seeming to be against him but I believe that when he tries he can be a good striker and I think he is more technically gifted than Benson and Sodje and for me his best game for us was away at Orient and I haven't seen him play as good since so it's a question of if he will turn up. Anyinsah I think is fantastic at this level and I don't think anyone can doubt that but his fitness problems are a worry and it seems as though he will be out of Saturday's game along with Sodje.
  • Options
    I don't begrudge Brighton getting a point but what I found disturbing from listening on the radio is that we did not seem to try and take advantage of the situation and played poorly, with the ten men playing cool, controlled football, whereas we were lumping it. We have a side that can play footballand look best when we do it,instead we lumped it and brighton looked the better team.
  • Options
    Ok geek alert, I'm quite interested in football statistics and have read some journals written about them. According to Ridder at al. in 1994 they wrote a piece estimating the probabilities of one side receiving a red card. Their probabilities (for 2 equally matched teams) of the side with 11 beating the side with 10 with a red card in the first minute is 65% and in the 15th minute 62%. Of course as we were already a goal up you can increase these percentages but as we were away from home you can also decrease these. I have to disagree with those who say it is harder against 10 as statistically that is not the case as your chances of winning do increase.