Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliott

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Very recently I read on another post someone (naturally excited by the appointment of Mr Powell)
said he could bring in another goalkeeper. After the Sheffield Wednesday game, I wonder if the
poster still thinks that or if anyone concurs?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing another experienced keeper brought in to keep Robbie on his toes but its by no means a priority- Robbie's more than passable at this level, and Worner looks pretty decent too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: damol[/cite]Very recently I read on another post someone (naturally excited by the appointment of Mr Powell)
    said he could bring in another goalkeeper. After the Sheffield Wednesday game, I wonder if the
    poster still thinks that or if anyone concurs?

One match does not a season make.

I'm not the person you're talking about, though I understand why they'd say it. I have nothing against Robbie, am very happy for him to be our number 1, thought Randolph was the better keeper but understand the situation as it happened last summer.

He had a very good match today, some excellent saves and I hope he proves that again throughout the season. However, at the same time, I was concerned by how much the defenders sat back and allowed the Wednesday players space just outside the box, considering how vulnerable Elliot is (imho) to long-range shots. Until and unless he finds a way to cut those mistakes out of his game, I will have jitters when the opposition are within striking range
  • Options
    I posted the comment and stand by it.

Elliot makes good saves but his positioning can be awful sometimes and goals go flying in. Sometimes simple mistakes.

The back four need to know when the keeper will come for crosses with confidence. Not always true with Robbie.

Worner shows signs a being a better keeper in future but a more experienced guy is needed now.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    His quality at saving pens though, his got a really good record for saving them hasn't he?
  • Options
    Whilst accepting that replacing Elliot is not a priority the major concern to me is that his weeknesses far outway his strenghs. I'd like to highlight the sharpe decline in his distribution which previously was top class but now 'Deanoesk'.
    Whilst admitting our centre backs sit back through lack of pace, as highlighted elsewhere he is beaten from distance far too often.
    He looked fitter and leener at the start of last season which obviously resulted in better agility but he has reverted back to his previous stature.
    Long term I do not think that Elliot is the answer after all 'one swallow dosn't make a spring'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]I posted the comment and stand by it.

Elliot makes good saves but his positioning can be awful sometimes and goals go flying in. Sometimes simple mistakes.

The back four need to know when the keeper will come for crosses with confidence. Not always true with Robbie.

Worner shows signs a being a better keeper in future but a more experienced guy is needed now.

This
    [cite]Posted By: Captain Peacock[/cite]Whilst accepting that replacing Elliot is not a priority the major concern to me is that his weeknesses far outway his strenghs. I'd like to highlight the sharpe decline in his distribution which previously was top class but now 'Deanoesk'.
    Whilst admitting our centre backs sit back through lack of pace, as highlighted elsewhere he is beaten from distance far too often.
    He looked fitter and leener at the start of last season which obviously resulted in better agility but he has reverted back to his previous stature.
    Long term I do not think that Elliot is the answer after all 'one swallow dosn't make a spring'.

And this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DartfordAddick[/cite]His quality at saving pens though, his got a really good record for saving them hasn't he?

He's

Sorry but bugs the life out of me.
  • Options
    I have to say an enduring picture of him in my mind's eye is of him crouching by the right post looking over his left shoulder in surprise...
  • Options
    But that may be due to our snide defence...
  • Options
    letting randolph go BIG mistake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Captain Peacock[/cite]Whilst accepting that replacing Elliot is not a priority the major concern to me is that his weeknesses far outway his strenghs. I'd like to highlight the sharpe decline in his distribution which previously was top class but now 'Deanoesk'.

Deanoesque? What are you saying?
  • Options
    I really rate Rob Elliot but I do feel he has not been up to his usual standard this season. When he first came into the team, as he picked up the ball he would immediately look to throw it out and begin a counter attack but he has stopped doing this.

he does need to stop getting beat from long range and I'm sure with some good coaching he can improve on this and with Ben Roberts and possibly Dean Kiely coming on board I'm confident he can.
  • Options
    Regarding comparisons to Deano, I'm sure the Captain was only referring to a small aspect of the goalkeepers art - that of distribution.

At his height, when he was playing for us, I remember a newspaper article saying that every time he came to the Valley, Sven must've wished Deano was English so that he could pick him.
  • Options
    Cheers SL. Yeh I see. Can I be the first to say "Deeanooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Happy memories. Thank you and good night.
  • Options
    Most goalkeepers get considerably better with age...how old is Robbie?
  • Options
    robbie is only 24, very young for a keeper, plenty of time for development
  • Options
    I wish people would leave Robbie alone. He is the least of our problems and more than competent at the level we are now and even the second tier.

An often absentee midfield and a back 4 of Baseylike pace would seem more urgent problems to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I wish people would leave Robbie alone. He is the least of our problems and more than competent at the level we are now and even the second tier.

An often absentee midfield and a back 4 of Baseylike pace would seem more urgent problems to me.

Hear hear !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered_End_Lad[/cite]robbie is only 24, very young for a keeper, plenty of time for development[/quote]

I usually don't give my views for my own post but I got to say that Covered End Lad makes a very good point and one
    I agree with wholeheartedly. Having an experienced and older than 24 goalkeeper would be very handy but I do think
    for a 24 yr old, he is doing quite well and he has been doing exceptionally well considering he really doesn't have that
    experienced backup.
  • Options
    I like Robbie, but a goalie who does not come for crosses will always cause uncertainty in the centre of defence.
    I don't think he is good enough for a promotion team.

I'm not blaming him for all of our defensive woes, but I would like to see a more commanding presence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My thoughts seem to mirror most others. I would be happy if we had someone experienced, but that is what Ben Roberts is here for. My main criticism of Robbie is that he often misses the chance to come out fast and block oncoming strikers. If you watch the Premiership the Goalkeepers, in the main, do this extremely well, but it's well known that Keepers mature to their best much older than Robbie is now.
  • Options
    I rate Robbie, but if we could bring someone better to challenge him i wouldn't be disappointed. Elliott is guaranteed a place when he is fit and has often played when not (which i think is stupid and puts the team at risk). An additional decent keeper with experience if we could afford it would not be a bad thing, even if it just put Elliott on alert more.

I think Worner will be a good keeper some day, maybe bring in another keeper and send him out on Loan to League Two for the rest of the season to gain some much needed experience. He is very agile and a useful shot stopper, but needs to learn to command his box more. But i do rate both keepers and considering both their ages and experience i think we do have two good young keepers.

But nothing beats experience as a keeper. Admittedly you have to play more to get experience.

I do however think a lot of the time Elliott is let down more by shocking defending than his own ability.
  • Options
    I like Robbo, he's kept in games before,

My concern is he's motivation, "Parky said to perform 7-10 every week and i'd be happy" ...... This 7 out of 10 attitude is hardly a push. I mean ok he's trying to achieve consistancy but a) what equates to a 7 out of 10 performace b) shouldnt he be aiming a little higher if he's hoping to improve!
  • Options
    7 out of 10 for a Charlton goalie is just turning up, a couple of decent saves, a couple of fumbles/spills and just doing the ordinary .......
    Not really enough if you want promotion
    We all saw the difference Randy coming into the side made last season
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    Randolph was immense last season BUT we wouldve beat Swindon at penalties if Robbie was in goal!
  • Options
    Robbie's confidence took a huge knock when Randolph took his place. At the POTY, Robbie said that he was obviously upset because he just wanted to play, but Randolph was playing extremely well and it wouldn't be right to replace him especially as a goalkeeper had to play regularly to be confident and effective. If Randolph moved on to get more money elsewhere, Parky was probably only trying to help Robbie relax and take the pressure off him a bit to build up confidence. It clearly meant a lot to Robbie so I think that Parky's comment was more astute than he is being given credit for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bubble[/cite]I like Robbo, he's kept in games before,

My concern is he's motivation, "Parky said to perform 7-10 every week and i'd be happy" ...... This 7 out of 10 attitude is hardly a push. I mean ok he's trying to achieve consistancy but a) what equates to a 7 out of 10 performace b) shouldnt he be aiming a little higher if he's hoping to improve!
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]7 out of 10 for a Charlton goalie is just turning up, a couple of decent saves, a couple of fumbles/spills and just doing the ordinary .......
    Not really enough if you want promotion
    We all saw the difference Randy coming into the side made last season

I trust neither of you have played in goal before? Probably the hardest thing is to be consistantly good. You're out of the play for long periods and then get called upon to make a crucial save. It's even rarer for a consistant goalkeeper to be young. He makes some blinding saves, which sometimes keep us in games. Keepers get called to do that every so often but it's primarily the defence who need to stop the attackers before the ball even gets to the keeper. There are worse goalkeepers in the championship (or even the premiership, anyone remember the howlers Van Der Saar used to have against us for Fulham?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentaddick[/cite]
    I trust neither of you have played in goal before?

I played in goal for the last 7 years of my playing career pre vets , so I have a good idea what's required
    And his handling isn't good enough imo
    Nor is his positional sense , so many shots from outside the box go in ,
    Yes he does make some fantastic stops but so do all keepers at professional level
    And maybe he'll improve and maybe he won't but all the time he's learning in our first team, I don't think its helping the charlton cause ,
    As a youngish keeper he has had plenty of first team games and I personally haven't seen any improvement from the first few and that doesn't give me great hope
  • Options
    edited January 2011