Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Standing at games

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php
A petition to bring back safe standing at football grounds. I always have to go to the back when i go to the Valley so I can stand without getting shouted out. I think this is a good idea and will create a better atmosphere and make games more exciting. Plus standing will be a cheaper option. I've signed it and i'm hoping some of you lot will to, and if your on any other forums please pass this on.

Comments

• Options
    More like clubs will charge the same for standing and increase seat prices to pay for the expense of modifying areas to be standing again.

Would love terraced areas back but I can't see current all seater stadiums doing it.
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but I should think that some of the more modern stadiums would have to be heavily modified to allow standing as it was not in the original design. Older grounds such as ours would be less trouble.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I will be signing the petition, even though I don't wish to stand myself.

Many of those who argue against the safe standing movement state that standing will never be as safe as all seater stadiums. However, is safe standing (using terraces like those shown in the picture if you follow the link above) safer than standing in front of a seat? (That is a genuine question, not a wind up.)

If the answer to the above question is yes, then I don't really understand an argument against safe standing unless the police/stewards/whoever are going to force people to sit down in their seats at games.
  • Options
    We need to remember the deaths that have occurred when rival supporters tangle, or Police/Stewards allow overcrowding. I was always very happy to stand even if you did have to find a place where your kids could see, but seated areas are the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]We need to remember the deaths that have occurred when rival supporters tangle, or Police/Stewards allow overcrowding. I was always very happy to stand even if you did have to find a place where your kids could see, but seated areas are the future.

They're talking about introducing limited areas of standing, not changing how grounds and removing segregation.
  • Options
    BBS!!!
  • Options
    Bring standing back
  • Options
    If we revamped the North Lower and made it season ticket holders only plus the option of buying a match day ticket or two for friends, there would be no trouble. I think they would be surprised how popular it was if reintroduced but you would have to discount the tickets and that would most likely result in a drop in revenue. The camaraderie it would engender and the ability to freely associate again would be fantastic and could mean people were more likely to attend games they might not otherwise fancy.
  • Options
    Prefer to sit myself and doubt health and safety issues would allow for standing in stadia not designed for it. The old shoulder to shoulder standing would definitely not be allowed and I would imagine the restrictions on numbers allowed to stand in any enclosure would negate the atmosphere so many people want to recreate. Not sure we will see much of this in the future certainly not in the top two divisions.
  • Options
    0nly 8000 odd signatures so far.
    Seems as if the campaign is struggling to gain support.

So get used to bruised shins from the seat in front when standing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cmon bring it back
  • Options
    SIGN IT!
  • Options
    i miss knees up mother brown
  • Options
    Dalglish view http://goo.gl/fb/Yus65
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Dalglish viewhttp://goo.gl/fb/Yus65

That picture of the Liverpool players celebrating in front of a sitting kop, the steward looks petrified and I can't actually see any of them sitting!
    Surely the surging over seats is more dangerous than on a terrace
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Dalglish viewhttp://goo.gl/fb/Yus65

That picture of the Liverpool players celebrating in front of a sitting kop, the steward looks petrified and I can't actually see any of them sitting!
    Surely the surging over seats is more dangerous than on a terrace

I don't think she is looking petrified...she is actually looking at Arne Riise with disgust as a fellow ginger after he has dyed his barnet brown
  • Options
    I, personally didn't want standing banned at the time, but I wouldn't want it brought back now.

As for the suggestion that it would be cheaper? I don't believe that forn a second. The North Lower is one of the cheapest seats at the ground and few choose to sit there - at least they don't when the ground looks empty. If anything they could charge more for standing as it will be popular and limited. However, it will cost no less to accommodate fans once they have converted the seats to terracing (which will be expensive) and why would clubs want to reduce prices further than they currently do when most of them have empty seats for each and every game.

I think it is acceptable for those that haven't got all seater stadia now, but to realistically wish for seats to be removed and terracing being put in is, in my view, ridiculous. In a modern society where we are trying to position, and price, football with the theatre and major theme parks, to bring back terracing and all that comes with it would, in my view, be a step backwards.
  • Options
    The North Lower is £25.50.
  • Options
    There obviously is some hesitation as otherwise they would ban terracing at other levels of football aswell.
    You can't prioritise the safety of premier league fans over other supporters.

Personally i think safe standing works and i'd like to see it introduced.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Folev the red[/cite]There obviously is some hesitation as otherwise they would ban terracing at other levels of football aswell.
    You can't prioritise the safety of premier league fans over other supporters.

Personally i think safe standing works and i'd like to see it introduced.

Not sure it's prioritising safety of one set of fans over another but more acceptance that there is a huge difference between 4000 supporters attending Accrington Stanley v Macclesfield with a capacity of perhaps 12000 so plenty of room for those attending and say Arsenal v Aston Villa with every seat taken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]I think it is acceptable for those that haven't got all seater stadia now, but to realistically wish for seats to be removed and terracing being put in is, in my view, ridiculous. In a modern society where we are trying to position, and price, football with the theatre and major theme parks, to bring back terracing and all that comes with it would, in my view, be a step backwards.

Didnt quite work out like that in germany though, did it.
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]. The North Lower is one of the cheapest seats at the ground and few choose to sit there

If by cheapest you mean most expensive, then I guess you're right.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]I think it is acceptable for those that haven't got all seater stadia now, but to realistically wish for seats to be removed and terracing being put in is, in my view, ridiculous. In a modern society where we are trying to position, and price, football with the theatre and major theme parks, to bring back terracing and all that comes with it would, in my view, be a step backwards.

Didnt quite work out like that in germany though, did it.
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]. The North Lower is one of the cheapest seats at the ground and few choose to sit there

If by cheapest you mean most expensive, then I guess you're right.

I just assumed that the North Lower was the category that qualified as the cheapest. I'm I'm wrong, Stu of HU5, then I apologise.

To compare us to Germany is probably not really realistic. Ask Prague Addick to discuss the differences between our league and theirs and I suspect you will get a far more indepth answer.

In the UK we have spent years trying to position football as not being exclusively for the working (lower) classes. It is, clearly, easy to pick and choose what I wrote and disagree, but if we really want to charge upwards of £50 for a match (£25 or £30 in the 3rd division) then I think we need to gravitate above having customers standing to watch the game.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    Mirror report
    FSF argument

I think the picture in the FSF feature would be good
  • Options
    it will never happen and even if it did it wouldn't be the as before, no point creating an argument for it really, we're fine at charlton to be honest only half the J and half the H Block stand for the whole game anyway. £17.50 for an adult isn't bad for one of the biggest clubs in League One so can't really blame prices for wanting a standing area...There are more grounds that are less well developed that are more expensive such as Brighton which is £21. Yes i do like terraces but trying to brin them back will something that won't happen in England.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]I just assumed that the North Lower was the category that qualified as the cheapest. I'm I'm wrong, Stu of HU5, then I apologise.

My undertanding is that tickets in the north lower are jacked up in order to charge away fans the same £25 a ticket.

I assume season tickets on the north lower would reflect a much lower price.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]I just assumed that the North Lower was the category that qualified as the cheapest. I'm I'm wrong, Stu of HU5, then I apologise.

My undertanding is that tickets in the north lower are jacked up in order to charge away fans the same £25 a ticket.

I assume season tickets on the north lower would reflect a much lower price.

Yes, I remember reading that now that you mention it.