Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Sullivan (the goalie) - now over in Las Vegas (p2)

Comments

• Always seem to be the life and soul of the party. Just goes to show. Good luck in the future John.
  • Good luck to him indeed.

He appeared to be a really good squad man when with us and never let us down when he did play.

I hope he finds what he seeks.
  • "I would recommend any footballer going through a tough time to not be afraid of it. It doesn’t make you a bad person, it doesn’t make you a weak person, it just means you are human."

Good Luck John and well done the PFA. They do a great job.
  • "I would recommend any footballer going through a tough time to not be afraid of it. It doesn’t make you a bad person, it doesn’t make you a weak person, it just means you are human."

Good Luck John and well done the PFA. They do a great job.

Hear hear, Henry. Best wishes to John. Much of my admiration for Chris Powell - apart from his playing and managing - was for his good work for his fellow men at the PFA.

Wim Wenders made a particularly haunting film, a psychological thriller: 'The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty', 1972.

• So sad. Really liked John and wish him all the very best in whatever he does in the future.
  • He still "supports" Charlton. Spotted him on the train platform, last season, at Brighton.
  • Good Luck John

He always seemed so happy from stuff he said in interviews or on twitter
  • Good Luck John.

Just goes to show this can happen to anyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reading that brought a lump to my throat.

How brave of Sully to come out & put this in the public domain. Takes a big man to do that IMHO.

As someone who has had their "black dog moments" over the years, I can fully empathise with his words ....although mine were only visible to those close to me.

I SO hope that he will always have the support of close family, friends, colleagues like Danny H - feeling alone & isolated is such a dark place.

Keep smiling, John & stay positive. Follow your heart to the place where you will be successful again, and most of all, happy.
  • Really wish him all the best for the future - takes a lot of courage to go public like this.
  • edited June 2014
    Sad to read, good luck John.

It really annoys me when people try to justify the stick they give players with nonsense like "they're footballers, they should just deal with it", as if it really is that simple.

I know Sullivan hasn't referred to supporters in that article, but being a goalkeeper in the professional game must be such a lonely place at times. You rarely get the glory, but make one clanger and you feel entirely responsible for the feelings of your team-mates, fans etc.
  • Fair play for coming out with it and hopefully he re-evaluates the need to retire as he is still a young man.

As a goalie I never thought he was the most amazing but he could do a job. It just goes to show that a spot of mental fragility can really tear you apart.

As someone who has suffered depression in the past I kind of know where he is at and really hope he gets the support he needs and comes out the other side fighting
  • Bravo to him for opening up about this. I just hope he doesn't regret his decision to leave football behind at such an early age.
  • All the best John. Great work from the PFA in getting John the help he needed.
  • Uboat said:

Sad for him. Just goes to show you can never tell, as he always seemed like an upbeat character.

Perversely that's all part and parcel of depression - you act upbeat in an attempt to mask the real problems. If you feel people like you and want you around them it makes you feel better about things and offers a little escapism.

• best wishes john
  • edited June 2014
    LenGlover said:

He still "supports" Charlton. Spotted him on the train platform, last season, at Brighton.

He's a Brighton boy and supports Brighton.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/charlton-keeper-sullivan-fulham-striker-zamora-my-hero-2609371#.U7FfKvldX9s
    In which case, he can **** right off :-)

Only joking. All the best to John and brave of him to speak out.

He was mildy criticised at Charlton, by some fans, for a lack of concentration and perhaps that was correct, as he now says he was struggling with his concentration at Cambridge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best of luck John in whatever path you decide to take.
  • Made me think even more of the man and a much better keeper than what he seems to have given himself credit for. You're a legend, John!
  • Good luck to him - hope he beats the depression.

• Keep smiling, John & stay positive. Follow your heart to the place where you will be successful again, and most of all, happy.

My thoughts too. Good luck, John.

• If, by being open about his problems, John helps other players to deal with their own issues, he will have done them all a very great service. Well done, John Sullivan, and very best wishes for the future.
  • Must be horrible, best of luck to him
  • We need more people like John to make sure the stigma is removed, it affects so many, most with depression hide it very well.
  • All the best John...know what your going through