Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Looks like Ben Alnwick will be signing for Riga...

13»

Comments

• Great move for him, especially for 3 years. Good luck Ben
  • Signed for Peterborough on a 3 year (!!) deal. Good luck Ben! Hopefully see you in the friendly in midweek.

Good Luck Ben.

Glad it's a long deal too as that suggested that the family issues won't stop him playing anymore.

P'Boro a good club but tend to let in a lot of goals so he might be busy.
  • edited July 2014

Signed for Peterborough on a 3 year (!!) deal. Good luck Ben! Hopefully see you in the friendly in midweek.

Good Luck Ben.

Glad it's a long deal too as that suggested that the family issues won't stop him playing anymore.

P'Boro a good club but tend to let in a lot of goals so he might be busy.

Easy friendly coming up for him to register a clean sheet it's only us :-0
  • Good luck to Ben Alnwick. He looked a very good keeper at times for us last season. Would have liked to have seen him come back to us - he must be just as good as Henderson (& was miles better than Thuram....)
  • Richard J said:

I have said this elsewhere and I know it is an unpopular view.

Thuram is not a clown in my opinion . He is a European style goalkeeper who likes to punch rather than catch the ball . I do not think he would have got French U21 Caps if he had no ability. I have stated above that I genuinely believe Richard Murray's account that he was pitched in at the last minute against Boro and that his debut was not planned because of Alnwick's late withdrawal . I have given evidence as to why I think this version of events is credible .

I have not commented about the Doncaster or Sheffield United rumours .I have also stated that Ben Alnwick was in my view our best goalie since Kiely and Carson. Personally I was gutted to see him depart.

The goal Thuram conceded at the Riverside was poor and probably cost us a point , but I remember from the highlights he made a couple of good reaction saves as well. Maybe he could have done better with the late goals at Wigan or are we being too harsh ?

Yes I agree it was an error to bring in a Keeper who had no experience of English football at such a critical stage of the season and he was unsuited to the Championship and had no time to adapt .Now, Just to be clear I am not suggesting resigning him .However , it might have been more interesting to see how he would have adapted had he had a pre season with us.

A footnote . Who was in goal for Standard and kept a clean sheet when we lost 2-0 against them a couple of weeks ago?

I was a big defender of Yohann Thuram and agree with your first comment that he is just a European Goalkeeper who prefers to punch rather than catch the ball.

Trouble is though you state he's won countless France U21 caps yet Yassin Moutaouakil was the French U21 Captain two years prior to Thuram getting his caps (and Yassin won three more caps that Thuram did)
  • Didn't Chris Powell subsequently say via Dyer that Thuram wasn't even up to Conference standard ....
  • edited July 2014

Didn't Chris Powell subsequently say via Dyer that Thuram wasn't even up to Conference standard ....

Great keeper, you ask him :-0
  • Didn't Chris Powell subsequently say via Dyer that Thuram wasn't even up to Conference standard ....

I think that came up in a newspaper article and there was not a direct quote just that the Charlton back room staff felt that.