Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - Interview discussing earlier injury woes (p14)

Comments

• Options
    It does feel more like a punishment than a genuine loan.
  • Options
    As I’ve said before it’s a weird one. Just can’t see the point of it.
  • Options
    Odd one as surely after he didnt play the first few we would have had a word and if no assurances of gametime recalled him and sent him out to another team or isnt that possible and you have to wait till jan ?! Surely not 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Poor all round, we surely would’ve done our research and had agreed he would be playing or at least had a strong feeling that would be the case.

As said I think before, if he doesn’t get in the team by end of October, he’ll be straight back and on loan to a League Two club in January.
  • Options
    Really odd loan. 

Poor Scottish PL team who's keeper was their PoTY last season and who's average attendance puts them on a par with Hartlepool, Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield in the Conference.  In addition it is so far away I am betting the lad will get next to no assistance / attendance from anyone at Charlton whilst away.

Definitely a question for Roddy/Gallen because without context it looks just an exceptionally poor decision.
  • Options
    Definitely a weird move. Ross County’s keeper will have some goodwill in the bank so not even like you can see AMB getting a game on the back of a poor performance or two from the Number 1. Tough with keepers because not like you give him 10-20 mins for a few games to stake his claim. Poor from us to be fair as I doubt it was always our intention to sign an experienced Number 2 so don’t get the logic. 
  • Options
    Looks like they have written him off already ?
  • Options
    He'd have been better off going to a top 6 National league side, they'd probably be a better team anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    He'd have been better off going to a top 6 National league side, they'd probably be a better team anyway.
    And we could recall him if he’s not playing. Instead we’re going to have to wait until January.
  • Options
    The keeper is a unique position. On another thread it's been mentioned how Danny Ward, the Welsh keeper, hasn't played a League game for four years. We've taken on players in good faith and hardly given them a kick but at least they've had cameos. A keeper doesn't get that unless it's in cup competitions but as it's a season long loan he may well be told that he has to bide his time. Didn't he miss the beginning of the season because of the Olympics too in which case it would be a bit hard on their permanent keeper if he's done well to drop him.

It we were the club that had taken him on loan in these circumstances I'm sure we would have seen things differently
  • Options
    Keeper is a unique position and playing in the National League would be far better than sitting on the bench in the Scottish Premier League. I can't see how that can even be debated. 
  • Options
    Keeper is a unique position and playing in the National League would be far better than sitting on the bench in the Scottish Premier League. I can't see how that can even be debated. 
    That pre supposes that there are lots of keeping positions in the National League. Each club will probably have one permanent contracted keeper who will have signed that contract on the back of playing and being paid bonuses for winning. 

It's a chicken and egg situation. Charlton don't think he's good enough to play for us so he lacks experience. Because he lacks experience clubs below us would rather play keepers who are already contracted and established at that level. They don't need to give AMB the opportunity to make the mistakes that we aren't prepared to. There are, after all, less than 50 places available in the two divisions below us and probably hundreds and hundreds of keepers out there that are good enough to fill that position. 
  • Options
    That pre supposes that there are lots of keeping positions in the National League. Each club will probably have one permanent contracted keeper who will have signed that contract on the back of playing and being paid bonuses for winning. 

It's a chicken and egg situation. Charlton don't think he's good enough to play for us so he lacks experience. Because he lacks experience clubs below us would rather play keepers who are already contracted and established at that level. They don't need to give AMB the opportunity to make the mistakes that we aren't prepared to. There are, after all, less than 50 places available in the two divisions below us and probably hundreds and hundreds of keepers out there that are good enough to fill that position. 
    And that's the point of loaning a young player out. As things stand he'll return and we'll be none the wiser as to how he copes with senior football.
  • Options
    I do wonder if they expected to sell their keeper........ 
  • Options
    I can't even see Ross having given much of a fee. Maybe they agreed a deal for his wages but the main focal point of AMB moving was to play games. He would have got that down at the National league.

Or are we assuming lower league teams will all too gratefully take a L1 team's player with no league experience and place them into their first 11. The reason I say that is that I've just remembered no team from even L2 were interested in loaning Albie for an entire or half a season - somebody who had Championship and L1 experience (aswell as coaching from the ex CM dynamo).
  • Options

And that's the point of loaning a young player out. As things stand he'll return and we'll be none the wiser as to how he copes with senior football.
    But with the lack of clubs needing a keeper he will reach a level which, actually, be below what he might get playing for the U23s. We have no right to dictate to a club that they not just take him but also play him any more than Man Utd would have done with Levitt. The subtle difference is that Levitt is being loaned out by a top PL side and can play in more than one position. AMB isn't and can't.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I can't even see Ross having given much of a fee. Maybe they agreed a deal for his wages but the main focal point of AMB moving was to play games. He would have got that down at the National league.

Or are we assuming lower league teams will all too gratefully take a L1 team's player with no league experience and place them into their first 11. The reason I say that is that I've just remembered no team from even L2 were interested in loaning Albie for an entire or half a season - somebody who had Championship and L1 experience (aswell as coaching from the ex CM dynamo).
    We seem to have struggled at loaning young players out in recent years to get good experience, the banning of emergency loans within the EFL seem to have really impacted this, as it makes taking on loan players a longer term commitment, rather than bringing in someone for a month to cover for injuries

• Options
    Perhaps they gave us a fee/were willing to pay all of his wages that other clubs were not able to do. 

I don't understand why he's on a bench for Ross County when he could be on our bench and we'd have saved money from Henderson. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The keeper is a unique position. On another thread it's been mentioned how Danny Ward, the Welsh keeper, hasn't played a League game for four years. We've taken on players in good faith and hardly given them a kick but at least they've had cameos. A keeper doesn't get that unless it's in cup competitions but as it's a season long loan he may well be told that he has to bide his time. Didn't he miss the beginning of the season because of the Olympics too in which case it would be a bit hard on their permanent keeper if he's done well to drop him.

It we were the club that had taken him on loan in these circumstances I'm sure we would have seen things differently
    We would see it signing a decent keeper to be Number 2. Like when we signed Maxwell but Phillips kept his place, of course being bias you're happy to see your keeper doing well and you're happy you've got a decent option on the bench. The difference is when we signed Maxwell he was replacing someone who had been our Number 1 so would have expected minutes, even if not straight away. 
  • Options
    Gets a mention in the match report.  Good on him