Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos signs season long loan (ed. Pg 9 - gone Millwall)

Comments

• Good, now a striker, a winger (probably Stewart) and if we're stretching it an experienced full back to cover both flanks and I think we're done
  • Yeah a massive empty stadium unfortunately....welcome to the empty Valley Ben.
  • Just about 100 apps to his name. You'd ideally want a lot more experience from your "experienced" goalkeeper. But on the other hand, over half of those appearances have come in the Championship so he should do well.
  • Hope he does well.
  • Good. It would be nice though if all this business was done earlier, so pre season practise defence drills can be completed. All this last minute business is not helpful.

Charlton still need a creative attacking central midfielder, striker or 2 if Magennis goes & winger cover for Marshall. Stewart potentially but jury seems to be out on that.

Best of luck to Amos at Charlton.
  • A month later than I would have liked it, but welcome Ben. Seems slightly strange that he played for Bolton in the Championship, but became second choice for them after relegation to L1, so that he was loaned to Championship Cardiff.
  • edited July 2017
    Think there's need for Martin too.
  • Sponsored links:

• TEL said:

Yeah a massive empty stadium unfortunately....welcome to the empty Valley Ben.

"Charlton is a massive club".

Why do players say rubbish like that?!
    I assume he means at this level, not in world football!
  • Interesting quote from KM
    CEO Katrien Meire added: “The goalkeeper position was an important one for us this summer. We’re very pleased to be able to bring in Ben, especially as It has taken a bit longer than we wanted to get everything complete.”

Strange that there's been no whiff of interest in Amos until recently, even though Bolton made it clear he could go a couple of months ago. And we were courting Martin. So was Amos first choice all summer?
  • I am pleased. He would have worked with Lee Turner at Bolton.

Like Alnwick and Button he probably stayed at a big club too long. Think he will improve with games.
  • Well it's the second keeper sorted. No idea if he is any good or not, seems to have had a massive fall from grace from getting a decent wedge to being Bolton's fourth choice keeper.

Hopefully this will give him the platform to find his form again

Maybe he was loaned out last season as his wages are higher than Howard and Alnwick's?
  • Sponsored links:

• Phew... Least we've Goalkeeper cover now, was the one reason position left that was worrying me!!
  • underwhelmed....... 27 years old and only once has held the no 1 position for a season, 1 year at Bolton, I think their relegation season. He's been available for a while, no-one else has snapped him up......

Think it's a risk, might work out, but a risk in such a key position. Fingers crossed......
  • Valley11 said:

Interesting quote from KM
    CEO Katrien Meire added: “The goalkeeper position was an important one for us this summer. We’re very pleased to be able to bring in Ben, especially as It has taken a bit longer than we wanted to get everything complete.”

Strange that there's been no whiff of interest in Amos until recently, even though Bolton made it clear he could go a couple of months ago. And we were courting Martin. So was Amos first choice all summer?

I think we sometimes make the mistake in thinking we'll know about every transfer movement in advance, and that's just not the case. No one had a clue about Fosu, for example.

We took Martin to Ireland but didn't sign him, which felt a bit off at the time, but it was clear that there was someone else. Maybe it was Amos and we needed to negotiate down wages, maybe it was someone else, maybe it was just the feeling that we could do better for the money.

Either way, he's here, and he's a very good signing at this level.
  • Personally I'd prefer Martin. An established number one at this level, with lots of games under his belt.
    But good luck Ben.
  • Welcome Ben. Hope you avoid the gaffes! http://bit.ly/trotteramos
  • The rumours a while ago were that Karl wanted 2 keepers and to send Phillips out on loan.

May be too late to get that done but there is a possibility we will still get Martin to compete with Amos.
  • Rob7Lee said:

underwhelmed....... 27 years old and only once has held the no 1 position for a season, 1 year at Bolton, I think their relegation season. He's been available for a while, no-one else has snapped him up......

Think it's a risk, might work out, but a risk in such a key position. Fingers crossed......

Christ alive Rob.....just who or what were you expecting Peter f'ing Schmeichel?
    Whilst crossing your fingers can you also try to clap the fella on board when he's making his debut.......assuming that's possible as I've not tried it myself!