Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

Comments

• I think the combination of his lack of pre-season and the fact the team has been winning and playing pretty well is what has kept him out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson rest a couple of players on Saturday and Reeves may well get his chance. There are still so many games to play, he has more than enough time to make an impact this season.
  • He's injured, that's why he's not in the squads.

He's got a poor injury record anyway.

I think Clarke is a better no. 10 but Reeves' long range shooting will catch the eye of some more than Clarke's short passing.

There is room, and a need, for both in the squad but I think Marshall will have the bigger impact when he returns.
  • Give the guy a chance, I think he'll prove to be a good signing. As Henry says he has a poor injury record so was only ever a 30 game a season player at best.

After the rubbish we've often signed over the last few years ......

Once fit he would be a good cover for a few players, competition drives performances.
  • Laughable.
  • I get the sentiment of the OP. It's frustrating that he seemingly put himself up for a dutch auction without bothering to keep himself fit especially when his injury record is suspect. Question marks will always remain as to whether he actually wanted to come here or whether we were the highest bidders.

The above being said, it's far too early to make any real judgement. We're only a few games in and there's plenty of time for him to prove his value. I'd rather judge him when he gets on the pitch and has a sustained run in the team.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, We have found our new scapegoat.
  • Frustrating that he was unfit and barely played so far? Of course.
    A disastrous signing? Of course not!

We are 7 games in, 40+ games to go and I am sure he will be ready soon. Judge him when he plays not just because he's missed a few otherwise Marshall has been a disaster too by the same logic.

Marshall and Reeves are completely different.

Marshall got injured playing in a Pre season friendly, in contrast Reeves, stalled his move, missed pre season training and now 6 weeks into the season still isn't fit enough to even make the bench.

I am saying that this attitude is not professional and does him no favours.
    Of course he may start playing and be like Holmes, but I for one will need to be convinced, and I honestly hope that I am wrong.
  • Ben Reeves is still working his way back to match fitness.

“He has been running this week,” explained Robinson. “His scan came back fine. There is no scar tissue anymore. I’m not saying he’s injured – I’m not saying he is fit.

“He has got a little tiny strain when he came back through not having a condition [missing the summer pre-season fitness schedule as he signed just before the League One campaign started].”
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Redrobo said:

On his day - we've heard that before with a certain mr watt, in with the op no point signing someone that's not fit.

Really? one of the best players in this league on a free and you would not sign him because he has not done a pre season.
    yep on his day tony watt would be one of the best strikers in this league unfortunately we didn't see enough of them days, so far we haven't seen what reeves is capable of, also doesn't mean he will deliver - nicky ajose was lethal for bury for us couldn't hit a barn door and has ended up going out on loan.

i personally wont label his signing a disaster as we haven't seen him yet - but i get what the op is getting at it is frustrating though as i would of liked to have seen another striker come in.

• Frustrating that he was unfit and barely played so far? Of course.
    A disastrous signing? Of course not!

We are 7 games in, 40+ games to go and I am sure he will be ready soon. Judge him when he plays not just because he's missed a few otherwise Marshall has been a disaster too by the same logic.

Marshall and Reeves are completely different.

Marshall got injured playing in a Pre season friendly, in contrast Reeves, stalled his move, missed pre season training and now 6 weeks into the season still isn't fit enough to even make the bench.

I am saying that this attitude is not professional and does him no favours.
    Of course he may start playing and be like Holmes, but I for one will need to be convinced, and I honestly hope that I am wrong.
    I get that, but the fact is that neither have started a League game for the club yet.

You say we need a striker, not a midfielder who might be fit for Christmas. This is summing up the situation of Marshall. Not the clubs fault, just an unfortunate accident but it's still the case.

So if Reeves is a disaster because he has barely played, surely is Marshall.

For the record, I actually agree that Reeves mucked us around. But that will be forgotten about if he comes back and plays like he has for the last couple of seasons.

• Given the impressive start to the season (before Wigan), he probably wouldn't have got much of a look in anyway.
  • There seems to be some contradiction here. Many say the squad is too thin. Many say that they can't see a role for Reeves. It's highly unlikely he is going to be superfluous to needs surely.
  • Whilst obviously not a "a disaster," I can see where Billericay Dickie is coming from here with Reeves. Robinson looked far keener than Reeves to do the deal and we did look like last option when he signed. When we talk about "missing pre-season" the assumption is that he had an extended holiday and didn't stay fit when he knew he was looking for a new club. If he is injured it's not a 'fitness' issue but Robinson has said unhelpfully this week that "I'm not saying he is injured - I am not saying he is fit." He did play weeks ago in the Crawley game and he has been running this week. A recent scan was "fine", so we are none the wiser. Hope he proves himself but not great so far.
  • There seems to be some contradiction here. Many say the squad is too thin. Many say that they can't see a role for Reeves. It's highly unlikely he is going to be superfluous to needs surely.

I think the issue is that we need him on the bench because the overall depth isnt great but there isnt a starting role for him at the moment as he isnt getting past Billy Clarke
  • Agree totally with the OP. Hopefully tho when Reeves gets fit he will show us what he's about but for a professional footballer to have missed out on a worthwhile pre season is not very clever. It is no way similar to Marshall as he got injured. Reeves may have subsequently got injured but he came to us short of fitness and that may well have contributed to his current injury.
  • Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.

Yes it will.
    When he is eventually fit I will have a better idea about him, but it doesn't alter the fact that he has wasted nearly two months of the season
    The season didn't start on the 14th July !
  • Sponsored links:

• so another 5-6 games before hes match fit?.

that means he will have missed 13 games for us.

i assume he's still being paid weekly for his lack of preperation as others have said its not v professional to just not do anything for 2 months,

its like booking a plumber and he turns up without any tools then expects you to continue looking at the leak till he goes off and buys them.

its not an injury its a fitness issue.
  • Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.

Yes it will.
    When he is eventually fit I will have a better idea about him, but it doesn't alter the fact that he has wasted nearly two months of the season
    it didn't but hes also not playing tomorrow so by the time he comes in he will have missed 2 months.

Yes it will.
    it didn't but hes also not playing tomorrow so by the time he comes in he will have missed 2 months.
    Despite missing 2 months, in the meantime he's already scored in a Cup game.

• Oggy Red said:

Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.

Yes it will.

And signed quite a few autographs.......which from personal experience can be quite exhausting!
  • Oggy Red said:

Will be interesting to see if you are still of the same opinion come next May.

Yes it will.

a cup that me nor the team care about, promotion is the aim for this season.
  • so another 5-6 games before hes match fit?.

that means he will have missed 13 games for us.

i assume he's still being paid weekly for his lack of preperation as others have said its not v professional to just not do anything for 2 months,

its like booking a plumber and he turns up without any tools then expects you to continue looking at the leak till he goes off and buys them.

its not an injury its a fitness issue.

He did pick up an injury though didn't he?
  • edited September 2017
    @Scoham 1st september;

"Ben was stiff and sore after Crawley but he will travel. When people don't have pre-season it is really noticeable and it's his fault. Ife he did do one he would now be part of a very efficient, fit squad.

"He is a high-energy player. Looking at the goal he scored the other night it's what I have seen in Ben and why I like him.

"He had no space other than two or three yards to work in and there was very little back-lift. He showed power and precision in his ball striking.

"That's what he brings, he can create something out of nothing. When fluidiyy isn't there, you sometimes need that little bit of magi and he can produce that.

"He was unreal in training session. Some of the lads were laughing at what he was doing with a football. He is so talented. The most important thing is the fitness and the injury levels have to support that talent.

"The resources we have at this club, we can support him."

so hes not fit enough to play against league 1 teams but hes got unbelievable tekkers.
  • edited September 2017
    I'm more concerned about Marshall than Reeves.

Marshall is very dependent on his pace and one fears that the injury he has had could result in a significant loss of pace. From the snippets I've seen on Match of The Day, champions league highlights etc Gomez no longer has the Rolls Royce acceleration that enabled him to look so good at such a young age. Marshall is at least 10 years older and his pace may be on the wane anyway without the assistance of the injury.

• I've concluded that Ben Reeves is not a real person.

He's actually made of Plasticine. He is Wallace's stunt double and is only six inches tall. He only moves when Nick Park or one of his fellow Aardman Animations operatives manipulate his little legs and then put the individual frames together at 24fps to create his YouTube videos.
  • Surely the only way to get match fit is play matches.Something not right here