Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Reeves (pg 11 - signed for Plymouth.)

Comments

• Options
    The issue must be more than Ben just lacking fitness. Expect he has an injury but the club are too embarrassed to admit it as they know they will get a backlash about signing such an injury prone player if they do.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Ladies and gentlemen, We have found our new scapegoat.

or the new Cory Gibbs ?
  • Options

@Scoham 1st september;

"Ben was stiff and sore after Crawley but he will travel. When people don't have pre-season it is really noticeable and it's his fault. Ife he did do one he would now be part of a very efficient, fit squad.

"He is a high-energy player. Looking at the goal he scored the other night it's what I have seen in Ben and why I like him.

"He had no space other than two or three yards to work in and there was very little back-lift. He showed power and precision in his ball striking.

"That's what he brings, he can create something out of nothing. When fluidiyy isn't there, you sometimes need that little bit of magi and he can produce that.

"He was unreal in training session. Some of the lads were laughing at what he was doing with a football. He is so talented. The most important thing is the fitness and the injury levels have to support that talent.

"The resources we have at this club, we can support him."

so hes not fit enough to play against league 1 teams but hes got unbelievable tekkers.

sounds like he had the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    Calf niggle as I understand it.
  • Options
    I wonder who be first between Reeves and club legend Johnson to turn out for the first team?
  • Options
    I saw him at Gills away walking off at the end. So he must be fit enough to travel. Really bizarre he's not even making the bench
  • Options

I saw him at Gills away walking off at the end. So he must be fit enough to travel. Really bizarre he's not even making the bench

He's carrying an injury !!!!!!

• Options
    said it on the day he signed & been saying it ever since - we should never have signed him & should have got in a striker instead. Any player who decides to play one team off against another & not train whilst doing so is not professional & goes completely against KR's mantra of "doing our business early" and signing players "who really want to play for the club".

Bloke is a twat.....and is taking up space when we could really do with another option, either in the team or off the bench.
  • Options

In my opinion singing Ben Reeves has been a disaster, and Robinson has dropped a real clanger signing him.
    My personal view is that I don't think that he ever really wanted to play for Charlton.
    He spent all summer playing off one club for another, while he supposedly weighed up his options. Until a few days before the start of the season he graciously decides to sign for Charlton.

Because he fucked around all summer he hasn't done any pre-season training, now 6 weeks later in mid September he is still so unfit that he cannot even make the bench.

The wages and signing on fee that we are paying him could, and should have gone on signing a second decent striker.
    Another striker is what we need, Not a quarter fit midfielder that might get himself fit for Christmas!

Oh shut up.
  • Options
    I thought Robbo said he was hoping to be back up to speed in about a months time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought Robbo said he was hoping to be back up to speed in about a months time?

At Charlton a month means 12 weeks
  • Options

Something's not right though, is it?

A season or 2 ago, Jacko missed a whole string of matches because of a 'tight' hamstring.
    No doubt the fear was that it might take just 1 sprint and the hamstring badly tears.

Maybe it's the same sort of fear with Reeves' calf niggle?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

A season or 2 ago, Jacko missed a whole string of matches because of a 'tight' hamstring.
    No doubt the fear was that it might take just 1 sprint and the hamstring badly tears.

Well exactly Oggy. Our medical and fitness staff have perhaps rightly taken a fair amount of stick over the past few seasons. If Robinson is being advised to hold off Reeves selection for a few weeks more then just perhaps they and effectively the club won't receive critisism for not looking after the injured players in its care.

• Options

Calf niggle as I understand it.

I couldn't give a toss about his dairy herd !
    I reckon it's a load of bull anyway
  • Options
    Perhaps, he is just injured or is there any evidence of some other problem?
  • Options
    masicat said:

In my opinion singing Ben Reeves has been a disaster, and Robinson has dropped a real clanger signing him.
    My personal view is that I don't think that he ever really wanted to play for Charlton.
    He spent all summer playing off one club for another, while he supposedly weighed up his options. Until a few days before the start of the season he graciously decides to sign for Charlton.

Because he fucked around all summer he hasn't done any pre-season training, now 6 weeks later in mid September he is still so unfit that he cannot even make the bench.

The wages and signing on fee that we are paying him could, and should have gone on signing a second decent striker.
    Another striker is what we need, Not a quarter fit midfielder that might get himself fit for Christmas!

Oh shut up.
    What is wrong with the post?
  • Options
    should never have signed him, can't really see him becoming good shit attitude, was blatantly holding out for a better offer, and to me charlton is the holy grail, so fuck him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's trying to join the elusive Cory Gibbs club.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Well exactly Oggy. Our medical and fitness staff have perhaps rightly taken a fair amount of stick over the past few seasons. If Robinson is being advised to hold off Reeves selection for a few weeks more then just perhaps they and effectively the club won't receive critisism for not looking after the injured players in its care.

Robbo should tel us then if that's the case, would stop us all wondering the hell is going on given the choice I would rather have got a striker instead of some fella surplus to requirements at rangers
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Robbo should tel us then if that's the case, would stop us all wondering the hell is going on given the choice I would rather have got a striker instead of some fella surplus to requirements at rangers
    To be fair he has said that in his pre match interviews.
  • Options
    This is what KR said in August and I'm sure he said similar recently. He played him too early and that led to a calf problem.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/29491/charlton-athletic-boss-takes-blame-summer-signings-fitness-setback/

“Because he has missed so much of pre-season I’ve had to bite the bullet a little bit. He’s had a little bit of a tight calf through me being a poor manager and putting him in too soon.

“I was eager to get him in the squad because I know how good he is, the fans have seen at this level how good he is.

“I’ve got to listen to people who are better-educated than me in sports science and medicine. They get that bit right.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

This is what KR said in August and I'm sure he said similar recently. He played him too early and that led to a calf problem.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/29491/charlton-athletic-boss-takes-blame-summer-signings-fitness-setback/

“Because he has missed so much of pre-season I’ve had to bite the bullet a little bit. He’s had a little bit of a tight calf through me being a poor manager and putting him in too soon.

“I was eager to get him in the squad because I know how good he is, the fans have seen at this level how good he is.

“I’ve got to listen to people who are better-educated than me in sports science and medicine. They get that bit right.

Sorry Robbo, but you got a new toy and you broke it. Don't be thinking you will be getting new ones for Xmas because rich old uncle Rolly maybe off his trolley, but he does not reward his child disciples who don't play nicely and to his rules.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Scoham said:

Sorry Robbo, but you got a new toy and you broke it. Don't be thinking you will be getting new ones for Xmas because rich old uncle Rolly maybe off his trolley, but he does not reward his child disciples who don't play nicely and to his rules.
    He did that with Mavididididi from Arsenal last year
  • Options

Where is the evidence that his attitude is poor? A man at a key stage of his career may have waited to weigh up his options. He's entitled to do that.

I also think he can be excused for not leaping at the opportunity to join Uncle Roly's Circus. The last time he played against us we were awful. Truly, truly awaful. Robinson knows him better than any of us, so I think I'm willing to trust him on this one.

he obviously did not keep himself fit over the summer though and that wouldn't have been any different whoever he ended up signing for eventually. Club should have told him we'd start paying him when he could prove his fitness to play.

• Options

Where is the evidence that his attitude is poor? A man at a key stage of his career may have waited to weigh up his options. He's entitled to do that.

I also think he can be excused for not leaping at the opportunity to join Uncle Roly's Circus. The last time he played against us we were awful. Truly, truly awaful. Robinson knows him better than any of us, so I think I'm willing to trust him on this one.

he obviously did not keep himself fit over the summer though and that wouldn't have been any different whoever he ended up signing for eventually. Club should have told him we'd start paying him when he could prove his fitness to play.

Its certainly interesting that Dave Martin (another who didnt sign a new deal @ MK Dons) who was also without a club for just as long is already playing for Millwall yet has mainly been on the bench for them - I know he spent a BIT of time with Charlton yet he managed to keep himself fit over the summer so wasnt difficult for Reeves to do the same.