Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Manager has been nominated for the Coach of the Year Award at the British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards

Vote

http://bedsa.org/voting-form/ #cafc #cafcwomen
  • edited February 2020
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e54f2c591740/club-statement-lucy-kerr

Sorry, I did not notice another thread for this poor young lady
  • That is incredibly sad RIP 

• I have a sudden interest in women's football
  • Despite only having 7 points from 12 games we have avoided relegation as relegation has been cancelled(phew)

Aston Villa promoted as champions 

Chelsea won women's Super League 
  • Good news about staying up. Liverpool games next season.
  • Lucky as almost certainly going to be relegated otherwise, lets hope next season improves.
  • Maybe with that sorted Huw Jenkins can make his move.. 😀
  • Bethan Roe has joined on loan from Brighton. She played today. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The women's game against Coventry tomorrow has been chosen as the 1 game per weekend streamed free on the FA Player from our level. You need an account but there's no charge. It also shows highlights of past games and those that don't get shown live. This is pretty much a must-win if we aspire to mid-table or higher. 2pm kickoff.
    https://faplayer.thefa.com/live/womens-championship
    In other news, Charlotte Gurr is back in the squad after a long injury absence. If she's anything like back to her best this will be very good news for the club.
  • Thanks for the tip 
  • 1-0 loss to bottom of the table side that had 6 straight defeats before this. At the risk of getting pelters, when is it right to change management? After last season and the start of this, I do appreciate what has gone before and the higher level but something needs to change? Riteesh I know is highly regarded, but just can't get the women's team firing for some reason since the move up the leagues.
  • edited November 2020
    Every since they lost Kit Graham and Ejupi their twin strikers who nearly helped them finished 2nd to Man united Two seasons ago: 2-0 up against Spurs but lost 3-2 which cost Cafc the second spot.

Saw lots of games in 2018 including home wins against Palace and Millwall and saw the girls win at Selhurst park which is nearer for me than Crayford.

As the men's team have found over the last 60 years when your best players leave especially strikers you stop winning matches.

Riteesh did get the girls playing well in the championship but he will need an improved budget to compete now and Thomas Sandgaard sounds keen to help.

Ps. Saw Spurs take on Arsenal at the new Tottenham stadium last season and Kit Graham did struggle with the extra fitness involved but she still has a fantastic shot on her. 
  • Every since they lost Kit Graham and Ejupi their twin strikers who nearly helped them finished 2nd to Man united Two seasons ago: 2-0 up against Spurs but lost 3-2 which cost Cafc the second spot.

Saw lots of games in 2018 including home wins against Palace and Millwall and saw the girls win at Selhurst park which is nearer for me than Crayford.

As the men's team have found over the last 60 years when your best players leave especially strikers you stop winning matches.

Riteesh did get the girls playing well in the championship but he will need an improved budget to compete now and Thomas Sandgaard sounds keen to help.

Ps. Saw Spurs take on Arsenal at the new Tottenham stadium last season and Kit Graham did struggle with the extra fitness involved but she still has a fantastic shot on her. 
    I coached in women's football many years ago, and what was true then still seems true now ... just as in boys/youth football, with one or two good players in the team, you can dominate quite easily.

Get yourself a good goalkeeper, a decent striker and a good central midfielder and you will win most games.

The tactical element is much more primitive than in men's football.  Shots on target have a high chance of resulting in goals, so Kit Graham's 'fantastic shot' that you describe will still be an asset, even at top level.
  • edited November 2020
    I noticed that kit Graham appears to be negated by the international class defenders of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man city, United and now Everton where the full time professional training everyday has improved marking and fitness. The rest of the premier Division you just have longer to take shots where Kit can still unleash the "rocket"

Katie Startup was Charlton's keeper when I was watching and she did some great reflex saves and one or two clangers but the keepers at the top clubs are getting better all the time with full time coaching despite, not many being 6 foot tall, after watching the save that the young Everton keeper did in the first half of the Cup final, they are improving all the time.
  • After watching the clangers of Pickford, de Gea, and Lloris from the English, Spanish and French Number 1's I'm not sure that they are lagging behind at the elite level.
  • edited November 2020
    Dave Rudd said:
    Every since they lost Kit Graham and Ejupi their twin strikers who nearly helped them finished 2nd to Man united Two seasons ago: 2-0 up against Spurs but lost 3-2 which cost Cafc the second spot.

I coached in women's football many years ago, and what was true then still seems true now ... just as in boys/youth football, with one or two good players in the team, you can dominate quite easily.

Get yourself a good goalkeeper, a decent striker and a good central midfielder and you will win most games.

The tactical element is much more primitive than in men's football.  Shots on target have a high chance of resulting in goals, so Kit Graham's 'fantastic shot' that you describe will still be an asset, even at top level.
    That is my view too for youth football and from what I have seen from Women's football as it is now. It is all about the spine of the team having the right attributes. For me, saves, pace, a nasty edge, a bit of quality and goal scoring. Many would say, well of course, but I say focus on 4 or 5 players and try to get that right and the others will be brought along.

Goalkeeper is a key position. If you watch women's football at the highest level and see how many goals are conceded that the keeper should do better with, it is clear that is the position to change to best alter things. I have seen good women keepers. Christiane Endler of Chile showed at the last world cup that the biggest barrier is not being a woman but coaching. Technically she was above anybody else. That is what you focus on for an easy win and if Sandgaard does want to invest, scout one or two possibles and coach them as best you can.
  • edited November 2020
    Sorry but I think we need a complete change in the management and coaching line up.

There are some very good players at the club.

Need to get off the bottom of the table as a matter of urgency. Too many 1-0 losses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    Sorry but I think we need a complete change in the management and coaching line up.

There are some very good players at the club.

Need to get off the bottom of the table as a matter of urgency. Too many 1-0 losses.
    Statement of the obvious, I know, but it sounds like goal-scoring is the problem.

I haven't watched the team, but ... are they encouraged to shoot from distance?  Can the midfielders and forwards hit a decent shot from 20-25 yards?

It's all very well having 'very good players', but they need to know what is expected of them.  Two or three key things to concentrate on in the game.

With a natural predatory forward, you can focus on getting the ball into the penalty area.  Without that, you have to exploit the vulnerability of the opposing goalkeeper by getting shots on target ... followed by more shots on target.
  • I haven't seen the girls play since finishing 3rd in the Championship when goal scoring was never a problem. All types of goals were scored in that season Cafc lost their two main goal scorers and they totally lost momentum since. 

Only coached and managed boys and youth football but I agree that when on the few occasions I had time to watch my daughter's team play, most successful girls teams had a couple of really good players.
    The best opposition were daughters of American serviceman. They wore gum shields and my daughter who was a good netball player and athlete had a battle royal in midfield. No surprise that the American girls team won.

Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and now Man utd with their professional players from the USA and Europe are now so far ahead. 
    It was great to see Everton try to join the party with their young English keeper outstanding in the Cup final against Man City.  
  • A recent signing scored some great goals in early games. Then team led Coventry 2-0 before letting in 3 goals. The team has several international players.

Something needs to happen soon or relegation will be a certainty.
  • Charlton had a strong team back in the day before Richard Murray pulled the plug.
    We had taken over Croydon Ladies which was a dodgy move but we suddenly were a contender in the woman's game.

We will need a financial boost and then we can decide if our coaches, players and infrastructure is strong enough.

Being bottom of the Championship is a indicator that we need Thomas Sandgaard's help in both the men's and woman's team to crawl back to the Championship in the men's game and rise up the championship table for the women's team.
  • Very difficult to comment without having seen the girls team what the problem is. Thomas has talked about them being part of the Charlton family. Hopefully we can do enough to stay up this year (only 1 gets relegated I believe) and then kick on next year. 
  • There is a good argument for making the goals smaller in women's football.
  • edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    There is a good argument for making the goals smaller in women's football.
    Not for me. A good woman keeper is rare because it is such a technical position and the coaching of women keepers lags behind what it should be. Of course male keepers have a physical advantage but they do in other positions too.

If the FA are not putting the resources into technical keeping coaching for the best young girls, they are missing a massive trick. And it is what should be happening at club level too.

• PopIcon said:
    Not for me. A good woman keeper is rare because it is such a technical position and the coaching of women keepers lags behind what it should be. Of course male keepers have a physical advantage but they do in other positions too.

If the FA are not putting the resources into technical keeping coaching for the best young girls, they are missing a massive trick. And it is what should be happening at club level too.

The goal posts are too high, they simply don't have a fair advantage compared to the mens game.
    According to the ONS, the average height of a man is 5 9" compared to 5 3" of a woman.
    It's a big physical difference.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

The goal posts are too high, they simply don't have a fair advantage compared to the mens game.
    According to the ONS, the average height of a man is 5 9" compared to 5 3" of a woman.
    Surprisingly it doesn't matter about height. The size of the goal is the same for both sides.

To win you just need to score more goals than the opposition.
  • Crusty54 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Surprisingly it doesn't matter about height. The size of the goal is the same for both sides.

To win you just need to score more goals than the opposition.
    That's not really the point I'm making.