Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019

Another one who will be scuffing up the greens with stupid dancing. It's a putt....get over it

• Options
    edited February 2019

Adam Scott has spoken out about the rule changes (and got an approving comment from Justin Thomas on Twitter).

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/02/13/adam-scott-rule-changes-pro-golf-laughingstock/

“They’ve just written more gray areas into the game that were not necessary,” Scott told the NY Times.

But Scott was just getting started. When asked about the flagstick rule, perhaps the most noticeable rule change, Scott said, “To be honest, it almost changes the whole aim of the game. It’s to hit the pin, not hole the putt. It takes speed out of your head so much. It even takes some reading of the green out.”

• Options
    Take the pin out then ?

Intoduced to speed up pace of play generally for players who are not very good.

• Options
    Beautiful golfing weather today for mid February. Unfortunately after 17 holes of steady play I needed just a double bogey or better on the par 5 18th to beat my hcp. Great drive, duffed 2nd, great recovery 3rd leaving me middle of the fairway 50 yds out. Dumped it in the bunker, 3 shots to get out and 3 putts!!!  A 10. Fucking game !!!!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Beautiful golfing weather today for mid February. Unfortunately after 17 holes of steady play I needed just a double bogey or better on the par 5 18th to beat my hcp. Great drive, duffed 2nd, great recovery 3rd leaving me middle of the fairway 50 yds out. Dumped it in the bunker, 3 shots to get out and 3 putts!!!  A 10. Fucking game !!!!
    ... golf.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Trying too hard & you let the pressure get up you. It's not golfing lessons you need but a shrink & a life coach. That or dont look at your score until you're back in the clubhouse......ignore those leaderboards  !!
  • Options
    One bad shot and Golfie has you locked up in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest :-) 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    My second ever round of golf was at Lullingstone. Found a bloke dead in a bunker at the 13th.
    How awful. But you would have been entitled to relief without penalty.
    What a sicko!

The man man finds a dead body any your first thought is that you could get away with a quick one off the wrist?!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Trying too hard & you let the pressure get up you. It's not golfing lessons you need but a shrink & a life coach. That or dont look at your score until you're back in the clubhouse......ignore those leaderboards  !!
    The ‘not looking at your score’ is good advice (unless you’re in a competition and need to know for risk management).
    You should know when you’re playing well without putting a number to it.
    I hit a purple patch (for me) years ago and would regularly score low 80s and the occasional high 70s at woodlands manor  (RIP) without totting up as I go.
    during that time I played poult wood and ruxley, a lot easier courses admittedly, but on both occasions had a stormer until my playing partner told me my score.
    walking off the 17rh green I was told I was only 3 over gross. I then sliced my tee shot into some trees, knew exactly where it went but when I got there we couldn’t find it. Wish I’d played a provisional.
    the ruxley one was the best 15 holes I have ever played. I was stood on the 16th tee and was told I was 1 under gross. That absolutely destroyed me as I turned from being Seve, to Spalding off caddyshack within a split second. Think I ended up shooting a 75 or 76.

• Options
    What a day for golf in February!!

Tee shirt weather.

havent got over 30 points for about 6 months.

Got 38 points, so must be a fair weather golfer

chuffed today - been a long winter !!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    BR3red said:
    What a day for golf in February!!

Tee shirt weather.

havent got over 30 points for about 6 months.

Got 38 points, so must be a fair weather golfer

chuffed today - been a long winter !!

• Options
    Wasn’t just me playing yesterday, then. Lovely conditions and I had a decent round after a 3-month break for winter 
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I played Vale do Lobo Royal on Monday. I’ve never been somewhere so pristine and pure, it even smelt nice (pine trees). Are all the expensive courses in that area just as classy, or even more so? We played 3 Pestana tracks before (Gramacho, Silves, Vale da Pinta), they were interesting but after VDL it felt a bit like we’d wasted 3 days.

I’m going to try and play more ‘proper’ courses this year. I’ve booked Prince’s, St George’s and will hopefully try North Foreland & London GC a couple of times. Blackheath is tempting too but it looks pricey for its length and layout.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I played Vale do Lobo Royal on Monday. I’ve never been somewhere so pristine and pure, it even smelt nice (pine trees). Are all the expensive courses in that area just as classy, or even more so? We played 3 Pestana tracks before (Gramacho, Silves, Vale da Pinta), they were interesting but after VDL it felt a bit like we’d wasted 3 days.

I’m going to try and play more ‘proper’ courses this year. I’ve booked Prince’s, St George’s and will hopefully try North Foreland & London GC a couple of times. Blackheath is tempting too but it looks pricey for its length and layout.

Played all those UK courses. Cost wise Princes is the best imo. Blackheath is ok but as you say is pricey for what it is. Plenty of similar courses in nearby Surrey such as Shirley Hills, Croham Hurst and the Addington ones. Don't like The London......
  • Options
    Come play The Addington with me @RedPanda
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    I would definitely be up for that, thank you! I've not played any of the classic lay outs in Surrey. If you're serious we could sort something from April onwards? I'm busy most weekends before then. 

Also Golfie yes, Prince's has great overnight deals (£109 for 36, twin room & 2 meals next month). I can't wait. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    supaclive said:
    I would definitely be up for that, thank you! I've not played any of the classic lay outs in Surrey. If you're serious we could sort something from April onwards? I'm busy most weekends before then. 

Also Golfie yes, Prince's has great overnight deals (£109 for 36, twin room & 2 meals next month). I can't wait. 
    Thats an unreal deal. Was that direct? I take it thats midweek? 
  • Options
    Yes @ChiAddick (having issues quoting), Thursday-Friday. If you pay for 18+18 at any time you get the overnight & meals for cheap. 

https://www.princesgolfclub.co.uk/play/fees-and-services/green-fees-and-golf-breaks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Without trying to be too technical as a 20 handicapper, I'm living in Florida until late Feb. The grass here from 50 yards out is very different. The ball sits up very high, so the clubs I use in England do not work. In England I'm used to launching a 60 degree 4 miles in the air hoping to land it somewhere close, however out here it's easy to go completely under the ball or thin it through the green. Just started to learn the benefits of a bump and run. Alien to me prior! My Grandad taught me that (I'm staying at his house out here) and he remains the only person I know who can shoot under his age. He's 84 and shot 80 4 days ago... PRICK!!! :-)
    I shot just under my age last week, i'm 25 but shot a 24! And after 3 holes i'd had enough and went home!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    What a game!!! Played again Monday, same situation going down 18th. First 4 shots were a carbon copy. Couldn’t believe history was repeating itself shot for shot , then expecting the worst, I got it out first time and although my first putt grazed the hole, I was left with a tap in for a double bogey and beat my hcp
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    supaclive said:

PM me and we'll get a date in April then!
  • Options
    Cannot find the “we are god at golf” thread

but Sawgrass now - 6 players in lead with handful of holes to play - wow
  • Options
    Jim in lead on own now
  • Options
    Level with Rory now....
  • Options
    Come on Rory !!

in lead with 2 to play on Paddy’s Day....
  • Options
    Great shot from Fleetwood for an easy eagle opportunity
  • Options
    And into the water on 17th