Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where do you think we will finish 2019/20 season? (Ed. Last season)

Comments

• Options
    Relegation
    Hopefully we don't get pumped every week.
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    19th
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    I think we can do enough to stay out of trouble but not confident beyond that
  • Options
    Relegation
    We haven’t bought anyone. Will struggle to get 30 points, IMO
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    13th - 21st
    _MrDick said:
    Purrington | Bonne were signed for fees

The others probably had signing on fees included
  • Options
    Relegation
    _MrDick said:

Should have said we haven’t bought any quality. The players we’ve acquired aren’t as good as the players we’ve lost. Desperately need players like Aribo, Cullen, Bauerand Beilik if we’re going to compete
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:

Should have said we haven’t bought any quality. The players we’ve acquired aren’t as good as the players we’ve lost. Desperately need players like Aribo, Cullen, Bauerand Beilik if we’re going to compete
    Harsh on Purrington.  I think he’s a decent player who was getting better toward the end of last season.  Admittedly this is a big step up and he struggled on Saturday, but I believe he will be okay 
  • Options
    Relegation
    Stig said:
    I think we'll at least flirt with relegation even if we don't take her home. Bowyer and team spirit may be enough to scrape a few points together but it'll be a struggle and the longer it goes on the harder it will get. LB is a very savvy manager, not a miracle worker.
    Take her home? Unless something changes before Saturday she is already in bed smoking a fag.

We will put up a fight maybe take it into April but that's about it. 
  • Options
    Relegation
    Bottom based on our squad currently. I hope I am wrong but we look miles off in quality and I don't see how that improves on our wage budget.  

RD will still own us and will be happy as we turn a small profit and he ignores the fact we have lost a heap of capital value as a league one club plus he will have to fund losses again in league one.  Still, next season he can wave goodbye to large owners like Sarr and Taylor.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    7th - 12th
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    7th - 12th.

It might seem blindly optimistic ...... but in truth, the squad isn't even fully assembled yet.

Taking a look back to this time last season, we hadn't even made a loan signing and half of CL were pessimistically saying we'd get relegated or just escape.

It doesn't help that the transfer window 'slams shut' 3 weeks earlier this year, but I imagine next week, the Prem clubs will be looking to fix up loan players moves to the EFL.

Bowyer and Gallen have always held out for the players they want, they did last season - and it paid off handsomely.

I expect a bit of a struggle for the first half a dozen games while new signings bed in and players adapt to the level.
    And God only help us if we get struck with an injury crisis. But given a fair wind with injuries, I reckon Bowyer will again assemble a fiercely competitive team greater than its sum of parts -  as the season progresses we'll gradually improve and finish with a flourish.

Verdict: We'll do better than many think.

We have two and a half days to make these signings. Bowyer's saying agents are laughing at him. I'd be very surprised if we make the same last minute quality signings as we did last year unfortunately.
    In reality we have 9 days to make these signings, Jimmy. The transfer window closes on August 8th.

Sure we'll go to Blackburn short-handed - but then last season, we had to go to Sunderland before any loan players were signed.

You might be surprised if we make the same last minute quality signings as we did last year, but then I doubt that you actually know which players are on Gallen's shopping list? We also saw as last season progressed how players were improved by the coaching team.

As I posted above, I expect us to struggle early on; we did last season also, the loan players signing after we'd already played a few League games. As always, once we've played 10 games we'll have some indication as to the team's ability to cope with this division.

Edit: Sorry, James - I do sound a bit confrontational. Not meant in that way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    13th - 21st
    A bumpy ride for sure, and hopefully some additions mid to bottom half finish.
  • Options
    Relegation
    With the squad as it is, we’ll do well to finish 23rd.
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    7th - 12th.

It might seem blindly optimistic ...... but in truth, the squad isn't even fully assembled yet.

Taking a look back to this time last season, we hadn't even made a loan signing and half of CL were pessimistically saying we'd get relegated or just escape.

It doesn't help that the transfer window 'slams shut' 3 weeks earlier this year, but I imagine next week, the Prem clubs will be looking to fix up loan players moves to the EFL.

Bowyer and Gallen have always held out for the players they want, they did last season - and it paid off handsomely.

I expect a bit of a struggle for the first half a dozen games while new signings bed in and players adapt to the level.
    And God only help us if we get struck with an injury crisis. But given a fair wind with injuries, I reckon Bowyer will again assemble a fiercely competitive team greater than its sum of parts -  as the season progresses we'll gradually improve and finish with a flourish.

Verdict: We'll do better than many think.

We have two and a half days to make these signings. Bowyer's saying agents are laughing at him. I'd be very surprised if we make the same last minute quality signings as we did last year unfortunately.
    In reality we have 9 days to make these signings, Jimmy. The transfer window closes on August 8th.

Sure we'll go to Blackburn short-handed - but then last season, we had to go to Sunderland before any loan players were signed.

You might be surprised if we make the same last minute quality signings as we did last year, but then I doubt that you actually know which players are on Gallen's shopping list? We also saw as last season progressed how players were improved by the coaching team.

As I posted above, I expect us to struggle early on; we did last season also, the loan players signing after we'd already played a few League games. As always, once we've played 10 games we'll have some indication as to the team's ability to cope with this division.

Edit: Sorry, James - I do sound a bit confrontational. Not meant in that way. 
    Not at all, no worries. Yes, I saw on the transfers thread that it's Aug 8th, so a bit better than I thought. Was getting very alarmed by lack of signings.
    Can only pray for a miracle on Saturday (I'm at a wedding, and then two weeks in Italy, so missing the first three games).
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    Consolidation AT 18th. Promotion in 2021.
  • Options
    Relegation
    Don't have enough depth, higher standard then league one.

5 players needed uregently to have any real chance 
  • Options
    Relegation
    cabbles said:
    For me it's going to be a long season, even if we get the bodies in on loan.  I think Bowyer's grit and determination will see us stay up, but we will all have to stick together to see this through
    I honestly think you’re projecting superhuman qualities onto Lee Bowyer. I can see why you would want to, but it’s not based in reality.

As the squad stands, 80 hours before the season starts, we will be relegated.
  • Options
    Relegation
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    For me it's going to be a long season, even if we get the bodies in on loan.  I think Bowyer's grit and determination will see us stay up, but we will all have to stick together to see this through
    I honestly think you’re projecting superhuman qualities onto Lee Bowyer. I can see why you would want to, but it’s not based in reality.

The squad looks worse than last season and we're in a higher division - I hope the loan signings materialise or some of our younger players step up. 

• Options
    13th - 21st
    Relegated with the current squad but I’m still expecting some good players on loan that’ll give us enough to stay up.
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    A tough season but our team spirit will see us through.  16th 
  • Options
    Play offs
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:

So @cabblesposts an opinion based on the facts of what happened last season and you say it’s not based on reality and you post an opinion that can only be based on the fact like every other team in the championship charlton hasn’t signed even more players. The season hasn't actually started, there hasn’t been a competitive match yet, nobody knows how Charlton compare to the other 23 teams but we do know the players we have are actually pretty good but haven’t had a proper match to show it so far and there are 3 players in the squad who know where the goal is, possibly even 4 if wiredu maintains his scoring run. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Relegation
    I think there is a danger of a complete meltdown this season if we do not add quality and the old twunt remains as owner. Last season, from the depths of despair came a real campaign that grew legs and momentum as it went on, buoyed by LB and his team and a load of quality football and the belief that Dickhead would sell. All culminating at Wembley and the promise of a brave new world ahead. Two months on and we are in real doodoo (and I don’t mean Joe). Bellend is still owner and clearly isn’t going anywhere. LB hasn't a pot to piss in and his boundless optimism is more muted by the day. 10k season ticket holders won’t take long to get pissed off. Players of the required standard won’t touch us with a barge pole if they have any option. We will sign the needy and the desperate if we sign anyone. Our brave youngsters will be shown to be out of their depth and we will be cannon fodder with the ridicule of the nation pouring in on our barmy owner. We will have our customarily luck with injuries and lose key players for weeks at a time.  Protests and other actions are bound to follow and we will be relegated with a record low points tally. 

Now, putting that particular crystal ball in the bin, there is an alternative scenario that sees us bravely scrimp and save our way to a functional team that gets a bit of luck and the standard proves to be generally less than we fear in the championship. Bellend at the very least keeps a low profile and we get a new owner at some stage during the season. I prefer this scenario although I can’t myself see it happening. Ask me again at the end of next week. 
  • Options
    Blackburn will end up mid table ,will be a bench mark for us on Saturday 
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    PaddyP17 said:
    My vote has been cast in hope that we sign some vaguely competent players in the next few days.
    Feel the same, if not we are doomed.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    13th - 21st
    I reckon we will just have enough in our locker...with LB/JJ & Gallen at the helm to scrap together a team & enough points & to finish a couple of places above the dotted line,much to RD's annoyance...then he will sack the lot of them...☹️

Roland sell up you C%#t...!!!
  • Options
    Relegation
    unless we have some decent loan players in over the next week we will struggle to survive. 
  • Options
    Relegation
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:

So @cabblesposts an opinion based on the facts of what happened last season and you say it’s not based on reality and you post an opinion that can only be based on the fact like every other team in the championship charlton hasn’t signed even more players. The season hasn't actually started, there hasn’t been a competitive match yet, nobody knows how Charlton compare to the other 23 teams but we do know the players we have are actually pretty good but haven’t had a proper match to show it so far and there are 3 players in the squad who know where the goal is, possibly even 4 if wiredu maintains his scoring run. 
    Are they? We came a pretty clear third in the league below last season and have lost some of the key players that helped us achieve that position with either no replacement (so far) or lower league replacements. Experience was always going to be an issue for us and the new outfield signings that we have added to the squad since last season have a grand total of 2 Championship appearances between them. 

Of course I want us to succeed - I have a season ticket and am going on Saturday - I wouldn’t make that investment if I didn’t want Charlton to succeed with all my heart but thinking that we will survive because we did well in the league below last year, or because Bowyer will show “grit and determination” is either self delusion or ignorance of how strong the Championship is. 
  • Options
    Relegation
    I saw quite a lot of Ipswich Town last year and I have to say that, on paper, they had a much better squad and they only won five games all year and were effectively relegated by Christmas. That said, there was real turmoil there with the manager so having Bowyer will give us a chance.
  • Options
    Play offs
    MrLargo said:
    Barnsley, Birmingham, Blackburn, Luton, QPR, Reading, Scumwall, Wigan - these are the sides that we'll be fighting with to stay up.

Our budget is far smaller than all of them, and we've currently got a weaker side than last season. We've got 4 of them away and 1 at home before the end of September - hopefully some momentum from last season will help us pick up some points early on. 

The fixture list looks quite daunting from 28 September onwards - will Bowyer be able to lift the team again if we go on a run of defeats, or will we get stuck in a terminal decline.

One thing's for sure - as was the case with Powell when Jimenez ran out of cash, there will be people on here who point the finger at the manager for being tactically inept/inflexible, and completely ignore the fact that, thanks to Roland, we're busking outside Poundland whilst our relegation rivals are shopping in Aldi and everyone else is in Sainsburys and Waitrose. Hopefully the sensible majority will drown them out.

Not remotely optimistic. Would be nice if we can take some points off the scum and drag them down with us.
    Have all those clubs got stronger squads for this season compared to last season ? Seems to me that I keep seeing tweets and articles about how teams in the championship have been losing key players and not too many about how they’ve been reinvesting the money 
  • Options
    13th - 21st
    se9addick said:
    cabbles said:

As it stands, the squad is weaker than the one that went up last season, but I believe we'll be getting some bodies in, and over the course of the season, we will have enough.

It's up to people if they want to make their predictions based on the current squad now, or the squad we may have come May.  

It's going to be tough regardless, and there is little to choose between relegation and just staying up.  I believe in Bowyer and I believe in what's happened over the last year, I think this will see us over the line