Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Options

Bournemouth Addick said:
    It's an interesting one and at a more sane, sensibly ran football club, one where you'd be very happy to pick up one of Chelsea's best kids to supplement the squad. I worry though that at 19 our expectations need serious tempering as to the impact he can potentially make and that more generally we don't become over reliant on loanees.

his Chelsea mate, 20 year old Mason Mount (great name b t w) played 38 games for Derby last season and is now a possible to make the Chelsea starting bench .. any young man who can survive at Chelsea with all they have to choose from has just got to be 'good quality'
    Sorry but Mason had already had time abroad playing first team football. Conor is a very very good player but still very much an unknown quantity at first team level 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    If he is their Academy Player of the Year then he must have some quality about him.

Based on the way Bowyer described him, it sounds like he has a similar traits to a Scott Parker type player - tenacious all rounder. Let’s hope he adds something!
    Cullen replacement, will he he be an upgrade though? 
    He was good enough to make the bench in a Europa League final, have any of our other players done that? 
    Well best get Rob Green signed up 
    At one point he was England's no.1 so probably better than Amos still.
    So was Gordon Banks 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    If he is their Academy Player of the Year then he must have some quality about him.

Based on the way Bowyer described him, it sounds like he has a similar traits to a Scott Parker type player - tenacious all rounder. Let’s hope he adds something!
    Cullen replacement, will he he be an upgrade though? 
    He was good enough to make the bench in a Europa League final, have any of our other players done that? 
    Well best get Rob Green signed up 
    At one point he was England's no.1 so probably better than Amos still.
    So was Gordon Banks 
    Probably better than Amos still.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Sounds like a good signing.

One down, six to go.

Roland f**k off. #GetReal #GetOut
    Bowyer wanted five yesterday so I think it’ll be four to go.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Sounds like a good signing.

One down, six to go.

Roland f**k off. #GetReal #GetOut
    Bowyer wanted five yesterday so I think it’ll be four to go.
    6 if Dijksteel or Taylor leaves?
  • Options

Bournemouth Addick said:
    It's an interesting one and at a more sane, sensibly ran football club, one where you'd be very happy to pick up one of Chelsea's best kids to supplement the squad. I worry though that at 19 our expectations need serious tempering as to the impact he can potentially make and that more generally we don't become over reliant on loanees.

his Chelsea mate, 20 year old Mason Mount (great name b t w) played 38 games for Derby last season and is now a possible to make the Chelsea starting bench .. any young man who can survive at Chelsea with all they have to choose from has just got to be 'good quality'
    Sorry but Mason had already had time abroad playing first team football. Conor is a very very good player but still very much an unknown quantity at first team level 
    the point I was making was his tender age, not so much his experience .. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Hadn't heard of him until a few weeks ago but I'd not heard if Bielik either until he signed.

Welcome and good luck Connor.
  • Options
    We need to strengthen midfield for sure so hopefully he will do that and stay fit if he's any good.

Not a given with Charlton as we know.
  • Options
    Looking back at the last couple of Chelsea's academy of the year players, they have all had good seasons in the championship. 
  • Options
    I’m sure he will be quality, you don’t get academy player of the year at Chelsea for nothing. He will be protected by Pratley, Sarr, Pierce and co. Should do very well when Bowyer injects his aggression into him.

welcome 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Think we should remember he's never played senior football and is only 19.

This isn't quite the same as signing Cullen and Bielik last year, who had both played senior football and were coming to us to play in the 3rd division.

People will probably not agree with you, but I do get your point. I would say Gallagher is definitely more of a risk then say Cullen at least. I am sure there has been many highly rated 'wonderkids' or have gone out on loan and not performed or never reached their potential.

LB and SG are not going to get it right every time, however even with their current financial restraints, they seem to have a very clear idea and process of the sort of player they want, and the style they want to play - which I think can only be a good thing. 
    This is a good signing although these matters should be borne in mind : he is a 19 year old kid and not a seasoned pro , we are probably not paying a large part of his wages so that of itself should speak volumes about why he has joined , we are trusting a very promising but not experienced management team to make decisions about players in very trying circumstances imposed by financial constraints , he must play otherwise Chelsea will send him elsewhere , he will need experience around him to guide him through his first season in senior football which means that as matters stand Pratley and Pearce must also play , it is not known what levels of fitness he has but as a Chelsea kid he ought to be in good shape and it will take time for him to integrate . LB , JJ and SG would appear to have done a better job of selling us to him than Harris etc which also bodes well for other signings 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    I’m sure he will be quality, you don’t get academy player of the year at Chelsea for nothing. He will be protected by Pratley, Sarr, Pierce and co. Should do very well when Bowyer injects his aggression into him.

welcome 
    2015England Dominic Solanke
    2016England Fikayo Tomori
    2017England Mason Mount
    2018England Reece James
    2019England Conor Gallagher

Academy player of the year seems like a recently new thing for Chelsea. Everyone who has won it has had a solid season with a championship team apart from Solanke who went abroad.

So Gallagher is in good company.
    Was just googling this you beat me to it, the calibre of player there is massive and the previous four to Gallagher all went on loan at similar age some even younger, on that basis this is a brilliant signing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Whats not to like. Highly rated and I think Gallen has his handwriting all over this. Be very surprised if he isn’t a real gem. Not too many around who could be better tutors than Lee Bowyer for a young midfielder. Provided his attitude is right I think it’s a great signing.
  • Options
    Welcome Conor, may our time together be fruitful.
  • Options
    Gallagher lad scored the winner at the rusty toolbox. 

And after all, you’re shit millwall.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I messaged the Chelsea FM researcher who’s very knowledgeable of their youth sides and watches them regularly. Below is his view of Gallagher which sounds very positive for us. It’ll be interesting to see how Bowyer uses him, though that’ll depend on who we bring in (or not). On the weakness he’s picked out I’m sure that’s something Bowyer will help him deal with and improve on.

I really like him and was singing his praises for a while before he started to kick on and gain wider recognition. 

He used to be a wide player but has settled down into central areas (partially because he had injuries, but also because of his build and his attributes), and can play any sort of midfield role you want. Started out as a bit of a deep defensive type, breaking up play, getting stuck in physically, that sort of thing, but demonstrated that he has a lot more about him too. Good, purposeful passing (something I think separates tiers of talent at youth level; certain players knock it around to look pretty, then some like Con will hit it with a punch and a reason and makes sure it gets to where it needs to be), and he also has a really good engine. Over the last year he added goals to his game, a good finisher late around the box, good off free kicks, and is a credible box to box type now. 

Jody Morris was always a big fan, mostly due to his character and leadership, as you'd always get full commitment from him and he wouldn't bullshit his way through things. Leaned on him a lot and was rewarded. The biggest concern I have, and I think some of the academy staff shared, is that he's a little slow on the turn or in tight spaces if the play quickens around him, possibly because of his build. He has a couple of brothers in non league football who are older and share the same issue to a greater extent (hence why they're down there) but he's done well in challenging himself to improve there, and will continue to do so in the men's game. It's not a problem to have a flaw, it's about adjusting to it and making sure it doesn't expose your team, and he's a bright kid who gets it and wants to play at the top. 

I think he'll do well. Fireworks off the bat might not happen as he has no pro experience but he showed in pre-season that he has the traits to adapt and thrive, so over a 46-game season there's a good chance he'll become a big player for you. If nothing else, his mentality will win fans over very quickly.

I like this bit... If we did have a really bad season I dont want it to be watching a bunch of players who dont give a shit

That just makes the situation so much worse!!!
  • Options
    He reminds me a bit of Jimmy Bullard, creator, character, free kick taker, finisher, quick feet, ping a pass.

Looking forward to watching him play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I messaged the Chelsea FM researcher who’s very knowledgeable of their youth sides and watches them regularly. Below is his view of Gallagher which sounds very positive for us. It’ll be interesting to see how Bowyer uses him, though that’ll depend on who we bring in (or not). On the weakness he’s picked out I’m sure that’s something Bowyer will help him deal with and improve on.

I really like him and was singing his praises for a while before he started to kick on and gain wider recognition. 

He used to be a wide player but has settled down into central areas (partially because he had injuries, but also because of his build and his attributes), and can play any sort of midfield role you want. Started out as a bit of a deep defensive type, breaking up play, getting stuck in physically, that sort of thing, but demonstrated that he has a lot more about him too. Good, purposeful passing (something I think separates tiers of talent at youth level; certain players knock it around to look pretty, then some like Con will hit it with a punch and a reason and makes sure it gets to where it needs to be), and he also has a really good engine. Over the last year he added goals to his game, a good finisher late around the box, good off free kicks, and is a credible box to box type now. 

Jody Morris was always a big fan, mostly due to his character and leadership, as you'd always get full commitment from him and he wouldn't bullshit his way through things. Leaned on him a lot and was rewarded. The biggest concern I have, and I think some of the academy staff shared, is that he's a little slow on the turn or in tight spaces if the play quickens around him, possibly because of his build. He has a couple of brothers in non league football who are older and share the same issue to a greater extent (hence why they're down there) but he's done well in challenging himself to improve there, and will continue to do so in the men's game. It's not a problem to have a flaw, it's about adjusting to it and making sure it doesn't expose your team, and he's a bright kid who gets it and wants to play at the top. 

I think he'll do well. Fireworks off the bat might not happen as he has no pro experience but he showed in pre-season that he has the traits to adapt and thrive, so over a 46-game season there's a good chance he'll become a big player for you. If nothing else, his mentality will win fans over very quickly.

Nice write-up. Sounds a bit like a rich man's George Lapslie. The ability to play a wider role and get up and down the pitch should, in theory, make him ideal to play one side or the other of Bowyer's preferred diamond. Those players are asked to cover a lot of ground and do multiple jobs so you need players with stamina and versatility to play there.

From his youtube compilation, it looks like he's a decent free-kick taker too and we haven't really had a shooting threat from set-pieces since Holmes left so that is a bonus.
  • Options
    We all agree Connor Gallagher's magic.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Nice write-up. Sounds a bit like a rich man's George Lapslie. The ability to play a wider role and get up and down the pitch should, in theory, make him ideal to play one side or the other of Bowyer's preferred diamond. Those players are asked to cover a lot of ground and do multiple jobs so you need players with stamina and versatility to play there.

From his youtube compilation, it looks like he's a decent free-kick taker too and we haven't really had a shooting threat from set-pieces since Holmes left so that is a bonus.
    Are you comparing hairstyles? 
  • Options
    I should imagine the work Bow did last season with Cullen and Bielik helps ease a clubs decision to lend us their young stars.  Especially when they are returned with an extra zero or two attached to their value. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We all agree Connor Gallagher's magic.
    We all agree,
    Connor Gallagher is magic.
    He came from Chelsea,
    Down to the Valley,
    And we think he's fucking fantastic.

or
    And he's got your defence in a panic.

or
    And loves it cos our fans ain't plastic.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Valley11 said:

Think we should remember he's never played senior football and is only 19.

This isn't quite the same as signing Cullen and Bielik last year, who had both played senior football and were coming to us to play in the 3rd division.

People will probably not agree with you, but I do get your point. I would say Gallagher is definitely more of a risk then say Cullen at least. I am sure there has been many highly rated 'wonderkids' or have gone out on loan and not performed or never reached their potential.

LB and SG are not going to get it right every time, however even with their current financial restraints, they seem to have a very clear idea and process of the sort of player they want, and the style they want to play - which I think can only be a good thing. 
    @fi@FishCostaFortune yes that was my point.  
    What I’m saying is we should be patient with him and not expect Bielik.....yet
    I hope we get other midfielders in so responsibility doesn’t lay solely at his door.
    The Chelsea FM report is really encouraging.
    Good luck to him. 
  • Options
    and a big thanks to Magic Frank Lampard, Lee Bowyer's near contemporary as a player
  • Options
    Wasn’t he on your squad that won the U17 World Cup?
  • Options
    Wasn’t he on your squad that won the U17 World Cup?
    Not sure about on the squad but he was IN the squad.
  • Options
    Hope he does well.