Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Thomas Driesen Gone? - he popped in on p16, and back out on p26

Comments

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    I'm definitely interested in hearing what he has to say. Theres a tendency to blame him for all bad signings and give credit for any good signings to anyone else involved at the time. His connection to RD, as well as a general opposition by many to any statistic based analysis means he is on a hiding to nothing.
    Theres no doubt many of the players brought in during the early Roland years were poor, but how much of that is strictly because he chose bad players, how much of it was due to a lack of understanding of the standard of the Championship, and how much was due to restrictions on funding put in place by RD.
    There were definitely some decent players in his time, Igor had his difficulties with injuries but he was clearly talented. JBG is playing in the Premier League. Paddy Bauer scored one of the most important goals in recent Charlton history. I have no idea how much involvement he had in these signings or others, but potentially he could do a decent job identifying talent as part of a proper recruitment structure. He definitely shouldn't be given final say on signings, but if he had a role looking for under the radar players and passing on recommendations then that could work.
    I suspect hes probably due more credit than he has traditionally been given, but I also suspect he won't do himself any favours by speaking publicly cos he comes across as cocky prick who will try to give himself credit for any good signings and pass off any bad signings as someone elses fault.
    I think you just need to re-read that leaked email that RD sent to Powell where he mentions how his 'scouts' analysed the players and playing system and concluded that our current players were 'below average'.

In this email RD specifically refers to the 'scout who was heavily involved in this exercise' who essentially 'knows more than Powell' and made the decisions on which players we should sell (Kermogrant), and which players we should play (Thuram obviously). I am going to assume that Scout was Driesen, and I don't think he deserves any credit for any of that. 

Yeah the entire system was a disaster. From the outside looking in Driesen appears to have been given too much decision making power. Thats not entirely his fault, though it does highlight his overconfidence/cockiness. 
    That doesn't mean there weren't some interesting ideas that if implemented in a better system with more oversight by experienced football people who understand the championship and Charlton in particular couldn't have worked.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    I'm definitely interested in hearing what he has to say. Theres a tendency to blame him for all bad signings and give credit for any good signings to anyone else involved at the time. His connection to RD, as well as a general opposition by many to any statistic based analysis means he is on a hiding to nothing.
    Theres no doubt many of the players brought in during the early Roland years were poor, but how much of that is strictly because he chose bad players, how much of it was due to a lack of understanding of the standard of the Championship, and how much was due to restrictions on funding put in place by RD.
    There were definitely some decent players in his time, Igor had his difficulties with injuries but he was clearly talented. JBG is playing in the Premier League. Paddy Bauer scored one of the most important goals in recent Charlton history. I have no idea how much involvement he had in these signings or others, but potentially he could do a decent job identifying talent as part of a proper recruitment structure. He definitely shouldn't be given final say on signings, but if he had a role looking for under the radar players and passing on recommendations then that could work.
    I suspect hes probably due more credit than he has traditionally been given, but I also suspect he won't do himself any favours by speaking publicly cos he comes across as cocky prick who will try to give himself credit for any good signings and pass off any bad signings as someone elses fault.
    Prefer him not to have anything to do with us ever again. No matter what the role. 

Oh yeah, fuck him entirely. I wouldn't want anyone tied to Roland involved with the club. Just wanted to play devils advocate a little. Maybe he'll have success in a more limited role elsewhere in the future,
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    I think you just need to re-read that leaked email that RD sent to Powell where he mentions how his 'scouts' analysed the players and playing system and concluded that our current players were 'below average'.

In this email RD specifically refers to the 'scout who was heavily involved in this exercise' who essentially 'knows more than Powell' and made the decisions on which players we should sell (Kermogrant), and which players we should play (Thuram obviously). I am going to assume that Scout was Driesen, and I don't think he deserves any credit for any of that. 

Yeah the entire system was a disaster. From the outside looking in Driesen appears to have been given too much decision making power. Thats not entirely his fault, though it does highlight his overconfidence/cockiness. 
    That doesn't mean there weren't some interesting ideas that if implemented in a better system with more oversight by experienced football people who understand the championship and Charlton in particular couldn't have worked.
    That is just pure guesswork on your part.

Compare recruitment since Gallen took over!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:

That is just pure guesswork on your part.

Compare recruitment since Gallen took over!
    Your second sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. We immediately assume every good signing ever made is down to Gallen/Bowyer/anyone not connected to RD. Signings have been better since Gallen came in, I'm not denying that, but you and I have no real idea of how much input Driesen has had in that time. We only have snippets of information. Maybe since Gallen came in he has been able to better filter Driesens recommendations, or better direct them. Of course its guesswork, I'm not in the room with them, and neither are you so you don't know that hes had no positive input anymore than I know hes had only negative input.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    Prefer him not to have anything to do with us ever again. No matter what the role. 

Oh yeah, fuck him entirely. I wouldn't want anyone tied to Roland involved with the club. Just wanted to play devils advocate a little. Maybe he'll have success in a more limited role elsewhere in the future,
    Maybe but I doubt it. An arrogant shit who has been give min too much power and believes his own hype. 

Oh, I may have previously mentioned Tony Keohane in a similar way. Love you Tone. 
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:

Yes of course he’s welcome. 
    *Tommy* ........ Hey Tone did he want fries with his burger? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:

This 100%. That email tells you everything you need to know about Driesen assuming he was the scout of course.

Would love for Jimmy Stone to ask this to Driesen directly on Getting To Know The Network if he was indeed that scout along with a simple yes or no answer.
  • Options
    Apparently we came close to signing this Roy bloke, terrific write up in Dreisen's magazine, just couldn't contact the agent.

I recall every Saturday morning waiting for Roy of the Rovers to be delivered. Best comic ever and what a great feeling when it arrived! My favourite was Billy's boots but they were all fantastic.
    26p! Those were the days. Also remember reading Billy the fish in Viz when i got older
  • Options
    I’ve long felt the abuse and hate towards Tommy boy has been OTT. I’m not convinced how involved he was right at the beginning with the opening disasters, and equally I’m fairly sure he has had a positive influence in the excellent recruitment of the last two years.

The situation of Gallen & co having to filter their recommendations through him wasn’t ideal, but then again, it might not have been such a bad thing having an approval phase as independent and outside the inner camp. As said, it’s a process no one can argue from the outside hasn’t worked over the last two years. 

Im glad for everyone he’s gone though. 
  • Options
    @Chris_from_Sidcup the following.....

Gallagher was Chelsea's young player of the year, Leko was once nominated for the Golden Boy award and Bielik has been a strong prospect on Football manager for at least 2-3 years.

Sums my thoughts up entirely!!!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    @Chris_from_Sidcup the following.....

Gallagher was Chelsea's young player of the year, Leko was once nominated for the Golden Boy award and Bielik has been a strong prospect on Football manager for at least 2-3 years.

Sums my thoughts up entirely!!!
    Ha ha the Bielik bit was tongue in cheek!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently we came close to signing this Roy bloke, terrific write up in Dreisen's magazine, just couldn't contact the agent.

I recall every Saturday morning waiting for Roy of the Rovers to be delivered. Best comic ever and what a great feeling when it arrived! My favourite was Billy's boots but they were all fantastic.
    26p! Those were the days. Also remember reading Billy the fish in Viz when i got older
    Not a patch on Readers wives 
  • Options
    I’ve long felt the abuse and hate towards Tommy boy has been OTT. I’m not convinced how involved he was right at the beginning with the opening disasters, and equally I’m fairly sure he has had a positive influence in the excellent recruitment of the last two years.

The situation of Gallen & co having to filter their recommendations through him wasn’t ideal, but then again, it might not have been such a bad thing having an approval phase as independent and outside the inner camp. As said, it’s a process no one can argue from the outside hasn’t worked over the last two years. 

Im glad for everyone he’s gone though. 
    As I mentioned previously in this thread, the leaked emails here: https://gettingtoknowthenetwork.com/the-emails/, clearly show that Roland and thus player recruitment were heavily influenced by a scout who was 'heavily involved in analysing players and the playing system'.

It seems clear to me that this scout is Driesen, and was the one who choose which players we released and which players we brought in at the beginning of Roland's ownership. Player recruitment at this juncture was at its complete worse, and is what caused the opening disasters we experienced. 

I am of course basing this on what I have seen and read, and maybe there was actually someone else whose name I have not heard who had Roland's ear instead, and Driesen was just a small cog in that machine.

• Options
    He’s said to jimmy stone that he’ll appear on the final episode of “getting to know the network”. Claims he has “evidence of all the things people have lied about”.

Aren't we still waiting for Poyet's version of the truth?
  • Options
    Is there a single ‘Driesen supporter’?
  • Options
    @PragueAddick seems somewhat of a fan ;)
  • Options
    That girl that blogs always seemed to back him and compliment him.