Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dylan Levitt - Sold by Man U to Dundee United (p14)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know we will need a squad this season but he’s nowhere near playing regularly , especially with Gilbey returning imminently 
    He doesn't play in Levitt's position either
    Course he does, they are CM's. Might not be exactly the same sort of player but I don't understand how football suddenly has 15+ positions.  

Levitt plays in front of the back four... Same position Watson and Pratley. (Although Pratley also sometimes plays as a ball-winning CM). 

He's not competing with Gilbey, JFC, Morgan, Vennings, Shinnie, etc. for their starting spots. They play in central midfield. He plays behind them. We play a diamond remember? 

He can play behind the strikers but that seems like a rare role for him and LB hasn't shown any interest in that side of his game. 
    Well Levitt started yesterday, and we didn't play a diamond. In fact, we haven't much this season at all. 

Levitt is not a DM because he can't tackle, and I think that's one of his biggest problems. For me, his best position is probably as a deep lying playmaker in a 4231 as one of the two. But he's going to have to adapt and vary his game because the defensive side of his game isn't good enough, not for someone whose best position is supposedly in front of the back four. 

I struggle to understand how you say he's not competing with Gilbey, Shinnie etc but then say he can play behind the strikers. Surely any midfielder who can play DM and CAM can play CM? Like I said, I agree Levitt is a different type of player but I don't agree he isn't competing with those aswell as Pratley and Morgan for a place in the squad. Yes he would play a different role but it's like saying Pratley/Watson are in direct competition but will never play together, because that's been proven wrong. 
    We've played the diamond nearly every league game. 

Even yesterday we had Levitt behind JFC and Morgan. That's how LB shapes his midfield. 

I don't think you read my last paragraph but I will repeat it again, that advanced role is a rare one for him, and LB hasn't shown any interest in playing him there. So, no, he is not competing with Shinnie. 

And when LB has only ever played him in that Watson slot, and when he only ever really played that same position for Utd, then why is he suddenly competing for another position? 
    Of course I did. And I will repeat my question, how comes he can play DM and CAM (even if Bowyer "hasn't shown any interest in playing him there") but not CM? Also, how do you know he can play AM, you yourself said both us and Utd have only ever played him further back? I can't imagine a player like him playing just off the striker(s). 

I can see your point, but I disagree with it. I appreciate he has so far played in front of the back 4, but Levitt is a central midfield player. Whether he is slightly defensive, a deep lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder, he is a central midfielder. I am not saying he is the same type player as Shinnie, but I see all of our CMs fighting for places. I simply don't see it as he is only fighting Pratley or Watson for a place in the team. 

Don't think you've watched many games if you think we've played the diamond nearly every league game. 
    I've watched every game. What formation do you think we've played most regularly, out of interest?

It sounds like your argument is semantics? 'Central midfield' encompassing a deep lying playmaker and even a DM infront of the back four is still a central midfielder? I mean I don't really have an interest in arguing over 'the definition of a CM' because that will get really tedious. If you want to define it widely that's up to you. Levitt plays deep. I'm sure we can agree on that. 

I'm not gonna agree that all midfielders are fighting for the same positions because they're just not. Shinnie isn't fighting for Watson's role. Williams isn't fighting for Pratley's. Different players have different roles. We will just have to agree to disagree there. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know we will need a squad this season but he’s nowhere near playing regularly , especially with Gilbey returning imminently 
    Course he does, they are CM's. Might not be exactly the same sort of player but I don't understand how football suddenly has 15+ positions.  

Levitt plays in front of the back four... Same position Watson and Pratley. (Although Pratley also sometimes plays as a ball-winning CM). 

He's not competing with Gilbey, JFC, Morgan, Vennings, Shinnie, etc. for their starting spots. They play in central midfield. He plays behind them. We play a diamond remember? 

He can play behind the strikers but that seems like a rare role for him and LB hasn't shown any interest in that side of his game. 
    Well Levitt started yesterday, and we didn't play a diamond. In fact, we haven't much this season at all. 

Levitt is not a DM because he can't tackle, and I think that's one of his biggest problems. For me, his best position is probably as a deep lying playmaker in a 4231 as one of the two. But he's going to have to adapt and vary his game because the defensive side of his game isn't good enough, not for someone whose best position is supposedly in front of the back four. 

I struggle to understand how you say he's not competing with Gilbey, Shinnie etc but then say he can play behind the strikers. Surely any midfielder who can play DM and CAM can play CM? Like I said, I agree Levitt is a different type of player but I don't agree he isn't competing with those aswell as Pratley and Morgan for a place in the squad. Yes he would play a different role but it's like saying Pratley/Watson are in direct competition but will never play together, because that's been proven wrong. 

Even yesterday we had Levitt behind JFC and Morgan. That's how LB shapes his midfield. 

I don't think you read my last paragraph but I will repeat it again, that advanced role is a rare one for him, and LB hasn't shown any interest in playing him there. So, no, he is not competing with Shinnie. 

And when LB has only ever played him in that Watson slot, and when he only ever really played that same position for Utd, then why is he suddenly competing for another position? 
    Of course I did. And I will repeat my question, how comes he can play DM and CAM (even if Bowyer "hasn't shown any interest in playing him there") but not CM? Also, how do you know he can play AM, you yourself said both us and Utd have only ever played him further back? I can't imagine a player like him playing just off the striker(s). 

I can see your point, but I disagree with it. I appreciate he has so far played in front of the back 4, but Levitt is a central midfield player. Whether he is slightly defensive, a deep lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder, he is a central midfielder. I am not saying he is the same type player as Shinnie, but I see all of our CMs fighting for places. I simply don't see it as he is only fighting Pratley or Watson for a place in the team. 

Don't think you've watched many games if you think we've played the diamond nearly every league game. 
    I've watched every game. What formation do you think we've played most regularly, out of interest?

It sounds like your argument is semantics? 'Central midfield' encompassing a deep lying playmaker and even a DM infront of the back four is still a central midfielder? I mean I don't really have an interest in arguing over 'the definition of a CM' because that will get really tedious. If you want to define it widely that's up to you. Levitt plays deep. I'm sure we can agree on that. 

I'm not gonna agree that all midfielders are fighting for the same positions because they're just not. Shinnie isn't fighting for Watson's role. Williams isn't fighting for Pratley's. Different players have different roles. We will just have to agree to disagree there. 
    We'll agree to disagree then. I'm not saying every CM is fighting for each other's position. I'm just not of the opinion that it has to be either Pratley/Watson/Levitt, then two of Gilbey, Shinnie, Morgan and JFC, then one of Williams/Maddison. I'd like to see more variety than that. For me Levitt is a CM, yes he seems to prefer it deep, but he will need to show more than that, both for us and in his career. If you disagree with that viewpoint, that's cool. 

As for the formation, we've played loads of different formations this season. I didn't watch the first few but I don't think we've started with the diamond in the last 6 games have we? I'm not including Portsmouth because I think Pratley started CB in a 5 although we did play it for a chunk of the game. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:

Not this season we haven't. Only played it twice so far - Wigan at home and Portsmouth away.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:

Not this season we haven't. Only played it twice so far - Wigan at home and Portsmouth away.
    Agreed, and even against Pompey it wasn't a diamond throughout as Pratley spent a chunk of it at CB in a 5. 
  • Great post Fortune 82nd Minute.
  • edited November 2020
    Funny because it’s true. A young player like Levitt is Karl Robinson’s wet dream.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Vennings and Morgan don't play in the same position. How many times... ?

Don't think people realise how well regarded Levitt is at United. He is always going to struggle with our fans because he's a clever passer and not a 'Charlton style', dynamic, smashing-around-the-pitch player that usually gets people onside.  

Have we ever had a deep lying playmaker? I don't think people know what it looks like. 

Eventually the table is going to split into front runners and relegation teams. Then we're going to be facing brick walls where opponents have 11 men behind the ball. You don't need a Pratley or a Watson in games like those, you need a Levitt who can cut through the lines with a pass. 

LB said when he joined people would have to be patient with him. He's 18 and it's his first loan. But it's funny he's being singled out for grief when after a poor first 25 he was good for the rest of the game and spread the ball around well and broke their lines with some sharp passes.

But honestly it's gonna be hopeless for him here. It would probably be good for him and Utd if he goes somewhere else in January. He should've gone to a club with less of an industrious football culture. 

What a massive over reaction. Just because he had a poor game doesn’t mean people think his career at Charlton is over. This post does not harm than good. ‘It would be good for him and Utd if he goes somewhere else in January’  Oh the irony.
  • loads of Man Utd youngsters end up playing lower league football or being released - please don’t see his club as a sign of him being a star for us
    And loads more ... that would be loads more ... end up being quite good.  We could compare lists.

I see it as a sign that he might be a star for us. 
  • I think the reality is that Levitt was signed when we were under an embargo, and desperate for bodies, and Man U presumably expected him to get regular football.

However once the embargo was lifted, we went out and signed Watson and Shinnie, 2 experienced midfielders, who DO cover most of what Levitt does and pushed him further down the pecking order. I've been super impressed with Shinnie, his creativity and vision in open play, and his brilliant dead balls. Plus we have a resurgent Morgan, and the experience of Pratley and JFC.

The reality is that Levitt will only play if other midfielders are injured. Will Man U be happy, probably not. Just as last season we loaned Maloney to Newport and Wiredu to Colchester, and recalled them both in January as they weren't getting enough games, I imagine they'll do the same.

Can see the same.

From United's side if you loan a player to a club 2 divisions below there's probably a degree of expectation that he will play. If between now and January he doesn't feature much (and i don't expect he will), then it's likely they'll recall him as the loan is a waste.

And from our side, if there was no wage cap then keeping him wouldn't be an issue, but in the current circumstances, and with us well stocked in midfield, i can see Bowyer/Gallen thinking the wages might be better used on a striker.
  • edited November 2020
    There's always a weird aspect to this board where people don't seem to have any concept of form. It seems that when players have bad games they're 'not good enough' unless they've painstakingly earned the right to have an off day over months and months. Levitt is young, he's adapting to his first time playing in League One with a new team, and he's not started brilliantly. It doesn't mean he's not good enough, it means he has to adapt. There's obviously a player in there, so hopefully he settles soon. In the mean time writing him off this early into his time at the club is just insane
    For as long as I can remember, starting long before the world wide web was something any of us even had a concept of, a certain section of our fan base always seems to need to have a player they can dig out and get on top of at every opportunity. This has always seemed to be the case, regardless of how well or badly the team is doing overall. It’s not a mentality I can really get my head around and I’ve never ever ever understood how fans think rinsing out a player week after week, especially a young one, is going to help them improve and, therefore, by extension help the team win. This year it looks like Levitt seems to be the target. 

But let's be honest, he's done very little at Charlton so far. In the games he's started at West Ham and Lincoln he was unnoticeable; he was absolutely abject against Sunderland; and little better against Northampton (where Bowyer took him off after only 45 minutes). 

Let's not rewrite history now, he was the CL Statbank Man of the Match against Lincoln. His passing was unreal that day. 
  • I am willing to give the kid a chance. It’s tough to be in a new city at a young age.I saw some glimpses in the Lincoln game. 
  • He will have plenty more opportunities to impress as the season progresses. We need all of the squad to get over us over the line this season. 

I think it’s unfair to expect every player to hit the ground running once they move clubs. I’m more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as SG and LB must have thought him a good prospect.
  • I think the reality is that Levitt was signed when we were under an embargo, and desperate for bodies, and Man U presumably expected him to get regular football.

However once the embargo was lifted, we went out and signed Watson and Shinnie, 2 experienced midfielders, who DO cover most of what Levitt does and pushed him further down the pecking order. I've been super impressed with Shinnie, his creativity and vision in open play, and his brilliant dead balls. Plus we have a resurgent Morgan, and the experience of Pratley and JFC.

The reality is that Levitt will only play if other midfielders are injured. Will Man U be happy, probably not. Just as last season we loaned Maloney to Newport and Wiredu to Colchester, and recalled them both in January as they weren't getting enough games, I imagine they'll do the same.

Can see the same.

From United's side if you loan a player to a club 2 divisions below there's probably a degree of expectation that he will play. If between now and January he doesn't feature much (and i don't expect he will), then it's likely they'll recall him as the loan is a waste.

And from our side, if there was no wage cap then keeping him wouldn't be an issue, but in the current circumstances, and with us well stocked in midfield, i can see Bowyer/Gallen thinking the wages might be better used on a striker.
    Surely being U21 Levitt's wage doesn't count towards the salary cap anyway?
  • Sponsored links:

Agree but I'd add that maybe Man U and us are aware of all his weaknesses and that is precisely why he's here.

They want him to grow as a player, learn other sides of the game, mix it in men's football away from his home.

So far he's not impressing in the way Gallagher or Maatsen did/have but he's perhaps at a different stage of his development.
    Agree but I'd add that maybe Man U and us are aware of all his weaknesses and that is precisely why he's here.

They want him to grow as a player, learn other sides of the game, mix it in men's football away from his home.

So far he's not impressing in the way Gallagher or Maatsen did/have but he's perhaps at a different stage of his development.
    I'm sure they do and we've always been a place where young players can come and do that. At the same time we are also going for promotion. I'm all for progressing young players, but ours should take priority. 
  • edited November 2020
    Just my observation on Levitt - he doesn't look 'on his toes' enough at the moment. Like if the ball's knocked passed him he'll take a second to realise he should be busting a gut to get it (I wouldn't say he then proceeds to do that but does pick up the pace). He stands out compared to the rest because of it I feel. 
  • edited November 2020
    Talal said:
    Just my observation on Levitt - he doesn't look 'on his toes' enough at the moment. Like if the ball's knocked passed him he'll take a second to realise he should be busting a gut to get it (I wouldn't say he then proceeds to do that but does pick up the pace). He stands out compared to the rest because of it I feel. 
    I definitely would agree that's his weakness at the moment. At times I watch him and he's a bit languid, like it's an U23 game. He hasn't quite got into the pace of the league yet. 
  • Shame he wont be involved tomorrow

Can see the same.

Surely being U21 Levitt's wage doesn't count towards the salary cap anyway?
    Ah yes, a very good point!
  • edited November 2020
    Talal said:
    Similar to Sam Field early last season. Some players just need a run of games to get up to speed and then it just clicks for them (literally in Field's unfortunate case). 
  • I dare say that if Bowyer wants to play a possession game and also get the ball to our forwards with a big more regularity, Tuesday's game will have been quite a good thing for Levitt's prospects of another appearance. Not that I'm kneejerking; I've always said it ;)
  • Leuth said:
    I dare say that if Bowyer wants to play a possession game and also get the ball to our forwards with a big more regularity, Tuesday's game will have been quite a good thing for Levitt's prospects of another appearance. Not that I'm kneejerking; I've always said it ;)
    Yep.  DL's a much more valuable contributor than Melt Muppet Maddison - I reckon if well he'll be back in the lineup