Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Spurs should stay in the premier league, it would increase their chances of success 
  • Spurs should stay in the premier league, it would increase their chances of success 
    Only by a small fraction
  • edited October 2020
    sam3110 said:
    What teams would make up the original 18? A few historically big names will miss out

Man United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

PSG
    Lyon
    Marseille
    Monaco

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Athletico Madrid
    Valencia
    Sevilla

Juventus
    Inter
    AC Milan
    Napoli
    Roma
    Lazio

Bayern Munich
    Dortmund
    Leverkusen
    RB Leipzig

That's 25 teams, some like Leipzig aren't historically big but would want a slice of the pie now, others like Valencia and Monaco aren't big names per se right now but have history (Valencia being a part of the G-14) and this isn't including teams like the Portugal big 3, Ajax and PSV and other such teams.

I like the irony of "we want to save the smaller teams in the football league" message of the Big Picture horseshit, and as soon as that's kicked to the curb they just fuck off and decide to reignite the Europe wide Super League setup instead, absolute scumbags
    Porto?
    Benfica?
    Ajax?
    Celtic?

Huge clubs and all former Champions of Europe.

Four from France?? No French side has ever won the European Cup/Champions League.

There are 20 teams that have won the biggest European prize - maybe that's a good place to start. Aston Villa and Forest to start with - sorry Spurs/Arsenal/Man City/Everton.
  • bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    What teams would make up the original 18? A few historically big names will miss out

Man United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

PSG
    Lyon
    Marseille
    Monaco

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Athletico Madrid
    Valencia
    Sevilla

Juventus
    Inter
    AC Milan
    Napoli
    Roma
    Lazio

Bayern Munich
    Dortmund
    Leverkusen
    RB Leipzig

That's 25 teams, some like Leipzig aren't historically big but would want a slice of the pie now, others like Valencia and Monaco aren't big names per se right now but have history (Valencia being a part of the G-14) and this isn't including teams like the Portugal big 3, Ajax and PSV and other such teams.

I like the irony of "we want to save the smaller teams in the football league" message of the Big Picture horseshit, and as soon as that's kicked to the curb they just fuck off and decide to reignite the Europe wide Super League setup instead, absolute scumbags
    Porto?
    Benfica?
    Ajax?
    Celtic?

And would they really want a European super league, with teams from just 5 countries? That's a massive chunk of Europe excluded, unlike with the "proper" UEFA competitions where Ajax can reach the semi finals of the CL despite having bugger all TV money
  • Interesting when you consider the top 18-sides in the UEFA Coefficient rankings

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2020
  • bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:

Man United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

PSG
    Lyon
    Marseille
    Monaco

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Athletico Madrid
    Valencia
    Sevilla

Juventus
    Inter
    AC Milan
    Napoli
    Roma
    Lazio

Bayern Munich
    Dortmund
    Leverkusen
    RB Leipzig

Porto?
    Benfica?
    Ajax?
    Celtic?

Four from France?? No French side has ever won the European Cup/Champions League.

There are 20 teams that have won the biggest European prize - maybe that's a good place to start. Aston Villa and Forest to start with - sorry Spurs/Arsenal/Man City/Everton.
    Marseille won it. But obviously they won't be part of this.
  • So would this be a proper league where each team played each other home and away ? How would they fit that around the domestic leagues or will it be a knockout competition like The Champions League ?
  • FIFA come up with some shit but I think this might just top it.

Disgraceful idea and the proper supporters of these sides won’t be keen at all. 

Nothing wrong with the Champions League as it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• "the possibility of outright club defections from domestic leagues was not on the new tournament's "short-term agenda".

I don't see how teams can stay in their domestic leagues but also play in a European league. The Premier league isn't going to reduce numbers in the near future so that's a 38 game season plus a 34 game season for the European league.

Plus domestic cups (if the English teams bother) will see them potentially having 80 game seasons. There aren't enough spare matchdays to play them all.

Unless of course there's so much money in this European league that the big 6 clubs have 35 player super-squads and send one squad to Madrid for a Tuesday night game whilst the other half of the squad prepare for Burnley at home on a Wednesday night.

It'll become unwatchable once the novelty wears off. After a couple of years people won't be interested as much when we see the same European fixtures week in week out. Also one thing the big clubs haven't thought of (not that they will care), is that they're all used to success or at least being near the top. But in an 18 team European league how will these clubs cope if they're down the bottom?

What will happen when Man U finish bottom of the league? Will owners, fans and players accept this?
  • FIFA come up with some shit but I think this might just top it.

Disgraceful idea and the proper supporters of these sides won’t be keen at all. 

Nothing wrong with the Champions League as it is.
    Isnt there? - There is plenty wrong with the Champions League as it is
    As a spectacle there isn’t. Provided some ridiculous entertainment the past few seasons.
  • They'll be begging to come back in a few years when the fans have deserted them for FC United and Tranmere
  • So would this be a proper league where each team played each other home and away ? How would they fit that around the domestic leagues or will it be a knockout competition like The Champions League ?
    You're assuming they use the same team for both tournaments. I'm sure the Liverpool that play in domestic competitions would quickly become Liverpool B.
  • Cool, hope it goes so well that they fuck off for good. 
  • Good.
    They can fuck off.
    And don't come back.
    When the virus subsides, away games will be quick cheap and easy for their wealthy fans.
  • Can't they take Crystal Palace with them...please?
  • I've got no problems with it so long as any English teams onvolved stay in the Premier League & play at the weekends as has been the case for over 100 years. 

Only problem I see is which 5 English teams will feature first up. I can see it being Liverpool, Man U, Man City & Chelsea. Then a bun fight between the 2 N London clubs. 

But I reckon it won't happen. UEFA will tweak the CL & Europa leagues.....maybe merging them together perhaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    "some like Leipzig aren't historically big"

Er, well no, seeing as they haven't got any history. They were only founded in 2009. If they seriously are one of the candidate clubs, that's a measure of the obscenity of this idea. Of course you could say much the same for PSG (formed in 1970). And, in another sense, Manchester City (perenially shite until they were bought by a foreign State).
  • I've got no problems with it so long as any English teams onvolved stay in the Premier League & play at the weekends as has been the case for over 100 years. 

Only problem I see is which 5 English teams will feature first up. I can see it being Liverpool, Man U, Man City & Chelsea. Then a bun fight between the 2 N London clubs. 

But I reckon it won't happen. UEFA will tweak the CL & Europa leagues.....maybe merging them together perhaps.
    No way - they can't have their cake and eat it.

No, let them eff off into their fantasy football league where they play in half empty stadiums because fans have of tired of it (and it's too expensive for away fans to get to the games). Not that the owners will give a monkeys as long as they have TV deals with Asia in place.

And a league without relegation will mean loads of completely pointless games.

• Just tell them that is great but say they will forfeit their right to domestic football.
  • Looking on reddit it doesn't seem like even Man Utd and Liverpool fans are up for this. Putting it down to owner greed and calling it the death of the game. 
  • "some like Leipzig aren't historically big"

Er, well no, seeing as they haven't got any history. They were only founded in 2009. If they seriously are one of the candidate clubs, that's a measure of the obscenity of this idea. Of course you could say much the same for PSG (formed in 1970). And, in another sense, Manchester City (perenially shite until they were bought by a foreign State).
    But this is what I'm getting at in my post, those clubs mentioned are backed by Red Bull, one of the most profitable companies around, and the other two are backed by oil rich Middle Eastern royalty with access to seemingly limitless funds. They are in a more powerful position than clubs that have won in the past but aren't as good now, but again historically big clubs will have a say as they are still influential in the football world. There isn't enough room for all of them, so it'll be interesting to see who makes the initial list
  • seth plum said:
    If they have the cheek to say they want to remain in their domestic leagues, no way on earth should fixtures be adjusted because they have had a European Fixture.
    It's worse than that.
    They will wants premier league reduced to about 12 clubs. 
    Can't have the precious darlings  getting match fatigue  can we.

Wankers