Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Good luck mate, you certainly sound positive enough and Thomas seems genuinely excited. Great to have such positivity in such a negative climate. Onwards and upwards 
  • More I think about this, the more I like it.

A bit of positivity and dare I say, niceness can go a long way in life.

Just one thing, can we call him something other than Nigel!

• Good appointment.
  • edited March 2021
    What a great positive and enthusiastic interview, came over as a person of vision and I have every confidence he will produce, given the time and backing, welcome Nigel
  • Not for me. Would have preferred Jacko as the no.1.

Can I have £1 for every time he says "we are gonna work hard"?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    Is that the Roddy who worked and Reading in 2018 and the Adkins that left in 2014?  Or a different pair? 
    Yep - fair enough - that’s my mistake.

But sorry, there has to be a link somewhere because someone two years out of the game and three failures in a row behind them doesn’t just get appointed 48 hours after the last manager walks.

This didn’t just happen this week.
    The way him and Olly kept saying this has been a whirlwind week and happened quickly, makes it sound like not as pre-planned as you think. 
    Yeah it sounded like he was on Sandgaard's list but maybe only contacted this week. 
    I'm not so sure. Olly says about it being a whirlwind week, Adkins agrees it's been a whirlwind but doesn't actually say when he spoke to Sandgaard. I still suspect initial contact was made earlier than this week. Probably only finalised once Bow resigned.
  • Just what the players need IMO.  I was very neg when I first heard he might be coming to CAFC but like others looked at a few interviews and read a little more about him.  Overwhelmingly it is that he seems to manage through positive reinforcement - he used the phrase "mistakes are what you learn from" and that rather than an environment of blame and fear  will make for a good team.  And that JJ is staying too will give him some crucial insight.
  • Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    Sad to see you feel this way. I look forward to NA proving you wrong. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I am happy with this. I thought JJ was key for this season and this way we have secured that. Maybe there is a pathway for JJ too a bit like the way Liverpool used to do it. He is still young and whilst I am sure he would want to be a manager, the experience he is gaining could really set him up.

If you get the manager's job and fail first time, that is quite often it. This probably suits all parties and we need to see Adkins do what he did with Southampton. Which was impressive,
  • JJ staying is the most important part of this in my opinion. 
    I’m excited. 
  • As mentioned was not excited on NA but its irrelevant and has my full support and I am on board and hope shortly I will be admitting how wrong I was.  Very happy JJ is staying as well. 

What I do like is that TS has given his reason behind the appointment and although not my choice you can see a clear method and strategy behind it. That is very pleasing and encouraging.  

I am looking forward to the run in and the summer window and look forward to Nigel being our manager hopefully for a long time. 

• Well, being called Nigel is a major problem, how the f*** are we going to sing his name. 

I remember the utter injustice of his sacking at Southampton, it felt very wrong after what he had achieved, I almost hate the premier league for the fact it proved to be utterly the right decision in the end :)

I think there is a real synergy between TS and NA, which is vital, in terms of money to spend and reasoning behind that spend. 

He seems competent, capable and articulate.

His language talks to a deep understanding of personalised man management, talking around purpose and privilege.

He seems well versed in motivational, holistic management theory.

If he can really, deeply find that mojo and fall in love with Charlton, in the same way he fell in love with Southampton (watch the 5 years on vid) then there is a chance that we have a winner. 

Welcome Nigel, I don't know why but your personality makes me slightly uneasy, but you have my 100% support, go and get the points and get us up.  

• Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Very few managers don't have a 'failure' on their CV.

All the best NA & JJ.

Especially at our level.
  • Seems very articulate. Think he will be a good appointment.

10 games left anything can happen. If he gets us in the Playoffs that would be a massive achievemnt.
  • Leuth said:
    Perfect. A lovely and thoughtful man whom I'll defend to the death on Charlton Life :)

What, even if he drops Maatsen?

But, after initial reservations, like many, now pleased with the appointment, especially with JJ staying.
  • Its crazy how fast things change. A year ago we had the Bowyer and Southall press conference (I remember bowyers suit) and now its completly different combo Adkins and Sandgaard. Very happy with the appointment, let's not write this season of just yet.
  • edited March 2021
    Echoing what I said on the who/what next.

Came around to the idea of appointing him, seems to have the right outlook and mentality to build something, a footballing set up and philosophy that Sandgaard wants. Adkins, Roddy, Gallen, a clear idea and remit to work with backed by Sandgaard. I'd say aim for the Saints model and start a new journey.

JJ hanging on is a massive plus as well.

Welcome Nige, good luck and now let's build something.

• Well, he wouldn’t have been my choice but I’ll be delighted if he succeeds. 100% support .... COYA
  • Pleased that Jacko is staying on

I've always thought that our coaching team in recent years has been a bit light. Under Roland and ESI finances probably weren't there for an extra coach, but a team of Bowyer and Jacko was light on experience, and they probably needed a wise old head when things started going wrong last season. They've promoted Basey to more of an active role, but he's inexperienced as well

Going forward I can see Adkins bringing in someone else alongside Jacko, maybe one will be coach and one assistant (which were the roles of Day and Peacock under Curbs in the Premier League)