Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• iaitch said:
    Which Matt Smith do we want next year?
    None of them.
    All of them, so that we can morph them into one super Championship-level Matt Smith like in Power Rangers
    I'm Matt Smith, no I'm Matt Smith, no I'm Matt Smith.
  • How many games did aneke miss through injury? He had covid and missed a couple through minor injuries. I think it’s in his head.
  • Would like to see us get Liam Kinsella, won player of the year this season. Hopefully it would be like father, like son transfer.
  • Awaits the inivitable, irritable plea of:

"Any actual rumours?". 😂

Pretty sure G, R, A & S already have their wants list, doubt much will be announced in terms of incoming players until after the play offs are over and all the players have had two weeks holiday in Clacton.

That doesn't mean that nothing is happening. Just that we can't see it happening.

Patience is a virtue
    Yup - I get sucked in every 6 months.  Frantically trying to find a rumour in amongst everyone's wish list.  Maybe we should have a separate "Dear Santa" thread for every post that starts 'I think we should be looking at....'
  • For someone with time on their hands who was each League 1 club’s player of the year? That would be a good starting point.

How many are out of contract?

Bonus points for doing the same for POTY 2nd, 3rd and then for League 2.
  • Scoham said:
    For someone with time on their hands who was each League 1 club’s player of the year? That would be a good starting point.

How many are out of contract?

Bonus points for doing the same for POTY 2nd, 3rd and then for League 2.
    Also the L1 and L2 teams of the season would be a good addition too even if none are out of contract.
  • edited May 2021
    Good shout, they’ve already been named.

Won’t be many in the L1 team in our reach, maybe Grant and Atkinson depending on who wins the playoffs.

On L2 you can rule out older players like Hoolahan.

• We obviously have a lot of contracts expiring. If we really are pushing for promotion, we should release Deji, Watson, and Pratley. 

I can see new deals being offered to Amos, Matthews, and Maynard-Brewer. And as mentioned in this thread to JFC as well because of his injury situation.

Not sure about Chuks and Pearce (maybe as a 4th choice CB?). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Won’t be many in the L1 team in our reach, maybe Grant and Atkinson depending on who wins the playoffs.

I still can't believe Wilks isn't in it. The league 1 one is all very good players but like you say most aren't realistic.

League 2 is a right mixed bag, including the Manchester Messi, some old men (older than our old men) and Mullin who has never even hinted at this seasons form before. 
  • J BLOCK said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR - we need a whole new team if we want to go up automatics next season. 80% aren’t  good enough.
    We missed the play offs on goal difference despite being managed by someone who had, as you said "lost the plot" for 4 months.

How does that equate to 80% not being good enough and needing a whole team? 

Hand on heart the only team I have seen with "better players" than us, as a whole team, were probably Peterborough and they had been playing like that for a whole season, in a squad designed to play like that.

Hull certainly aren't a team that are all better than our players.  A few yes, 80% no where near. 
    This league is absolutely pony, if you don’t think we need a total clear out, you will be in for a rude awakening next season. 
    About 2 points a game, since the start of March suggests we aren't absolutely pony though.  Unless you now think we had no decent players and Bowyer performed a miracle to keep us that close?

Also what I think about it won't actually influence what happens, so no I won't be in for a rude awakening either way. 
    Name me 5 FIRST TEAM players we should keep that will win us the league. 
    Amos ..Inniss Famewo Gilbey JFC Watson Matthews DJ Washington Ronnie S Morgan 
    Bananas if you think all of these players are good enough to be first choice and win the league. 
  • Mullin is out of contract and might be worth a gamble. But as is obvious looking at his record this is the first season he's ever scored a good amount of goals. Even Tranmere didn't want him a year ago.

He could be a one season wonder like Ajose, or he could be the sort of striker Peterborough sign and everyone else wishes they'd taken the gamble instead. 
  • Scoham said:

League 1 sub: Aneke. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Pains me to say it, but I'm in the Chuks out camp I think.
    It's hard because he has scored a fair few goals, but his fitness woes  add to not being able to play a decent settled side.
    Nothing I've heard would suggest Chuks will ever be fit for long spells, and we can't afford that.
    Yup.  Let's not be distracted by his goals-per-minutes return this season. 

He is historically a 1-in-4 man at League 1 level.  And he will always get injuries.  He is not an athlete.

If we pin our promotion hopes on the likes of Aneke ... well, we will not get promoted.
    Hard for any of us to assess Chuks because as far as I know none of us know what is stopping him becoming fully fit. Perhaps, given his impact when he does play he can be viewed as a luxury and used solely as he was this season as an impact sub until he can get over his problems. View him as a super sub and nothing more for the time being. He’s certainly very impactful off the bench. 
  • Sage said:
    We missed out on play-offs on goal difference and this included a horrible, horrible run of form mid season and a disastrous home form. For some to say the vast majority are not good enough to get promoted from this league is very harsh and I believe to be incorrect.

There will be a relatively big turnover of players and the squad will be younger than it has been this season. Likely to have more attacking players and a couple more wingers than loaded by centre midfielders.

I hope Amos, Matthews, Forster-Caskey, and Aneke all get new contracts. I would like to see at least one of Pearce or Pratley stay too. Their contribution to the club and the younger players are invaluable. They don’t have to feature much and can be squad players, but their experience and professionalism cannot be measured in what should be a promotion winning campaign next season.

There is a plan in place with Aneke and he is not going to find better treatment elsewhere. He got what 16 goals for us this season? Starting only 11 games and completing 90 minutes on one occasion, he scored twice in that game. Yes he might not have been able to play loss of minutes but he missed a total of 7 league games all season. That included Chuks getting Covid, suspensions and injury. Now with a plan in place and the first time we won’t have a crazy pre-season and this type of medical department with Adkins’ knowledge too, everything points to being able to feature more, meaning more impact, meaning more goals.

Watson will be here next season, he’s activated that clause in his contract.

We can say thanks and good luck to Oshilaja, Oztumer, Maddison, Dempsey, and regrettably Shinnie - I believe he would’ve been kept on under a different manager. Good player but probably doesn’t fit into how Adkins will play.

We will need at least:
    1 goalkeeper to allow Maynard-Brewer to get a league loan
    2 centre backs, possibly 3
    1 left back
    2 wingers, possibly 3
    3 central midfielders
    Possibly 2 strikers, one being Stockley.

That’s a lot of work to be done, a hell of a lot. But, with the right planning and the right approach, it can be done and be very exciting.

Thanks @sage

Excellent, informed analysis as always

11 to 13 signings based on what you say. assuming Stockley stays that is 10 to 12 new players to find.

I would also factor in how Adkins views the U23s like Henry and Barker (still U18s in the season just gone), Vennings Wassim, etc. 
  • Sage said:
    We missed out on play-offs on goal difference and this included a horrible, horrible run of form mid season and a disastrous home form. For some to say the vast majority are not good enough to get promoted from this league is very harsh and I believe to be incorrect.

There will be a relatively big turnover of players and the squad will be younger than it has been this season. Likely to have more attacking players and a couple more wingers than loaded by centre midfielders.

I hope Amos, Matthews, Forster-Caskey, and Aneke all get new contracts. I would like to see at least one of Pearce or Pratley stay too. Their contribution to the club and the younger players are invaluable. They don’t have to feature much and can be squad players, but their experience and professionalism cannot be measured in what should be a promotion winning campaign next season.

There is a plan in place with Aneke and he is not going to find better treatment elsewhere. He got what 16 goals for us this season? Starting only 11 games and completing 90 minutes on one occasion, he scored twice in that game. Yes he might not have been able to play loss of minutes but he missed a total of 7 league games all season. That included Chuks getting Covid, suspensions and injury. Now with a plan in place and the first time we won’t have a crazy pre-season and this type of medical department with Adkins’ knowledge too, everything points to being able to feature more, meaning more impact, meaning more goals.

Watson will be here next season, he’s activated that clause in his contract.

We can say thanks and good luck to Oshilaja, Oztumer, Maddison, Dempsey, and regrettably Shinnie - I believe he would’ve been kept on under a different manager. Good player but probably doesn’t fit into how Adkins will play.

We will need at least:
    1 goalkeeper to allow Maynard-Brewer to get a league loan
    2 centre backs, possibly 3
    1 left back
    2 wingers, possibly 3
    3 central midfielders
    Possibly 2 strikers, one being Stockley.

That’s a lot of work to be done, a hell of a lot. But, with the right planning and the right approach, it can be done and be very exciting.

Which I think is a good post to highlight those of us that are in the ‘we’re not good enough camp and need a whole new team’, as well as those who are in the ‘we’re not far off, just need to add a bit of quality’ basically want the same thing.  Sage, it’s an excellent post but as you said at the top, to say the vast majority aren’t good enough is harsh, but we agree that we’re looking at potentially 10-12 players to really make a challenge 

that’s how I read it anyway.  
  • we need to bring in 4/5 genuine 1st choice starters
  • Sponsored links:

• How many games did aneke miss through injury? He had covid and missed a couple through minor injuries. I think it’s in his head.
    At least half of every game when fit for most of the season. He seems to have serious fitness issues if not nursed through games and kept in cotton wool on a physio's table half the training week. He apparently didn't turn up to a contract meeting last week because he is looking for a gig in the Championship.   He hasn't  been fit since shortly after joining using 2019. In the real world he is part time at lea81 level sadly. 
    If he passes a medical with history of 90 minutes games he has managed in the last 2 years I would be amazed. 

And he would then have to explain why he was only part time with us.
    I thought Adkins was starting his chats on Tuesday?
  • In my opinion this league is all about having youth, energy, and pace that's what make the difference in this slog of a league. There's a few things on the 'to do' list if I were Nige

1. Kindly ask Gunter & Watson to end their deals early explaining they won't play a part next season - and save us a rumored 10k per week
    2. Keep one of Pearce & Pratley around in player coach role clearly explained that they are back ups - good pro's with good experience
    3. Is there anyone in the Academy able to step up from the U23's I only see Henry personally
    4. See how much Norwich want for Famewo - it's our best chance to get him is this season as he won't play in the Prem but may in the Champ if they get relegated
    5. Sign Stockley you won't get much better at L1 level - they key is to get right players around him, so pacy, tricky inside forwards will be the most important signings we make this season - I expect Nige to go 1433 or 14231 next year
    6. Re-sign Amos / Matthews and JFC (he deserves it)

I've said before that I don't see TS throwing the cash around like some do (unless a Pope windfall comes in) but there are a lot of good players out of contract id' be looking at - Whatmough (Pompey) Garbutt (Blackpool) Louis Reed (P'Boro) Twine (Swin) Evans (Wigan) O'Nien & Wyke (Sund) Sorinola (MK) Piggot (AFC) Dempsey & Graham (Gills) 

If we do spend some money then Jorge Grant, Charlie Kirk, Adam Philips and Mendes-Gomes would all add some stardust on the squad.

I also expect the Ronnie experiment to be quietly swept under the table and for him to be released back to Scandi  
  • Piggott and Stockley upfront seem no brainers really assuming both are interested. 

Not really bothered if any of Gunter, Watson, Pearce, Pratley, Matthews all go. Keeping 1 or 2 for experience probably makes sense but I think all of them can be improved upon.
  • Piggott and Stockley upfront seem no brainers really assuming both are interested. 

Not really bothered if any of Gunter, Watson, Pearce, Pratley, Matthews all go. Keeping 1 or 2 for experience probably makes sense but I think all of them can be improved upon.
    Piggot ? No thanks . 
  • Would be pleased if Stockley was 1st signing of the window. It would be a disaster if he was to sign for another league 1 club and make them much stronger next season.

Piggot ? No thanks . 
    Out of interest why no to Piggot (back up to Stockley) from what I can see if he's pretty mobile, can hold the ball up and has scored goals? And he's on a free with a point to prove
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!