Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    can we change the title pls?
    Done. Keeping it fairly neutral so as not to tempt fate one way or the other :)
  • Options
    Most goal contributions in the squad currently with 3 assists + one goal. He was our most dangerous player until he tired on Saturday I thought.

Keep it up Charlie!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He's a class act. Always seems to make the right decision in the final third and having a great season so far.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Great little player. Excited to see him get a run of games in Garner's system now.

Cue the typical Charlton kick in the balls when we accept a bid for him on deadline day.
    Far more likely he gets kicked in the balls the day after the window shuts and is then out for 5 months
  • Options
    I was at the game on Saturday and was critical of Kirk. Having reflected on this based on the first half highlights I watched back and what other posters have written since, I regret having been overly harsh on the lad.
  • Options
    I think he is playing pretty well and now settling into the side nicely. His ability and willingness to drop deeper to allow Clayden to kick on down the wing is a positive new development too. 

What has impressed me most is his work rate which I did not think was there in his early appearances. I would play him tomorrow night in the hope he gets a goal or two which will continue to grow his confidence. 
  • Options
    What’s he done off the field to be not involved twice? Considering the start he had?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Charlton Athletic manager Ben Garner opted not to name Charlie Kirk in his matchday 18 for last night’s 1-1 draw against Forest Green Rovers.

The 24-year-old winger had started all but one of their League One matches before Tuesday evening’s fixture.

But Garner dropped Kirk completely out, one of six changes from the Addicks team which lost 3-1 to Bolton last time out.

“He just wasn’t selected tonight,” the Charlton manager told the South London Press. “He trained this afternoon with Terell [Thomas] and Mandela [Egbo]. All three did really well and trained hard.

“But the squad tonight was based on the training over the past seven to 10 days – performance in training. Charlie now comes back into the reckoning for Saturday.

“He’s got wonderful talent and he’s shown that at the start of the season. There are areas of the game he needs to add to. What I want to see from Charlie is a real consistency and determination to make the most of his talent, because I think he is really talented lad, who can do great things in the game.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/he-just-wasnt-selected-charlton-boss-explains-why-winger-an-absentee-from-his-squad/

Bye bye Kirk then I guess. 

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Feels like he's just giving Charlie a minor kick up the arse

Unfortunately feels the problem with both him and DJ in the sense that neither appear able to show the consistency to keep the other out of the squad for large enough periods to be a difference in the team

Shame in Kirk's case as he has chipped in with a decent number of assists - We need decent passers of the ball in the team, the alternative is what we saw on Tuesday with everyone trying to win the game on their own
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think, like Charlie, most players at our level will be inconsistent and have poor games.

Its about how frequent and how poor those poor games are, and how you react afterwards. Kirk seems like the sort of player who probably reacts badly to those poor performances.

Needs to get his head down and show he wants to work his way back into the team. As we’ve seen already this year, he’s very different to our other wide players, and that he can create a lot for us when playing well.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I would question if he's potentially suffered the most with Sessegnon absent.

Kirk and Clayden going forward look a decent partnership (He's had the overlapping Full-Back to help his assist count) - But defensively its probably the worst partnership in the whole team, so makes them both look bad.

Sessegnon on the other hand has dealt with a lot defensively when he's had Kirk in the team, so we've not suffered as a collective team so much, meaning Kirk's own defensive liabilities can be overlooked more.
  • Options
    Nothing says joined up thinking more than leaving out a player for one your tried to send to Mansfield 2 weeks ago...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nothing says joined up thinking more than leaving out a player for one your tried to send to Mansfield 2 weeks ago...
    If you’ve got him in the squad, why not use him? 🤷‍♂️

If Kirk has been shirking in training, I fully support the decision to drop him for a few games.
  • Options
    Kirk hasn't just been shirking in training 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If you’ve got him in the squad, why not use him? 🤷‍♂️

If Kirk has been shirking in training, I fully support the decision to drop him for a few games.
    That's not the side to the equation I was commenting on.  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
    He may have more quality in his delivery, but I'd rather have the player who gets involved in my side 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
    He may have more quality in his delivery, but I'd rather have the player who gets involved in my side 
    Bring back Darren Pratley if you want that type of player :)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Kirk the Shirk.
  • Options
    We’ve gone 3-5-2, another reason he’s not in the squad.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
    You still sure about that after his cameo today ;)
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
    He got involved! Poor lad can't help falling over the ball sometimes. Could have been a pen with a blind ref! 
  • Options
    This this is much to do with his laziness and game watching. A player like him is fine in a lower league team wanting somebody to do one piece of decent attacking play per 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    If we go 4-4-2 again (if that’s what it was 2nd half). I’d quiet like to see what he could do, especially with fragile CBT likely to miss games:

Wollacott
    Egbo Innis O’Connell Sess
    JRS Fraser Dobson Kirk
        Stockley Leaburn

Feels like it could be a strong team, if we don’t get overrun in the middle of the park. But that’s where you full backs are so important as one can come inside to make up numbers. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Still better than DJ
    He got involved! Poor lad can't help falling over the ball sometimes. Could have been a pen with a blind ref! 
    Ok Mr Black Knight…
  • Options
    Think it's becoming clear why Kirk likes to play in front of a bombarding and hard working left footed LB!  
  • Options
    I don't dislike Kirk as much as Leuth does, but the jury is certainly out fo rme. Having said that, I thought his corners were excellent last night.