Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Sorry not a rumour. Don't think anybody thought Washington was a bad player for League 1. The problem was his salary.. 
    Didn't realise his salary was the issue?
    When he signed, I received a text saying it was a bonkers signing, as was using a large part of our salary capped budget...
    When we signed Washington and Gilbey I was told we might struggle to get enough bodies in under the cap because their salaries were so,  relatively,  high.   I still don't know who signed that off.   Any ideas? 
    Mihail.

Remember that was the cap at the time when we were under an embargo
  • Options
    I have been saying this for many years and I think a lot of people just view the issue from their own perspective. But what I have been saying is that the most important Charlton fans are the fickle ones and the ones who are not Charlton fans yet. Those that would go religiously in League 2 or the national league are to be commended but they are not important at all because they will eat any crap they are given.

The question is always, can we find more of these easily pleased people and I think there is no evidence that it is possible. A club which has a natural home in the Championship can only lose money and over time fans in the lower leagues. If we become an established league one club that will become our natural place and sadly over the last decade, that seems to be where we are settling. That isn't Sandgaard's fault but it is important we remove the chains of League One sooner rather than later and that is where we have a problem if he is incapable of doing so.

The problem with initiatives to increase fans is not just the plan behind them but the importance that everything else aligns alongside them. Airman was part of the club when it had very ambitious targets which some may have felt were impossible, but what they had alongside a great plan was a club on the up under a terrific manager. And we got promoted to the Premier League.

It worries me when we are told it is possible to double or even triple revenue in League One. It is pie in the sky and just another ridiculous thing to add to the list. We have Airman, who some might have said was over optimistic about what could be done with Target 10,000 and Traget 20,000 telling us there is no plan and indeed I can't see one like so many other little things that add up to a big thing - preventing us getting promoted from a division that is sucking the blood out of us like a leech.

It worries me when I hear stories of chaos within the club, it worries me when I see a team start last season with no goals in it and the owner leading it out playing his song, it worries me when the owner tries to change the name of the women's team to Ladies when they don't want it, it worries me when we had a strikers crisis last season which cost us a lot of points and we go into this with fewer strikers, it worries me when the owner seems to think that the U-23s will solve our issues when you can't bank on it, it happens when and if it happens. It worries when I see stories about a staff member issue that the owner doesn't seem to want to address, it worries me when Jacko was sacked without being given a proper chance and whilst Garner seems to be potentially decent, he has to line up with the system he signed up to like Adkins did. I believe Jacko was sacked because he didn't. It worries me when Sandgaard talks crap and I appreciate I should learn to see around some of it but he has got to me. It also worries me when we seem to have money to waste on players but none to spend on glaring needs. 

If I am supposed to be happy about all that because we are, and indeed we are, playing some more attractive football, then sorry I can't feel it at all.I look at the past and it makes me worry about the future. I look at an owner who I think is out of his depth but he thinks he is a genius. Some think it is a certainty we will get the striker we need but I am concerned that whilst it is blindingly obvious we need one, maybe two, we haven't got him yet and are very likely not to get him at all.
    I would’ve much preferred Andrew Barclay as owner as he would’ve appointed Varney as CEO and we would’ve had experienced management going forward. It didn’t happen because he wanted the Valley and TG, he didn’t want to invest in someone else’s assets. Varney himself persuaded TS to buy Charlton and TS fought pretty hard against the crooks to secure our future. For that I will always be grateful. But it wasn’t a sound business decision and if he made that mistake he’s going to make other mistakes going forward. TS is probably realising that his exit strategy isn’t a great option, all he has in assets is a right to play in this league and some players under contract. He can’t fully invest in the academy (which could be a big revenue stream) as he doesn’t own the ground. I wouldn’t be mad at TS, he’s actually done us a favour and saved the club for now. I’d been angry at Roland, he is the reason the club is stalled and can’t realise it’s potential.

Best two posts I have seen in a long while.
  • Options
    Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

The response was I was sent within 2 minutes.  I was told I was weird. 

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

Just what are Gallen and Co looking at ?
    You was called weird because of you shoehorning a dig at Aneke at every single opportunity you get. Its really strange.

Yesterday I wrote that Portsmouth had signed  Colby Bishop who had now scored 4 goals plus Joe Pigott...and basically why didn't  we......

What  is weird about noting how many decent strikers have been available but not been looked . Stanley have sold 2 good strikers starting in January.  We bought Aneke..

Players that fit our system 
    players that the manager wants
    players that are within budget
    players that are available
    players that are interested in joining us
    players That can be sold for a profit
    players that are different to what we have

i don't think pigott would tick too many of the above. Bishop, not sure if he was on our radar, but going on his start to life at portsmouth, his goals could have been one of the missing parts to our jigsaw
    My thoughts exactly.  How come Posh and Stanley always find these diamonds and all we dig up is coke ?
    Other side of the coin, how many ex Peterborough and accrington academy players currently play in the top flight of leagues across Europe.

we can't monopolise players or buy every player mentioned on here. Our transfer business since gallen has been at the club has generally been good.

im worried about the lack of striking options at the moment, but the full story isn't known. Do we have a target identified but the selling club won't sell until they get their target? Are we waiting for a club to reduce their asking price or are we having a repeat of last year!!
  • Options
    There is absolutely no chance that we are not looking at signing a striker imo. The problem is getting one through the door that we want and need. There are not many about and other clubs are likely chasing the same ones. Hopefully we can get it done but I would hate for us to buy anyone due to a kneejerk reaction, this squad is shaping up to be the real deal I think and there is no point in bringing someone in for the sake of it. For what its worth I think we will sign someone that hasnt even been mentioned on here
  • Options
    George Hirst looks to be leaving Leicester. Faves are Ipswich and Pompey. Decent striker. If he heads to Ipswich this could free up Simpson.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Sorry not a rumour. Don't think anybody thought Washington was a bad player for League 1. The problem was his salary.. 
    When he signed, I received a text saying it was a bonkers signing, as was using a large part of our salary capped budget...
    When we signed Washington and Gilbey I was told we might struggle to get enough bodies in under the cap because their salaries were so,  relatively,  high.   I still don't know who signed that off.   Any ideas? 
    Mihail.

Yes but I assume Mihail didn't intend to pay it out of his own pocket? 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Speaking from memory, so I may be wrong. I thought this was before TS

EDIT, just seen above
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    George Hirst looks to be leaving Leicester. Faves are Ipswich and Pompey. Decent striker. If he heads to Ipswich this could free up Simpson.
    I get a George Hirst, this hot weather
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    He wasn't a bad player but not sure he was good enough, as in he didn't look like a natural finisher, and that is what we need. If Washington had of stayed there would plenty of comments saying we need better.
  • Options
    Signing a striker is always a punt in  to the unknown.Remember Paul Gorman,getting rave reports for non league sides came to us and did not do very well,Andy Jones,great at Port Vale,came to us in div 1 and hardly scored.Clive Mendonca enough said.So we have to take a chance on someone,I liked Stockton,good movement,Good hold up play,i believe he is 28,how old was Clive when he came to us.
    Agree.

One of the few thing’s I’ve learnt from 61 years of watching, and falling in love, with Charlton is - signing a striker is a gamble at the best of times. We should bite the bullet of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really don’t think we’re going to sign Stockton. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Mihail.

What happened between Southall being removed and TS taking over is still a bit of mystery to me. How the club kept going financially, and indeed how we were able to sign 2 players like Washington and Gilbey in the first place, as neither were the sort of cheap free agent you'd have expected us to sign.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    When we signed him my Peterborough Utd supporting laughed saying he doesn’t score enough goals, considered him a dud, he couldn’t believe they sold him to QPR for a good price.
  • Options
    I have been saying this for many years and I think a lot of people just view the issue from their own perspective. But what I have been saying is that the most important Charlton fans are the fickle ones and the ones who are not Charlton fans yet. Those that would go religiously in League 2 or the national league are to be commended but they are not important at all because they will eat any crap they are given.

The question is always, can we find more of these easily pleased people and I think there is no evidence that it is possible. A club which has a natural home in the Championship can only lose money and over time fans in the lower leagues. If we become an established league one club that will become our natural place and sadly over the last decade, that seems to be where we are settling. That isn't Sandgaard's fault but it is important we remove the chains of League One sooner rather than later and that is where we have a problem if he is incapable of doing so.

The problem with initiatives to increase fans is not just the plan behind them but the importance that everything else aligns alongside them. Airman was part of the club when it had very ambitious targets which some may have felt were impossible, but what they had alongside a great plan was a club on the up under a terrific manager. And we got promoted to the Premier League.

It worries me when we are told it is possible to double or even triple revenue in League One. It is pie in the sky and just another ridiculous thing to add to the list. We have Airman, who some might have said was over optimistic about what could be done with Target 10,000 and Traget 20,000 telling us there is no plan and indeed I can't see one like so many other little things that add up to a big thing - preventing us getting promoted from a division that is sucking the blood out of us like a leech.

It worries me when I hear stories of chaos within the club, it worries me when I see a team start last season with no goals in it and the owner leading it out playing his song, it worries me when the owner tries to change the name of the women's team to Ladies when they don't want it, it worries me when we had a strikers crisis last season which cost us a lot of points and we go into this with fewer strikers, it worries me when the owner seems to think that the U-23s will solve our issues when you can't bank on it, it happens when and if it happens. It worries when I see stories about a staff member issue that the owner doesn't seem to want to address, it worries me when Jacko was sacked without being given a proper chance and whilst Garner seems to be potentially decent, he has to line up with the system he signed up to like Adkins did. I believe Jacko was sacked because he didn't. It worries me when Sandgaard talks crap and I appreciate I should learn to see around some of it but he has got to me. It also worries me when we seem to have money to waste on players but none to spend on glaring needs. 

If I am supposed to be happy about all that because we are, and indeed we are, playing some more attractive football, then sorry I can't feel it at all.I look at the past and it makes me worry about the future. I look at an owner who I think is out of his depth but he thinks he is a genius. Some think it is a certainty we will get the striker we need but I am concerned that whilst it is blindingly obvious we need one, maybe two, we haven't got him yet and are very likely not to get him at all.
    I  suspect for long serviing suffering fans who have been going since the 60s/70s this view resonates for a lot of us.

It certainly does with me.  I  remember a slogan/picture after we got back to the Valley of a football with the Valley written on it being handed to a person in a red shirt saying "Now don't lose it ever again".  Well guess what, we have less than 30 years later and royalty fucked up all the hard work Curbishley and Murray did.

So I still go,  it will forever be in my blood,  but I  despair at the way we have been run in recent years,  exacerbated by the success of our neighbours.  We should never have allowed it to happen and imo,  with the way football success is now largely governed by financial muscle, I don't see a way back to the Premier league for us. 

So to the stat bearing happy clappers it is not negativity, it is saying it how it is, and how people see it.  Despite getting dogs abuse, I wasn't wrong when I  said we would get relegated in 2020. 

Overtime you get to know,  have that feeling about things.  I  will wait until 1 September re this season re this team.  I  am excited at the progress to date, but losing that game Saturday instinctively told me,  that without strengthening, we are short of a promotion bid. 
    Why do this? You've just written a long post about how you feel and how you apparently get 'dogs abuse' for your views and then slip in an insult to other Charlton fans on here. It completely undermines your point and goes to show that for all you claim there's an agenda going one way you're quite happy to play into the us and them mentality. Laugh if you want but we can all agree or disagree on here without people's opinions being shouted down - they aren't, if lots of people disagree with you then lots of people disagree with you, the admins handle any actual abuse - and we can all hear what other people have to say without insulting people as negative doomers or happy clappers for either side of the opinion. I'm optimistic about Charlton because if I'm not then I don't understand the point; we're a third division side who often lose. If I don't hold onto the positives then I may as well stop altogether. Others don't feel that way. Fine. It doesn't help matters to create factions within the support though and we're all in charge of whether that happens or not.
    Spot on!
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Simpson isn’t wanted by Ipswich and he wants out. The problem for anyone looking at getting him in is the price being asked by Ipswich. He won’t move anywhere unless Ipswich reduce the fee. 
  • Options
    i think we should be looking at ryan hardie from plymouth - think he would fit in well and also macaully bonne on loan - looks lost at qpr but would be decent in the garner formation - hes a goal poacher. 

I don't think Bonne is good enough on the ball or at holding it up to fit this system. He is also not particularly quick or good at passing.
    And is always offside.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Mihail.

This correct, and only way to get players through the door at that point was to pay bigger wages.. As the club was in a right mess at that point!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We are definitely looking to bring in another forward, seems contingent on one of JFC or Gilbey leaving though.
    Two weeks and counting then..very crucial, thing is who will it be...got to be JFC in the giveaway sale with JJ@AFCW🤔🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Didn’t we extend JFC’s contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You was called weird because of you shoehorning a dig at Aneke at every single opportunity you get. Its really strange.

Players that fit our system 
    players that the manager wants
    players that are within budget
    players that are available
    players that are interested in joining us
    players That can be sold for a profit
    players that are different to what we have

i don't think pigott would tick too many of the above. Bishop, not sure if he was on our radar, but going on his start to life at portsmouth, his goals could have been one of the missing parts to our jigsaw
    My thoughts exactly.  How come Posh and Stanley always find these diamonds and all we dig up is coke ?
    They don’t, they have plenty of duds too. The diamonds they pay absolutely top dollar for, £1.2m and upwards, with the knowledge they will have to move them on in a year at a profit. It’s a risky strategy but that’s how they punch above their weight.
  • Options

It wasn't you who wrote' weird 'as the single remark so how you can step forward and offer that is strange.  I wasn't trying to show horn a criticism of Aneke in. Nobody needs a shoe horn to do that....

All I have said is look at who has been available since January and we got Aneke.  That is no weird ;  that is fact. 

Your was is wrong to...it is 'you were'.
    You’ve just shoe horned another critical comment….LOL.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Not a rumour, but the Not the Top 20 Pod boys were raving about 23 yr old Brandon Thomas-Asante who scored two goals and provided a great assist to help secure victory for Salford v. Crewe on Saturday. 
    Apparently there is interest. 
    Er, someone has just updated his Wiki page to say he’s signed today for Portsmouth for 300k. 
    :-( if so. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Not a rumour, but the Not the Top 20 Pod boys were raving about 23 yr old Brandon Thomas-Asante who scored two goals and provided a great assist to help secure victory for Salford v. Crewe on Saturday. 
    Er, someone has just updated his Wiki page to say he’s signed today for Portsmouth for 300k. 
    The double barrelled striker I’ve been waiting for!

No-one will be able to stop our forward line:

Blackett-Taylor, Thomas-Asante, Rak-Sakyi 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The double barrelled striker I’ve been waiting for!

No-one will be able to stop our forward line:

Blackett-Taylor, Thomas-Asante, Rak-Sakyi 
    Apparently he recently dropped the Thomas bit, so he’s now just Brandon Asante, but is willing to reinstall it if it means Sandgaard would buy him. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Are Pompey the new Ipswich now  ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:
    Mihail.

What happened between Southall being removed and TS taking over is still a bit of mystery to me. How the club kept going financially, and indeed how we were able to sign 2 players like Washington and Gilbey in the first place, as neither were the sort of cheap free agent you'd have expected us to sign.
    Possibly parachute payment money after relegation to league 1. Or money left from the championship season that Southall hadn’t got his hands on. Small amount of Aribo compensation money? Those are the only income I can think of that we would have got around that time