Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    We need to find the quality, age and affordability, it is out there...

A young left footed centre back that’s good enough to win us promotion will cost us 7 figures and be incredibly difficult to find one as everyone is playing 3 at the back so their value has gone up and there will be a lot of competition. I think for defenders as well I would prefer the age rage 25-29 rather than our usual aim to sign younger players 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    big gap between salaries in champ and league one for starters... Think we should be able to find better at half the cost IMHO
    Should is doing a lot of heavy lifting. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Redhenry said:
    We need to find the quality, age and affordability, it is out there...

A young left footed centre back that’s good enough to win us promotion will cost us 7 figures and be incredibly difficult to find one as everyone is playing 3 at the back so their value has gone up and there will be a lot of competition. I think for defenders as well I would prefer the age rage 25-29 rather than our usual aim to sign younger players 
    I don’t think we can afford to have such specific requirements for a players age. A good left footed CB could be right for us whether they’re 19 and on loan or a 30 year old free agent. 

As plenty of other clubs are playing 3 at the back that’ll mean the players are out there. Which smaller clubs are playing a similar formation in L1? Which L2 clubs doing well have a good left footed CB?
  • Options
    How many?
  • Options
    Luke McCormick from Wimbledon
    I liked their lapslie look alike. Rudini??
    Yes also a good young and skilful player that I wouldn’t be unhappy to have.

Like Scully, he probably isn’t a natural fit due to our formation not accommodating them (winger for Scully, no. 10 for Rudoni). In that case, we would have to be confident that we have a clear plan to utilise them before signing otherwise we are going to end up in the same boat this time next year with good young players but nowhere to fit them in.

Scully strikes me as a second striker type, lots of running and pace, an eye for a finish. Whereas Rudoni might be better in a deeper role where his pretty feet would serve better - would need to put on some weight though.
    Rudoni is their big prospect and the player they believe will be their first £1m player according to my Don’s supporting mate.

Maybe relegation will now impact that price but I don’t see Sandgaard playing £0.5-1m for a player who doesn’t really fit the system 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lockyer and Sarr both out of contract. Would both be brilliant signings for this level. I reckon both will get a championship deal but maybe Naby and JJ relationship could work in our favour as we really need a couple of left sided centre backs that are comfortable on the ball as Purrington/Famewo don’t quite cut it 
    But both not good enough for the championship. TS has said we are building for the long term, bringing back bang average players to the club won't help. 
    You means like Chuks Aneke & Harry Arter?
  • Options
    Personally one I’d want in on loan is Callum Wright.

He was superb at ours and has done really well at Cheltenham, so L1 experience, scores goals and would fit the advanced midfield role.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

Like Scully, he probably isn’t a natural fit due to our formation not accommodating them (winger for Scully, no. 10 for Rudoni). In that case, we would have to be confident that we have a clear plan to utilise them before signing otherwise we are going to end up in the same boat this time next year with good young players but nowhere to fit them in.

Scully strikes me as a second striker type, lots of running and pace, an eye for a finish. Whereas Rudoni might be better in a deeper role where his pretty feet would serve better - would need to put on some weight though.
    Rudoni is their big prospect and the player they believe will be their first £1m player according to my Don’s supporting mate.

Maybe relegation will now impact that price but I don’t see Sandgaard playing £0.5-1m for a player who doesn’t really fit the system 
    You mean like Kirk? 
  • Options
    poeple mentioning Sarr, I’d rather keep Famewo if I’m honest , I think Lavelle might come good next season too, also Clare has been quality at the back, we need probally 2 more options as Pearce hasn’t got another season in him and Innis is too unreliable. Saying that maybe young Deji might be ready to break through next season, I know he is only 18 but not much seems to have been said about him since looking promising early doors. Maybe we should blood him for the last games of this season if he’s fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Look at all the people making out like Sarr wasn't a major part of a promotion squad, isn't it cute 
    Not everyone is a football visionary. While some of us are admiring runs from our overlapping centre backs, others are demanding a “back to basics” 4-4-2.

They want to see Captain Pearce start every game for his organisation and no nonsense style. Talk of Sarr coming back is laughable to them.

In the summer their key signing is a balding midfield hard man from Fleetwood or Morecambe to play alongside Dobson.

Promotion would be all but guaranteed if we replaced Jackson with Neil Warnock. Unfortunately he’s retired but we have a good second choice, Mick McCarthy.

:smile:
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Why would either drop down to League 1?
    Because they are both ex players and love the club. Obviously. 🙂
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    People know we don't have to sign players that used to play for us right? 
    People do know it’s possible for a former player to come back to play for us and do well, right?
    Naby wasn't good here the first time round, and if he'd improved at all he'd be playing regular football somewhere. We romanticise ex players far too much, usually based on how likeable they are as a person 
    I agree generally, but equally why rule out ex players purely because they've played for us previously? That's nonsense too. So you wouldn't want Pope in goal next season, or Konsa and Gomez at CB? Grant up top?
    I wouldn't rule out any ex player, bar Thuram. I just wonder if any other fanbase is this obsessed with players after they leave. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Kirk was £0.5m which by my estimate is 50% of the £1m price rumoured for Rudoni… so yeah I don’t see Tommy paying that … ok 👍🏼 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:
    Lockyer and Sarr both out of contract. Would both be brilliant signings for this level. I reckon both will get a championship deal but maybe Naby and JJ relationship could work in our favour as we really need a couple of left sided centre backs that are comfortable on the ball as Purrington/Famewo don’t quite cut it 
    But both not good enough for the championship. TS has said we are building for the long term, bringing back bang average players to the club won't help. 
    No but I would rather have them two than Gunter and Famewo.
    Agreed, but we should be aiming higher. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Not like Kirk, he did fit the system 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Kirk was £0.5m which by my estimate is 50% of the £2m price rumoured for Rudoni… so yeah I don’t see Tommy paying that … ok 👍🏼 
    50% of £2m = £0.5m is a typing error.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Kirk was £0.5m which by my estimate is 50% of the £2m price rumoured for Rudoni… so yeah I don’t see Tommy paying that … ok 👍🏼 
    Oh 2 million which is about 200%-400% of the prices you first mentioned.  :wink:
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Not if he was a "like for like" for Millar.  It's like saying Stockley was a "like for like" for Leko. 

There are many ways to play but not all players who notionally play in the same position are just interchangeable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    50% of £2m = £0.5m is a typing error.

Well corrected... LOL
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Nice of Naby to join Charlton Life and big himself up  ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 
    Not if he was a "like for like" for Millar.  It's like saying Stockley was a "like for like" for Leko. 

There are many ways to play but not all players who notionally play in the same position are just interchangeable. 
    Well either way signing any kind of winger made way more sense last summer than it will this one. 

Although I don’t think anybody thought Kirk was directly comparable to Millar, that’s why we signed CBT and Leko. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

You mean like Kirk? 

Well either way signing any kind of winger made way more sense last summer than it will this one. 

Although I don’t think anybody thought Kirk was directly comparable to Millar, that’s why we signed CBT and Leko. 
    Well the person that brought him in to play the same role obviously did.   The players, and type of players define the style more than just the formation. 

The biggest problem with our squad isn't balance of positions it's balance of roles.  Last season Millar used to, regularly, move the whole team 20 or 30 yards up the pitch.  Kirk couldn't do that.  We have got all the positions but not all the attributes. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    I commented on this and gave a 3/10 for all the reasons we now know. Let’s hope it becomes a 6/7 in reality.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Scoham said:
    I commented on this and gave a 3/10 for all the reason ms we now know. Let’s hope it becomes a 6/7 in reality.
    Given who we've brought in in the last 12 months, that's not an entirely unfair expectation.

Personally I'm probably  a 4/10.
  • Options
    Phew 😥, with all these low expectations we should have a really positive site when the season starts.