Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm watching a pro development League match between Millwall v Sheff Wed. Hoping one lad in particular gets a deal with Wednesday.
    What a place to see the news about Jackson. Just as I was feeling relaxed for the first time ever at the new or old den.

Feel gutted for JJ. 

He can write that book now, warts and all.

Millwall just scored the winner in the last minute.

Some things never change !
  • Options
    That was the right move. Makes next season more interesting 
  • Options
    For me personally, I would have loved JJ to do well as Charlton manager, but I was never confident we were going to see anything in terms of style of play and ideas from him different to what we have seen in recent years, which is why I would never have appointed him in the first place. 

You can argue that he was giving a bad hand with the players at his disposal, and not having a full pre-season with them (as manager). But there's plenty of teams who have limited players, and may not be successful as a whole, but they have a clear identity and style of play. Under JJ we were never dynamic, never able to adapt, and served up a style of football that has not been the meta for about 10 years.

However I will tell you something, I am not confident we have the set up in place to make the correct appointment now, and bring the correct players in as well. And if we were going to be a bit shit, I would much rather that be with someone passionate about Charlton like JJ at the helm.
  • Options
    Mixed emotions really. 

Firstly they should have done this before the last home game, deserves to be clapped out the front door, not booted out the back door. 

I said before he should have either gone with Bowyer or last summer.   I still stick with that.

Saying that he probably did deserve this summer and a chance to make a real fist of it, but I don't think he would have got it anyway. 

Very brave thing for Thomas to do, time will tell if it's wise or not. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Depending on what type of manager we want I would like either Michael Beale or Mark Bowen.

Could Beale have a similar impact that McKenna has at Ipswich or Manning at MKD?

Bowen was my choice before Adkins. Genuine Charlton pedigree and he would know L1 having just taken on the impossible task of revitalising Afc Wombles. 
    Bowen would be a terrible choice after his Wimbledon gig, he changed formation and personnel more often than bowyer!! I reckon Euell might go to Wimbledon now.  Bowen for Euell would not be a fair swap
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Absolutely shocked !!!!

My respect for TS, well earned when he beat all the odds to buy our club, has plummeted downwards.

I'm speechless & upset at the same time.

His partner, all over Jacko's wife at the dinner on Sunday...besties it looked like. 

Now 2 days later, THIS. Maybe the old adage, that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure ? 

Wonder what the players are thinking now ? 

Johnnie. You didn't deserve this.

Can't post anything further now.
    Well OTT
    How come ?

Were you there, sitting on the closest table to them ? 

We were rubbish under JJ and he deserved to go, tactics were awful, results awful. You're making out TS has just liquidated the club. 

Perspective needed, football is a business. 
    Now who's OTT 
    Nothing in what I said is OTT, it's fact. 
  • Options
    Very abrupt from TS, makes me think he's got someone already lined up?

Shocked but not shocked at the same time. Results have very poor since the new year, but there was an argument that he should get the summer and build his own team, then we can see what kind of a manager he is. TS had other ideas clearly. 

Thank you for your service JJ, you're a Charlton legend in my eyes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder if the coaches will be staying or a new man coming in an bringing their own.  
  • Options
    I think I am right in saying JJ has the highest win ratio of any Charlton manager at 47.5%? Even Curbs, Jimmy Seed, Chris Powell, Bowyer couldn't match that-I think Jimmy Seed came closest at 43%- on a pure statistical measure the decision to sack him seems bizarre!
  • Options
    Mark warburton I’d like to see, managed at clubs where he’s had no say on transfers 
  • Options
    Not really a surprise, surely the back ground boys are next, it hasn't worked. 
  • Options
    With Pearce and JJ gone do we have anyone left who endured the Roland era? 
  • Options
    @Blucher, whose summaries I enjoy reading has been hinting at concerns with the Managerial and coaching aspect for a number of games now. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Absolutely shocked !!!!

My respect for TS, well earned when he beat all the odds to buy our club, has plummeted downwards.

I'm speechless & upset at the same time.

His partner, all over Jacko's wife at the dinner on Sunday...besties it looked like. 

Now 2 days later, THIS. Maybe the old adage, that you shouldn't mix business with pleasure ? 

Wonder what the players are thinking now ? 

Johnnie. You didn't deserve this.

Can't post anything further now.
    Well OTT
    How come ?

Were you there, sitting on the closest table to them ? 

We were rubbish under JJ and he deserved to go, tactics were awful, results awful. You're making out TS has just liquidated the club. 

Perspective needed, football is a business. 
    YOU highlighted the line in my post regarding TS's partner at the POTY dinner.

Then following my comment, chose to post something unrelated .....

I'm entitled to my opinion & you have totally disregarded something you clearly didn't see for yourself.

What's your problem ? 
    You're being overly dramatic. "I'm speechless & upset at the same time." At a manager who has failed since he arrived being sacked? 

Seems some people would rather an out of depth manager stay in role because he is a Charlton legend, than see us actually do well on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Good god, renewed season tickets at 13:53 -not sure i would have don't that without Jackson
  • Options
    Also all the happy lot should think on how TS's last actual selection had us adrift st the bottom of the league this season. Not a great track record.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Sad for Jacko as he is a club and personal  legend, and will remain so. As a pragmatist, this is necessary and a roll of the dice makes sense. As others have said, TS is now in a boom or bust scenario, as he will be investing on and off the pitch over next few months to ensure success. Anything less than t promotion next season, will be unexpected, if TS statement is to be believed. 
  • Options
    Absolutely the right decision to let him go, but the replacement is the important thing.

Will be a real show of how much Sandgaard junior has learnt in the six months he's had as football expert.
  • Options
    I’ll reserve judgment on this decision until I see who’s incoming, loved Jacko as a player but was left a little disappointed with him as a manager even though I thought he was the right appointment at the time.
  • Options
    Sad day for me. Shame we will not get a chance to say goodbye to a club legend. All the best JJ
  • Options
    First of all best wishes to Johnnie, absolute legend to the club - probably the longest-serving/iconic I remember since Clive Mendonca in my 29 years of age/support. 

That said, after his initial spell of games, Jacko's tactics left a lot to be desired. The stubborness to not budge from his 3-5-2 may have been the nail in his coffin, playing the likes of Ben Purringon, Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews and others in CB when we didn't have enough players rather than switching to a 4-4-2 shows tactical arrogance for somebody who's only been a manager for <1yr. It's going to spice up the summer given we will only likely retain 10-12 players and a new manager with his own system... If nothing else it'll be a fun summer.
  • Options
    Thought he deserved full season, but I did have my doubts about the way we were playing. Deserves credit for saving us from a relegation season which is what it looked like after 13 games.