Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jojo Wollacott - out with a broken finger (p12)

Comments

• Options
    He was apparently wanted by MK Dons as well. 
    I would imagine that this will be a recurring theme of this window, MK's style seems similar to the one we are looking to implement and (for better or worse) they are roughly the same level as us right now.
  • Options
    Fucksake. Are we going to be signing everybody from Swindon?
    only their entire defence from league two's top scorers
  • Options
    Didn't Sheffield Wednesday nick a load of our players around the time of the Paul Williams transfer? 

I still harbour a grudge against them, but I'm getting old and can't quite remember why.
    Think it was 4? Williams, Shirtliff, Watson and Mackenzie.
    Thanks.  We lost a bit of quality there.  Hopefully Swindon losing the same (comparatively speaking).  I have a nagging doubt though tbh.
  • Options
    Welcome JoJo ♥️
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    A signing I was half expecting, a modern day goalkeeper that can play a bit and be a sweeper. Macca doesn’t fit the way we will play so Exocet him to leave. Was hoping AMB would be our number 1 , still have hopes he will impress in pre-season,
    League Two keeper of the year will do for me though, young and has signed a long term contract. 
    Blindly, if you had a choice.  Would you take the league 2 team of the year or the team that finished 8th in league 1's POTY?  For the same position.

Ahem ...

... Peter Clarke?

Let this League 2 'Team of the season' be a benchmark.

Also, didn't Swindon get relegated from League 1 quite recently?

And we stole DJ and Matt Smith from that squad.
    Exactly, the example was MacKeeper was 8th placed league 1 clubs player of the year when we signed him.......

But if we signed Cameron Brannagan who is his replacement everyone would be happy.
    What does Cameron Brannagan have to do with it? 
    Because he was the POTY in the team that finished about 8th in league 1 this season.  Like MacKeeper was last season.  

The original question was would you have league 1's 8th teams poty or league 2 team of the years player. In theory.
    So, the point that you are trying to make is ...

... because we would all (presumably) prefer Brannagan to a League 2 'Team of the season' player, then we should be happy that we got Brannagan's equivalent (a goalkeeper from Portsmouth) last season?

Or ... because we were (apparently) happy with MacGillivray last season, but that he has subsequently not impressed, then we should prefer League 2 'Team of the season' players?

Am I getting close yet?

Here's an idea:

Let's generalise that League 1 players are statistically better than League 2 players.

Let's get some of those.
    Have you always had this thing about leagues, Dave? Were you pissed off when we signed Darren Bent from the Championship? 
    Let him have it. It's distracted him from posting weirdly specific angry fanfic about DJ all day at least
  • Options
    Potentially another very good signing. I’m not too bothered about the L2 thing, although of course only time will tell how they turn out. 
    I might start getting worried if too many more of the rest of our signings come from the lower leagues however. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    I don’t get all this “league two” stuff and comments. A club in our position will almost always have to buy players from leagues below us, we are not going to persuade good quality Championship players to drop down to league one 
    I'm fine with it too. In the same way the highest performing players in league one will go to championship clubs, but we should be in with a shout for someone like Cole Stockton though.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Very pleased with this signing, for me a new keeper this year was going to be a our biggest signing.. For all of Mc’s clean sheets look good on paper, but half of those were games where a team could play all year and not score!! Doesn’t tell you the amount of mistakes he made, and how uncomfortable he was with the ball, and how many miss hit or wrongly directed passes put our players under pressure.
    Mc is the worst goalkeeper we’ve had as a permanent fixture since the 90s. Average stopper , poor distribution, dreadful box patrol.   No idea if this guy will be an upgrade but I’m glad we’ve got a new keeper - I didn’t see that coming . 
    Eh? Who did we have who was worse in the 90s?
    Petterson? Even he was better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Will be at the WC as Ghana’s No 1.
    And already links up well with Davison….

https://twitter.com/themoderndaygk/status/1504148111027052553?s=21&t=TsTS12p3fiif3Sg0VsYvTA
    What I like there is Davison placing the ball in the net, not just whacking it.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Very pleased with this signing, for me a new keeper this year was going to be a our biggest signing.. For all of Mc’s clean sheets look good on paper, but half of those were games where a team could play all year and not score!! Doesn’t tell you the amount of mistakes he made, and how uncomfortable he was with the ball, and how many miss hit or wrongly directed passes put our players under pressure.
    Mc is the worst goalkeeper we’ve had as a permanent fixture since the 90s. Average stopper , poor distribution, dreadful box patrol.   No idea if this guy will be an upgrade but I’m glad we’ve got a new keeper - I didn’t see that coming . 
    Eh? Who did we have who was worse in the 90s?
    Petterson? Even he was better.
    Was thinking this earlier. Bob Bolder is the first Charlton keeper I remember and we’ve been very lucky to have good starting keepers since then. Worst since then are probably Weaver and Thuram. 
  • Options
    Didn't Sheffield Wednesday nick a load of our players around the time of the Paul Williams transfer? 

I still harbour a grudge against them, but I'm getting old and can't quite remember why.
    Think it was 4? Williams, Shirtliff, Watson and Mackenzie. 
    I thought it was five.  I remember a VoV cover with Big Ron holding his hand up, fingers spread, and the title "I'll take 5...I'll be back for the rest later".
  • Options
    Hopefully this is bye bye Macca... But sadly also suspect this could be bye bye Maynard-Brewer
    It might be so long for one of them but not both
    Letting them go would be a foolish risk, what happens if our No.1 gets injured in just after the window closes?  There's loads of valuable pizza and fizzypop cup matches to play to keep the reserve goalie tuned up.
  • Options
    Previous POTY? What could go wrong?
  • Options
    I am guessing that Nathan Harness will go on a season long loan somewhere. I would hope with an instant recall clause.
    Somewhere local in the fourth division would be good, like Leyton Orient, Wimbledon, Crawley, Colchester, Gillingham or similar.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/he-is-a-quality-goalkeeper-swindon-town-reaction-to-joe-wollacott-signing-for-charlton-athletic/

Haha... We're gonna love him!!

I would say his biggest weakness is being unable to command his area well enough. He comes for crosses when necessary, but only when he is absolutely sure he can get there.

Sounds as though he could be a bit like Macca, just better with his distribution
  • Options
    Olly really probing him with those "how much are you looking forward to..." questions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    A signing I was half expecting, a modern day goalkeeper that can play a bit and be a sweeper. Macca doesn’t fit the way we will play so Exocet him to leave. Was hoping AMB would be our number 1 , still have hopes he will impress in pre-season,
    League Two keeper of the year will do for me though, young and has signed a long term contract. 
    Blindly, if you had a choice.  Would you take the league 2 team of the year or the team that finished 8th in league 1's POTY?  For the same position.

Ahem ...

... Peter Clarke?

Let this League 2 'Team of the season' be a benchmark.

Also, didn't Swindon get relegated from League 1 quite recently?

And we stole DJ and Matt Smith from that squad.
    Exactly, the example was MacKeeper was 8th placed league 1 clubs player of the year when we signed him.......

But if we signed Cameron Brannagan who is his replacement everyone would be happy.
    What does Cameron Brannagan have to do with it? 
    Because he was the POTY in the team that finished about 8th in league 1 this season.  Like MacKeeper was last season.  

The original question was would you have league 1's 8th teams poty or league 2 team of the years player. In theory.
    So, the point that you are trying to make is ...

... because we would all (presumably) prefer Brannagan to a League 2 'Team of the season' player, then we should be happy that we got Brannagan's equivalent (a goalkeeper from Portsmouth) last season?

Or ... because we were (apparently) happy with MacGillivray last season, but that he has subsequently not impressed, then we should prefer League 2 'Team of the season' players?

Am I getting close yet?

Here's an idea:

Let's generalise that League 1 players are statistically better than League 2 players.

Let's get some of those.
    Have you always had this thing about leagues, Dave? Were you pissed off when we signed Darren Bent from the Championship? 
    Let him have it. It's distracted him from posting weirdly specific angry fanfic about DJ all day at least
    I moan at DJ because I think he's shit.

But thanks for the reminder.  I'd missed a few days.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Chunes said:
    Maybe he's been signed to offer competition to our new #1, AMB, with Mac being let go.
    If Mac is let go Brewer will be in the Socceroo squad ,come November ,Jojo will be away too, we will be using our youth GKs
    Its likely it'll only be the Port Vale on 19th November we could be in trouble for.

Premier League teams play their last league game on 12th November, before the World Cup, so guessing that players will have to report to their countries around that time.

I'd be surprised if either Ghana or Australia go out of the Group Stages... So the last games for those two are 2nd Dec (Ghana vs Uruguay) and 30th Nov (Australia vs Denmark) - So we should have one of those two back, for the game against Cheltenham on the 3rd December.

Whilst it'll be a long flight, its only about five hours difference, so wont have to worry about jet lag

I still dont expect Maynard-Brewer to go - 2026 on the other hand I would... I mean he went to the Olympics, but Tom Glover (Melbourne City Goalkeeper) played instead, so wouldn't be surprised if he was ahead in the queue anyway.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    mendonca said:
    I think AMB will be given a chance too, what with the WC. Competition. Stake your claim.
    Will BOTH of them be at the World Cup though?
    AMB was about third choice, but in Graham Arnold's, Socceroo squad never the less  And Australia have always been spoilt for GKs any way.Probably comes with the indiginous SHITsports Wicket keepers in Cricket. High marks in Australian Rules
    I don't think AMB is third choice, more likely around 5th. I don't expected him to go to the World Cup, especially if he's our Number 2 and doesn't play much beforehand. 
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    And all those that say 'we dont want hoof it up top' rout one football,

I thought it was a decent bit of play and an impressive confident finish by Davison, good all round really...