Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jojo Wollacott - out with a broken finger (p12)

Comments

• At this rate we are gonna have Fjortoft up front at age 50
    Don Rogers on the wing age 76?
  • shows me that Gallen & Co. now not in charge of recruitment......and probably no black box stats taken into consideration......probably a good thing ?
  • Saw him play for Forest Green in the Carabao Cup when we lost to them on penalties. We were poor that night😁
  • I agree with the above that it is looking more and more difficult to suggest that Martin Sandgaard is signing players and imposing them on the manager.
  • LenGlover said:
    At this rate we are gonna have Fjortoft up front at age 50
    Don Rogers on the wing age 76?
    Don’t want anymore ex Palace.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    A signing I was half expecting, a modern day goalkeeper that can play a bit and be a sweeper. Macca doesn’t fit the way we will play so Exocet him to leave. Was hoping AMB would be our number 1 , still have hopes he will impress in pre-season,
    League Two keeper of the year will do for me though, young and has signed a long term contract. 
    Blindly, if you had a choice.  Would you take the league 2 team of the year or the team that finished 8th in league 1's POTY?  For the same position.

Ahem ...

... Peter Clarke?

Let this League 2 'Team of the season' be a benchmark.

Also, didn't Swindon get relegated from League 1 quite recently?

And we stole DJ and Matt Smith from that squad.
    Exactly, the example was MacKeeper was 8th placed league 1 clubs player of the year when we signed him.......

But if we signed Cameron Brannagan who is his replacement everyone would be happy.
    What does Cameron Brannagan have to do with it? 
    Because he was the POTY in the team that finished about 8th in league 1 this season.  Like MacKeeper was last season.  

The original question was would you have league 1's 8th teams poty or league 2 team of the years player. In theory.
    So, the point that you are trying to make is ...

... because we would all (presumably) prefer Brannagan to a League 2 'Team of the season' player, then we should be happy that we got Brannagan's equivalent (a goalkeeper from Portsmouth) last season?

Or ... because we were (apparently) happy with MacGillivray last season, but that he has subsequently not impressed, then we should prefer League 2 'Team of the season' players?

Am I getting close yet?

Here's an idea:

Let's generalise that League 1 players are statistically better than League 2 players.

Let's get some of those.
    Have you always had this thing about leagues, Dave? Were you pissed off when we signed Darren Bent from the Championship? 
    How difficult is it?

Yes, you can pick up players from lower Leagues who do well.  Bent is a good example.

And generally, when you pick up players from lower Leagues, you get what you deserve.  There are 1000 good examples.

Shall we start a thread to list them?
    Can't wrap my head around it mate. Yeah I'm sure if you just randomly dipped your hand into league two, the players would be worse than league one. But that's why clubs scout players. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're suggesting that whole process is useless and that you can just judge a player on the league they're currently playing in. And to me that sounds bonkers. 

Logically speaking, as well, if league one players are so much better, where have they come from? They can't all have come from the divisions above or league one academies. 

Ok I just had a look at MK Dons squad for an example. Good team, not a huge budget yet always in the play-offs. Most of their team is from the lower leagues. 

Baldwin - Eastleigh
    Jules - Walsall
    O'Hara - Bohemian FC
    Darling - Cambridge Utd
    Boateng - Exeter
    Harbor - Ayr
    Kemp - Orient
    *Deep breath*
    I'm saying that players in a lower League are generally not as good as players in higher League. 

• ct_addick said:
    shows me that Gallen & Co. now not in charge of recruitment......and probably no black box stats taken into consideration......probably a good thing ?
    O'Connell was on the black box list and Garner also had him as one he would like. All the players we're picking up from Swindon will have been on the longlist as well at the very least. We're talking the L2 team of the year keeper here and one who specifically can play out. He was also out of contract so an easy deal to complete. I would wager Wollacott was very high on any list of potential keepers
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:
    shows me that Gallen & Co. now not in charge of recruitment......and probably no black box stats taken into consideration......probably a good thing ?

Stats will never go away and nor should they in terms of recruitment. As others have said most if not all of those players were probably already on our radar fitting in with the direction we want to go, once we stop Viking raiding and pillaging Swindon we'll probably be able to tell if the recruitment process order has changed. 

Personally, I don't think there'll be many interviews this summer with Garner saying "yeah, he's a player I'm aware of was good in Villa's youth errrrrr yeah....next question"
  • seth plum said:
    Never heard that before but shit....I hope I never do again!!
  • edited June 2022
    seth plum said:
    Never heard that before but shit....I hope I never do again!!

Now that is entirely up to you of course.....
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    A signing I was half expecting, a modern day goalkeeper that can play a bit and be a sweeper. Macca doesn’t fit the way we will play so Exocet him to leave. Was hoping AMB would be our number 1 , still have hopes he will impress in pre-season,
    League Two keeper of the year will do for me though, young and has signed a long term contract. 
    Blindly, if you had a choice.  Would you take the league 2 team of the year or the team that finished 8th in league 1's POTY?  For the same position.

Ahem ...

... Peter Clarke?

Exactly, the example was MacKeeper was 8th placed league 1 clubs player of the year when we signed him.......

But if we signed Cameron Brannagan who is his replacement everyone would be happy.
    Because he was the POTY in the team that finished about 8th in league 1 this season.  Like MacKeeper was last season.  

The original question was would you have league 1's 8th teams poty or league 2 team of the years player. In theory.

... because we would all (presumably) prefer Brannagan to a League 2 'Team of the season' player, then we should be happy that we got Brannagan's equivalent (a goalkeeper from Portsmouth) last season?

Or ... because we were (apparently) happy with MacGillivray last season, but that he has subsequently not impressed, then we should prefer League 2 'Team of the season' players?

Am I getting close yet?

Here's an idea:

Let's generalise that League 1 players are statistically better than League 2 players.

Let's get some of those.
    Have you always had this thing about leagues, Dave? Were you pissed off when we signed Darren Bent from the Championship? 
    How difficult is it?

Yes, you can pick up players from lower Leagues who do well.  Bent is a good example.

And generally, when you pick up players from lower Leagues, you get what you deserve.  There are 1000 good examples.

Can't wrap my head around it mate. Yeah I'm sure if you just randomly dipped your hand into league two, the players would be worse than league one. But that's why clubs scout players. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're suggesting that whole process is useless and that you can just judge a player on the league they're currently playing in. And to me that sounds bonkers. 

Logically speaking, as well, if league one players are so much better, where have they come from? They can't all have come from the divisions above or league one academies. 

Ok I just had a look at MK Dons squad for an example. Good team, not a huge budget yet always in the play-offs. Most of their team is from the lower leagues. 

Baldwin - Eastleigh
    Jules - Walsall
    O'Hara - Bohemian FC
    Darling - Cambridge Utd
    Boateng - Exeter
    Harbor - Ayr
    Kemp - Orient
    *Deep breath*
    I'm saying that players in a lower League are generally not as good as players in higher League. 

Some people need it spelling out.

Happy to help.
  • If both our keepers are at the WC, if we had someone else there, couldn't we just call our games off?

Chris Gunter on a 6 month contract  ;)
  • wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Very pleased with this signing, for me a new keeper this year was going to be a our biggest signing.. For all of Mc’s clean sheets look good on paper, but half of those were games where a team could play all year and not score!! Doesn’t tell you the amount of mistakes he made, and how uncomfortable he was with the ball, and how many miss hit or wrongly directed passes put our players under pressure.
    Mc is the worst goalkeeper we’ve had as a permanent fixture since the 90s. Average stopper , poor distribution, dreadful box patrol.   No idea if this guy will be an upgrade but I’m glad we’ve got a new keeper - I didn’t see that coming . 
    Eh? Who did we have who was worse in the 90s?
    Petterson? Even he was better.
    I didn’t think any of that lot were any good really- Vaughan, Salmon, Petters, Ilic; all had limitations . I don’t say McG is any better than any of them
  • If both our keepers are at the WC, if we had someone else there, couldn't we just call our games off?

Could we get an emergency loan ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Both of our keepers in the toilet in November 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:

Ahem ...

... Peter Clarke?

Am I getting close yet?

Here's an idea:

Let's get some of those.
    How difficult is it?

Baldwin - Eastleigh
    Jules - Walsall
    O'Hara - Bohemian FC
    Darling - Cambridge Utd
    Boateng - Exeter
    Harbor - Ayr
    Kemp - Orient
    *Deep breath*

That Gemma off Love Island is well fit…. I think I’ve seen her somewhere before….

I suppose McGillivray would count as the 3rd for Scotland…….Oh hold on………
  • paulg1947 said:
    Rothko said:
    On the World Cup issue, what’s the chances of AMB going in the Australian squad? 
    Almost zero i'd say.

Never got a senior cap and not even in recent squads, so i doubt they're suddenly going to pick him as one of their 3 keepers.
    I am pretty sure Arnold had him at no 3 for recent play offs Andrew Redmayne was no 2, against Peru, and stopped the winning pen, in the shoot out. Strangely, Arnold took Ryan off about 10 mins remaning of Xtra time .As A R has a great pen saving record. Dosn't say much for Ryan's confidence though
    According to wiki their third choice keeper for those playoffs was a guy who plays in the Dutch top flight. They've also called up 2 other keepers in the past year, so that's 5 ahead of AMB.

And if he isn't playing for us, as you'd assume Wollacott will be first choice, then i don't see any way that AMB is going to world cup.
  • edited June 2022
    Olly Groom's job is to promote Charlton Athletic and the current players in a good light.

Airman Brown's remit was different as the editor of a fanzine.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Olly really probing him with those "how much are you looking forward to..." questions. 
    Not sure he’s there to do a Jeremy Paxman on him. Can you imagine: “So Jojo, you let in quite a few goals last season. Should we be worried?” 
    Make for a really interesting interview wouldn't it though.. ;)
    A change of script from Olly would be good sometimes, those "how much" questions do seem very repetitive.. 
  • Wonder if Macca's singing 'Get back Jojo'?