Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Doesn’t answer the question many will be hoping he will. Either way we’ll have a good idea based on how the squad looks after the window has closed.
  • Gribbo said:
    I'm waiting for one of our local journos to ask TS about where we now stand with blowing this league out of the water and being in The Premier League in what is now 4 years I believe?
    Still gobsmacked that people who claim to have followed Charlton and English football in general for years and years, took him at his word on that, and didn't just give him a squeeze for getting over excited about the takeover at the time. 
    Because it's what we wanted to hear. Guilty as charged.
    But I genuinely thought he would have made a better fist of it.
  • Gribbo said:
    I'm waiting for one of our local journos to ask TS about where we now stand with blowing this league out of the water and being in The Premier League in what is now 4 years I believe?
    Still gobsmacked that people who claim to have followed Charlton and English football in general for years and years, took him at his word on that, and didn't just give him a squeeze for getting over excited about the takeover at the time. 
    Nothing wrong with Charlton fans having long and good memories. Didn’t do young Paddy any harm when he won a few grand on the Chase 
  • Barclay out.
    Oh wait. Barclay in/out.  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• He is determined to balance the books. He's clearly had a good look at the financial potential of the club over the last two years and is now cutting his cloth accordingly. It's his mission to achieve this based on what he's told me. I also agree 100% with him. I don't agree with a lot of what he has done and really don't like the more public side of his persona and as for the guitar stuff. On the whole I'm not a fan of show offs no matter who and where they've come from and I personally do not expect any individual to spend crazy money on the club. Football at our level has to sort itself out and I for one would love CAFC to financially straighten itself out as part of this. Ultimately the clubs with the largest and richest fanbase will succeed that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
  • Barclay out.
    Oh wait. Barclay in/out.  ;)
    Barclay shake it all about?
  • Somewhat miffed, does he not know that Pope was not from our youth academy ? Why would you openly declare that you had a little windful as now I am sure that a selling may just bump their price up for a player should we make a bid. 
    He may have also made a rod for his own back if none of the funds go back into the team to strengthen squad.
    The question that the fans will ask if we have a bad start is "What happened to the Pope money?"
    The squad as it stands is smaller than that of last season, and he stated at the end of last season we would go into 2022-23 fully prepared and not make the same mistakes as we did  last season, on Saturday he now stats that we wont be signing anyone before the start of season and wait for loans.
    Would it not be better to keep quiet, but if you do decide to make statements to stick to them ?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Because it's what we wanted to hear. Guilty as charged.
    But I genuinely thought he would have made a better fist of it.
    Me too mate, but reality soon kicked in. Still don't necessarily blame TS for getting myself over excited though.

I spend too much time being angry at those who (allegedly) intentionally went out their way to mislead the fan base and continued to do so for as long as they could get away with it, in order to line their own pockets. 
    I also think that Tommy, unreasonably, is bearing the brunt of frustration and anger accumulated over years of funky ownership and mismanagement.
    The sheer delight at his takeover was quickly followed by "right we are sorted, lets get on with it". Success. NOW!
    His " Blowing League One out of the water" maybe unwittingly fanned the flames of that and now the slow and steady sensible approach (not yet working) has fuelled some impatience/ire.
    I admit I am currently immensely impatient and unreasonably so I am sure, but I want to see signs of progress now and I'll be having a good moan if I don't.  ;)

Edit: Perhaps I should specify "signs of progress", because of course there are many. Sorry.
    I meant a serious promotion challenge.
    👍
  • I don't trust the Sandgaard family with our club but I don't want TS gone.

The first team is work in progress and I will not decide on it until the transfer window closes, but so far I'm not sure that the manager and his recruits will result in promotion, but it is unfinished and I hope it improves in players and tactics.

I never believed TS's early pronouncements but to me he has not proved his ability to understand English football or our club, the recruitment of his wife and son is concerning and his inability to learn from his mistakes is a worry.Yes he saved the club for which I am grateful and he has spent his own money improving SL and subsidising the club's running costs.

I didn't trust ESI and for reasons I can't articulate I don't trust TS but I do hope he proves me wrong.
  • Somewhat miffed, does he not know that Pope was not from our youth academy ? Why would you openly declare that you had a little windful as now I am sure that a selling may just bump their price up for a player should we make a bid. 
    He may have also made a rod for his own back if none of the funds go back into the team to strengthen squad.
    The question that the fans will ask if we have a bad start is "What happened to the Pope money?"
    The squad as it stands is smaller than that of last season, and he stated at the end of last season we would go into 2022-23 fully prepared and not make the same mistakes as we did  last season, on Saturday he now stats that we wont be signing anyone before the start of season and wait for loans.
    Would it not be better to keep quiet, but if you do decide to make statements to stick to them ?
    Suspect he was asked the question and has answered it without confirming whether any money will be reinvested in the days.

I expect this season many will be saying Leaburn came through our academy despite joining our u16s, and yet Lookman who signed about a year older apparently doesn’t count.

You could argue anyone signing for our u23 team (u21 when Pope signed I think) makes a player part of our academy since they didn’t come straight into the first team. It’s an academy team even if the players are pro by that age.
  • Gribbo said:
    I certainly believed that we would be putting together a squad aiming to win the league, why wouldn't I?
    Yes I thought the Premier League was optimistic.
  • Scoham said:
    Somewhat miffed, does he not know that Pope was not from our youth academy ? Why would you openly declare that you had a little windful as now I am sure that a selling may just bump their price up for a player should we make a bid. 
    Suspect he was asked the question and has answered it without confirming whether any money will be reinvested in the days.

I expect this season many will be saying Leaburn came through our academy despite joining our u16s, and yet Lookman who signed about a year older apparently doesn’t count.

You could argue anyone signing for our u23 team (u21 when Pope signed I think) makes a player part of our academy since they didn’t come straight into the first team. It’s an academy team even if the players are pro by that age.
    Charlton paid a compensation package to Bury Town after he had a two week trial. 
    Was Leaburn and Lookman signed from a club with a fee ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah yes John Marquis who few fans wanted.
    But would he have been a better option than Farkin Noone?
  • Scoham said:
    Somewhat miffed, does he not know that Pope was not from our youth academy ? Why would you openly declare that you had a little windful as now I am sure that a selling may just bump their price up for a player should we make a bid. 

Charlton paid a compensation package to Bury Town after he had a two week trial. 
    Leaburn was released from Chelsea @ U16 level, and subsequently joined us.

Lookman joined from a Sunday League side, also prior to U18 level, which put both firmly into the Academy.
  • Scoham said:

Lookman joined from a Sunday League side, also prior to U18 level, which put both firmly into the Academy.
    I never said that they never came through the academy, what I stated is that Pope didn't. A fee was paid for him. 
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:

I never said that they never came through the academy, what I stated is that Pope didn't. A fee was paid for him. 
    Does it matter if a fee is paid though - Age is the only thing that should matter?

The fee shows we were respectful to Bury Town - Rather than trying to poach him, as how many Non-League players (let alone kids) are on proper Contracts, especially beyond the National Leagues
  • Scoham said:

Irrelevant really, if Chelsea pay a fee for an u12 player who plays all the way through to u23 he’d have come through their academy.

Pope spent part of his development within one of our academy teams by making appearances for our u21 side and spending time training with that squad which was ran by academy coaches.

I know there’s no exact definition, it’s just interesting that Leaburn counts but Lookman doesn’t despite it perhaps being a matter of months (in terms of their age) between when they signed for us.
  • Gribbo said:
    I certainly believed that we would be putting together a squad aiming to win the league, why wouldn't I?
    Yes I thought the Premier League was optimistic.
    Supopse it depends on where your starting point is on the expectation scale. 

• Gribbo said:
    I can understand a 6 year old getting excited at xmas when they are opening their presents but a 60 year old businesman who is in charge of the cheques should know better. If he wasn't going to splash the cash (and no reason why he should - its his money) then best not say anything or did he somehow think we were going to be worldbeaters by bringing in 19 year old loanees or players with injury records as long as your arm.