Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we dont get a decent striker in for this season, I fear we will struggle like last year and offer no challenge for promotion out of this league.

Sorry for sounding so negative but this is such an obvious weakness.

I find it hard to believe that Thomas thinks the current strikeforce is good enough to carry us through. 
    I fully realise and approve he is keeping a tight grip on expenses but we are a football club and results remain the priority for all of us who have Charlton blood flowing through our veins.

Its unrealistic and unfair to expect the likes of Kanu and Leburn (as good as they are) to rescue us when we lose our existing strikers to injury and suspensions.

Another season like the last one would be a hammer blow and very damaging to all concerned.
    TS knows we need another striker/winger to bring the goals needed to get us out of this league.

90% of the articles he posts via Cawley have an agenda behind them vs being the truth I.e.

1. “We have Leaburn so we don’t need a striker” means we need a striker but we don’t want agents to think we do.

2. “We would listen to offers for Forster-Caskey but he is not transfer listed” means we’re not sure JFC can cut it after his injury and we’re open to moving him on.

3. “We’re not looking to sell Stockley unless the offer is huge” means Stockley is available if anyone (Sheff Weds at the time) wants to pay through the roof.
    1 and 3 are correct.

2.  JFC allegedly didn't want the club to enforce the option.  His ability, or effectiveness aren't the issue.
    Pity he didn't say that before his health and care season. 
    That makes me annoyed.  It us the sort of attitude  that makes me wonder if cheering like made is worth it . Maybe if we all said bollocks they might all realise what a good screw many are on even in L1.

However Innis has much to be admired for his effort of the field and the fact he is on less money than many less talent in that squad.
    Inniss doesn't deserve a great salary because he's hardly ever available to play. 

I'd heard JFC wanted to go Birmingham. With Bowyer gone that's likely to be dead. I agree it's a little disappointing if he doesn't want to reward the loyalty we showed. Although there's people like Davison who give 100% but a lot of fans want rid. It works both ways. Ultimately if JFC gives his all whilst here I don't see a problem 
    Was it loyalty, or a duty of care? I’m proud to support a club that acts in the right way. 

If he moves, with our blessing, there’s no problem from me. 
  • Options
    Innis is an asset in both penalty areas if fit. The medical team would have made an assessment and I'm sure a decision would have been made based on that. He seems to be starting from a better place fitness wise so far.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Innis is an asset in both penalty areas if fit. The medical team would have made an assessment and I'm sure a decision would have been made based on that. He seems to be starting from a better place fitness wise so far.
    He might genuinely benefit from Garner's system inasmuch as if it does work the defence will be more about pressurising players and interceptions than blood-and-thunder sliding tackles or Pearce style wrestling moves, which will hopefully reduce the risk of injury somewhat.
  • Options
    But forgetting about systems, it is always useful to win headers in both boxes.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    If we dont get a decent striker in for this season, I fear we will struggle like last year and offer no challenge for promotion out of this league.

I find it hard to believe that Thomas thinks the current strikeforce is good enough to carry us through. 
    I fully realise and approve he is keeping a tight grip on expenses but we are a football club and results remain the priority for all of us who have Charlton blood flowing through our veins.

Its unrealistic and unfair to expect the likes of Kanu and Leburn (as good as they are) to rescue us when we lose our existing strikers to injury and suspensions.

Another season like the last one would be a hammer blow and very damaging to all concerned.
    TS knows we need another striker/winger to bring the goals needed to get us out of this league.

90% of the articles he posts via Cawley have an agenda behind them vs being the truth I.e.

1. “We have Leaburn so we don’t need a striker” means we need a striker but we don’t want agents to think we do.

2. “We would listen to offers for Forster-Caskey but he is not transfer listed” means we’re not sure JFC can cut it after his injury and we’re open to moving him on.

3. “We’re not looking to sell Stockley unless the offer is huge” means Stockley is available if anyone (Sheff Weds at the time) wants to pay through the roof.
    1 and 3 are correct.

2.  JFC allegedly didn't want the club to enforce the option.  His ability, or effectiveness aren't the issue.
    That makes me annoyed.  It us the sort of attitude  that makes me wonder if cheering like made is worth it . Maybe if we all said bollocks they might all realise what a good screw many are on even in L1.

However Innis has much to be admired for his effort of the field and the fact he is on less money than many less talent in that squad.
    Inniss doesn't deserve a great salary because he's hardly ever available to play. 

I'd heard JFC wanted to go Birmingham. With Bowyer gone that's likely to be dead. I agree it's a little disappointing if he doesn't want to reward the loyalty we showed. Although there's people like Davison who give 100% but a lot of fans want rid. It works both ways. Ultimately if JFC gives his all whilst here I don't see a problem 
    Was it loyalty, or a duty of care? I’m proud to support a club that acts in the right way. 

If he moves to another club in League 1 there is a problem for me otherwise agree with you.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

1 and 3 are correct.

If he moves to another club in League 1 there is a problem for me otherwise agree with you.
    No point in holding onto him if he doesn't want to be here
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

1 and 3 are correct.

No point in holding onto him if he doesn't want to be here
    Agreed, we’ve seen enough of watching players just going through the motions, if he wants out, then let him go, I’m not sure he is that good or big an influence on the team in a way that he would be massively missed,and I’m not just saying that in case he goes. If he stays he would need to show the appetite to compete and stay in the team. Hopefully they have someone lined up wanting to play for us, if JFC has had enough.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    Money talks - end of story. 

He walked in said Prem this, Europe that and then proceeded to not spend the money to even get out of league 1. 

And now he has downgraded the whole thing and we will have a very ordinary season ahead, just look at the squad. 

So brilliant, what a wonderful exciting time to come. 

We all know what we want, a loaded nutcase to throw large sums of money at the problem. 

We are now settling nicely into League One mid table - getting really comfortable and bringing in players of that level. 

Next step start shutting areas of the stadium to accomodate sub 10k crowds. 

Bitter - who me?  

Tbf Katrien done that a few years ago 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    mascot88 said:
    Money talks - end of story. 

He walked in said Prem this, Europe that and then proceeded to not spend the money to even get out of league 1. 

And now he has downgraded the whole thing and we will have a very ordinary season ahead, just look at the squad. 

So brilliant, what a wonderful exciting time to come. 

We all know what we want, a loaded nutcase to throw large sums of money at the problem. 

We are now settling nicely into League One mid table - getting really comfortable and bringing in players of that level. 

Next step start shutting areas of the stadium to accomodate sub 10k crowds. 

Bitter - who me?  

I would say needing a head shake rather than bitter.

Why not wait and see until all our recruiting is done before coming to such doom laden conclusions?
    I don’t think any of us know what’s  going to happen yet,we’ve not finished recruitment.  Give it 5-10 games and then we can judge fairly, if we feel it’s going to be good or a disaster. If it’s the latter, TS will deserve to be questioned.
  • Options
    The different between CAT 1 and the others is quite detailed, from the bits I know we're still a way short of CAT 1.

Number of coaches for U16's is something like 1 to 8, there are suggested spend amounts, for CAT 1 it's over £2m, FT education, an indoor pitch, academy secretary (FT) the list is very very long.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    The different between CAT 1 and the others is quite detailed, from the bits I know we're still a way short of CAT 1.

Number of coaches for U16's is something like 1 to 8, there are suggested spend amounts, for CAT 1 it's over £2m, FT education, an indoor pitch, academy secretary (FT) the list is very very long.
    If this is known criteria, and we don’t have or do some of these, why even apply? Seems a bit of a waste of time. Or is it not as simple as that?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Not the same as what I have heard. We have been given different advisories of what we need to achieve CAT 1 on each assessment.

The bricks and mortar were the biggest issue before. Now that's changed, any which way every assessment brings us closer to the end result. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Not the same as what I have heard. We have been given different advisories of what we need to achieve CAT 1 on each assessment.

The bricks and mortar were the biggest issue before. Now that's changed, any which way every assessment brings us closer to the end result. 
    I agree we are nearer than before, but still a way to go I believe. 
  • Options
    Clubs would have been informed of the academy status at the end of May and it will become clear in the next couple of weeks when the fixtures are announced for the Under 18’s. 

Highly likely will be in the Cat 2 pond for the forthcoming season 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:
    So a divisive manager, with very patchy experience and success, hired by a narcissist who knows sod all about football, has essentially plundered his old club for a bunch of players who were so great that they were in league two in what should be the high point of their career and we have signed a half dozen academy players? Fabulous!
    You must have been furious when we signed Nick Pope and Joe Aribo from non-league clubs. I mean, how good could they be if they're playing for Bury Town and Staines, ffs? 
    Not the same though is it? Pope and Aribo were about 19 when they were signed for their potential. I have no idea if this guy or any of the Swindon lads are any good but he’s a 27 year old player from League 2. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes but I do think it’s strange with all the Swindon connections and I believe it’s a concern. However the squad needed an overhaul and this is the level we’re looking at, hopefully it’s enough to push for promotion but I’m not sure it will be.
    Absolutely this. Another big question is whether Garner is any good as a manager. I have no idea and I don’t think last season is enough evidence to be confident he is. I’m open minded.

What is clear is that a lot of recruitment / staffing decisions at the club are being financially driven, often around relatively small sums. Of course that is always true to some extent but you can’t argue we’re getting the best of L2 if that is compromised by what we’re willing to pay - the four may not be “L2 players” but that’s no different from saying we’re not a L1 club. 

The five permanent signings will respectively be 28, 27, 26, 25 and 27 in the next few months - they are all mid-career rather than promising youngsters who are typical players moving up (and moving from Lincoln to Charlton is surely moving up). A great deal hangs on the manager’s ability to build a team.

Could it also be possible that another reason why TS hasn't thrown money at the squad is because he wants to see the impact Garner has as a manager? Playing it safe so to speak? If we are in a good position in January he may be more willing to use he's checkbook to help us get over the line. 

Not that I have any complaints with our strategy this window. I feel in terms of squad numbers we are in a much better place than last season. 
    At this point there is a fair amount of evidence TS regularly overestimates what is achievable on and off the pitch - results, commercial revenue, attendances, international support - even disregarding his more outlandish rhetoric.

The problem with “playing it safe” is that the bill for being in L1 keeps on coming.
    You do make TS sound quite a dimwit!!😂, I’d like to be a pound behind him and be so naive and stupid.
    He wouldn't be the first highly intelligent, highly successful business man to lose a fortune on a football club and achieve sod all, would he? 
    Absolutely not, but he would have known and been advised as to the pitfalls, and it’s his money to do as he likes, none of ours.
    Except that's not an accurate reflection is it. Because it's quite clear he expected revenue to be greater than it is and he is now talking about running it like other businesses, even "breaking even". He was either advised poorly, ignored the advice or what I believe to be the truth, a bit of both. 
    Ok, we are going over old ground now so I’ll leave it.  People know my views, I’m not going to justify them to people as I don’t have to. If people are that unhappy don’t go and dodgy old Thomas won’t take you’re money.
    nobody is saying you have to justfy them. But whenever somebody else gives their opinion you dig them out and then when people disagree with you, you just say you don't have to explain yourself. You said "I just try and do my bit go on a Saturday/ Tuesday, and support the team, and leave the politics to people that think they know best". But when you're defending Sandgaard on everything and calling anyone else who doesn't a pessimist, that's not exactly true is it? You seem to think you either have to love everything Sandgaard does or boycott and hate them. You're missing the bit in the middle where I think most of the fans currently sit. 
    That’s complete bollox, I have never dug anyone out for being pessimistic, I question why they are absolutely, as most of these people seem to know more than I do, my defence of sandgaard is based upon the fact nobody is giving us a good reason to be against him. I have on many occasions said I’m pretty much in the middle until he  does something disastrously wrong, so please don’t paint a picture of me that’s incorrect. I have a bigger issue with the constant negativity.
    Poor appointments , poor recruitment , dubious ticketing policies , putting his son into a key position with no experience, poor managerial selections (I’m not including Garner in this ).  Scepticism is justified surely . 
    I don't want whatever you are on. Best wait and see I think. 
    I’m not on anything - none of what I said can be argued against .  There may be a huge list of positives too , although I can’t see them.  Do enlighten . 
     Poor managerial selections? How many of you now saying Jackson was a poor selection were salivating at him getting the gig? Who wanted Bowyer sacked when TS decided to stick with him? Adkins was always going to be a 50/50 but I think most understand why we tried it.

Either way this is not a discussion for the Jack Payne thread so let's have it here.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:
    So a divisive manager, with very patchy experience and success, hired by a narcissist who knows sod all about football, has essentially plundered his old club for a bunch of players who were so great that they were in league two in what should be the high point of their career and we have signed a half dozen academy players? Fabulous!
    You must have been furious when we signed Nick Pope and Joe Aribo from non-league clubs. I mean, how good could they be if they're playing for Bury Town and Staines, ffs? 
    Not the same though is it? Pope and Aribo were about 19 when they were signed for their potential. I have no idea if this guy or any of the Swindon lads are any good but he’s a 27 year old player from League 2. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes but I do think it’s strange with all the Swindon connections and I believe it’s a concern. However the squad needed an overhaul and this is the level we’re looking at, hopefully it’s enough to push for promotion but I’m not sure it will be.
    Absolutely this. Another big question is whether Garner is any good as a manager. I have no idea and I don’t think last season is enough evidence to be confident he is. I’m open minded.

What is clear is that a lot of recruitment / staffing decisions at the club are being financially driven, often around relatively small sums. Of course that is always true to some extent but you can’t argue we’re getting the best of L2 if that is compromised by what we’re willing to pay - the four may not be “L2 players” but that’s no different from saying we’re not a L1 club. 

The five permanent signings will respectively be 28, 27, 26, 25 and 27 in the next few months - they are all mid-career rather than promising youngsters who are typical players moving up (and moving from Lincoln to Charlton is surely moving up). A great deal hangs on the manager’s ability to build a team.

Could it also be possible that another reason why TS hasn't thrown money at the squad is because he wants to see the impact Garner has as a manager? Playing it safe so to speak? If we are in a good position in January he may be more willing to use he's checkbook to help us get over the line. 

Not that I have any complaints with our strategy this window. I feel in terms of squad numbers we are in a much better place than last season. 
    At this point there is a fair amount of evidence TS regularly overestimates what is achievable on and off the pitch - results, commercial revenue, attendances, international support - even disregarding his more outlandish rhetoric.

The problem with “playing it safe” is that the bill for being in L1 keeps on coming.
    You do make TS sound quite a dimwit!!😂, I’d like to be a pound behind him and be so naive and stupid.
    He wouldn't be the first highly intelligent, highly successful business man to lose a fortune on a football club and achieve sod all, would he? 
    Absolutely not, but he would have known and been advised as to the pitfalls, and it’s his money to do as he likes, none of ours.
    Except that's not an accurate reflection is it. Because it's quite clear he expected revenue to be greater than it is and he is now talking about running it like other businesses, even "breaking even". He was either advised poorly, ignored the advice or what I believe to be the truth, a bit of both. 
    Ok, we are going over old ground now so I’ll leave it.  People know my views, I’m not going to justify them to people as I don’t have to. If people are that unhappy don’t go and dodgy old Thomas won’t take you’re money.
    nobody is saying you have to justfy them. But whenever somebody else gives their opinion you dig them out and then when people disagree with you, you just say you don't have to explain yourself. You said "I just try and do my bit go on a Saturday/ Tuesday, and support the team, and leave the politics to people that think they know best". But when you're defending Sandgaard on everything and calling anyone else who doesn't a pessimist, that's not exactly true is it? You seem to think you either have to love everything Sandgaard does or boycott and hate them. You're missing the bit in the middle where I think most of the fans currently sit. 
    That’s complete bollox, I have never dug anyone out for being pessimistic, I question why they are absolutely, as most of these people seem to know more than I do, my defence of sandgaard is based upon the fact nobody is giving us a good reason to be against him. I have on many occasions said I’m pretty much in the middle until he  does something disastrously wrong, so please don’t paint a picture of me that’s incorrect. I have a bigger issue with the constant negativity.
    Poor appointments , poor recruitment , dubious ticketing policies , putting his son into a key position with no experience, poor managerial selections (I’m not including Garner in this ).  Scepticism is justified surely . 
    I’m not on anything - none of what I said can be argued against .  There may be a huge list of positives too , although I can’t see them.  Do enlighten . 
     Poor managerial selections? How many of you now saying Jackson was a poor selection were salivating at him getting the gig? Who wanted Bowyer sacked when TS decided to stick with him? Adkins was always going to be a 50/50 but I think most understand why we tried it.

Either way this is not a discussion for the Jack Payne thread so let's have it here.

Can we keep the Jack Payne talk off this thread please Dazzler mate ;-)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

Adkins was appalling.  He evidently didn’t want Jackson in the job ; he only gave it to him because he had to after the run we are on .  Let’s hope Garner works out better . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

Adkins was appalling.  He evidently didn’t want Jackson in the job ; he only gave it to him because he had to after the run we are on .  Let’s hope Garner works out better . 
    Funny, I was just about to say a version of this to argue against your point. Adkins is the only error there, and he didn't look bad on pedigree. You also listed putting Martin in a role for which he has no experience. If what he's doing is being the eyes on the ground embedding Thomas' strategy, he's arguably the most qualified candidate in the world. He's clearly not leading on recruitment, which was flagged as the concern. Dubious ticketing policies... it could be argued the initial policies were a massive success, we got people in the Valley and they saw our best performances on the season. There wasn't longevity I'm repeating the trick again and again, but fail to see any harm in trying it out. And this year we're trying the free tickets foe the women's team. Any marketing team worth it's salt tries things. They don't always work. You seem to expect someone to come in and make every decision right. 
    So I can argue with 3 of your 5 points, and the other 2, recruitment and appointments, are synonymous. I can't argue against you there because I don't understand the inner workings of the club enough. 
    I mean appointments in managerial non footballing roles, as well as the coaches. 

Your slant is incredibly positive - I’m not saying you are categorically wrong, of course ; I would love to be wrong on this one 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

Was Adkins categorically appalling or was he properly backed?

We looked quite good at the end of the season and the total opposite at the start of the next.  We had 14 senior pros and two of them had Covid.

He was a sound appointment on paper, on grass as well for his 1st dozen games. 
    I was going to post similar, but it had the feel of defend the indefensible about it. Plymouth away anyone? Best result in years, albeit with an inherited squad. Got a tune out of Gilbey, who was key for him and missing at start of next, as was the departed unreplaced Aneke. Clearly let down on transfers over summer who weren't his picks, (Dobson?) Ultimately lost the dressing room, and if tactics were anything to go by, his marbles.

Should boost my flagging LoL count 😎
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

We looked quite good at the end of the season and the total opposite at the start of the next.  We had 14 senior pros and two of them had Covid.

I was going to post similar, but it had the feel of defend the indefensible about it. Plymouth away anyone? Best result in years, albeit with an inherited squad. Got a tune out of Gilbey, who was key for him and missing at start of next, as was the departed unreplaced Aneke. Clearly let down on transfers over summer who weren't his picks, (Dobson?) Ultimately lost the dressing room, and if tactics were anything to go by, his marbles.

He didn't have Amos, JFC, Millar, Maatsen, Gilbey, Purrington and Aneke at the start of the following season.  

They had been replaced with MacGillivray, Dobson, Clare and umm........

Anyone would have struggled.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Oops wrong thread
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

He didn't have Amos, JFC, Millar, Maatsen, Gilbey, Purrington and Aneke at the start of the following season.  

Amazing to think there were people arguing that Aneke’s departure didn’t matter because he couldn’t play 90 minutes. Are we (fans not TS) making the same mistake with Washington a year later?
    Oranges and apples imo.

10 times out of 10 you have a centre forward on the bench, 8 rimes out of 10 you bring them on.  If you have got the best "super sub" in the league what does it matter he can't start?  It's like moaning the sub keeper can't play left back.

On the other hand.  If Washington had stayed what would his role be?  4th or 5th choice wide player who could do a job?  Couldn't be an alt to Stockley, you aren't playing Washington in the middle of a front 3.  Change of shape sub, if you wanted to go two up top for the final 20?  Maybe.

I would have kept Washington (ingoring the rumour and innuendo) for what it's worth but also in hindsight he didn't have a natural role in Adkins team, nor has he one in Garner's.
  • Options
    What is Garner's style of play/ Garner ball?

Genuine question...I'm not really aware of modern  tactics etc and want to learn more.

Is there a particular thread that explains/ discusses it?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:

Amazing to think there were people arguing that Aneke’s departure didn’t matter because he couldn’t play 90 minutes. Are we (fans not TS) making the same mistake with Washington a year later?

Washington has been replaced by an attacking midfielder in the formation it looks like Garner wants to play. He also wasn't very good but I agree we desperately need more recruits for the forward positions.