Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Ideally with the 5 subs, he can be played in non pressure situations and we can see if he is ready. He may well be, but if he is, it is a massive bonus. If not, I'm sure his time will come.
  • Options
    Play him, Stockley on bench, sell JFC, get in McKirdy.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mendonca said:
    Whatever happened to a good old 1 month loan. That would be handy for all. It seems to be a season or nothing these days.
    Not allowed anymore, not in the EFL anyway, loans have to be from Transfer Window to Transfer Window - We could loan Miles to the Conference, or below for a month loan - But then you have to question if that'll be any use for his development
    A stupid change to remove the short term loans within the EFL
    Probably one of the rules to restrict the likes of Chelsea from stockpiling youngsters.

Unfortunately meant that the clubs who genuinely want to progress their own youth are the ones who suffer
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I feel like we're able to attract good youngsters because we've always had that clear path to the first team if you're good enough. I trust Avory and the team at SL to get it right. 

Also feel like, if Miles had opted to go to a Prem team, they might be looking at L1 loan anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The truth is, we don’t know yet and it would be stupid to go into this season, wanting promotion, without adding to our forwards. We have one senior forward that we know is good enough and can start and finish games in League One.
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if we don't add a least one central striking option and one wide attacker too. Not sure why we're persisting with Davison really. Either flog him now, or loan him out for a season, hope he scores a few and flog him later. Can only hope we're keeping hold of him as we're going to use him as the make weight in a deal for another attacker.
  • Options
    Ideally with the 5 subs, he can be played in non pressure situations and we can see if he is ready. He may well be, but if he is, it is a massive bonus. If not, I'm sure his time will come.
    As Muttley suggests, this 5-sub rule  is tacticly going to be a game changer. The subs bench needs to be strong - players, particularly attacking players, are going to be needed from the bench.

As it stands, we start perhaps with Stockley, plus we have either Aneke and Leaburn or even both to come on after an hour.
    Ideal situation for an 18 year old to learn his trade and gain the experience he needs.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Just thinking about Miles, if he had stayed at Chelsea, and was loaned to us now, would we be happy with the loan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Whatever happened to a good old 1 month loan. That would be handy for all. It seems to be a season or nothing these days.
    Not allowed anymore, not in the EFL anyway, loans have to be from Transfer Window to Transfer Window - We could loan Miles to the Conference, or below for a month loan - But then you have to question if that'll be any use for his development
    A stupid change to remove the short term loans within the EFL
    Probably one of the rules to restrict the likes of Chelsea from stockpiling youngsters.

Unfortunately meant that the clubs who genuinely want to progress their own youth are the ones who suffer
    For a period the EFL had different rules to the PL, but I think that UEFA put pressure on us to harmonise and ban transfers outside of windows

It means that whereas teams before would have a smaller squad and would get a loan in to cover for injuries, now you have to pad your squad out in the windows, just in case
  • Options
    My gut feeling is that TS and BG rate Davison much higher than any of the fans , combined with the fact they also seem to be ignoring the injury records of Chucks and Stockley it won’t suprise me if we end up in a similar situation to last winter with no fit strikers: you would have thought they would have learnt by now :(
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again. He was learning  his trade in the full glare of the first team, if we could have afforded it we needed a striker in so Carl could develop his craft, let's not make the same mistake with his son.

I would keep him around the first team for the cup and trophy and once we are out seek a Nat League or League 2 loan in Jan unless he has established himself as a starter.

He needs game time and support, he is just a kid.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again. He was learning  his trade in the full glare of the first team, if we could have afforded it we needed a striker in so Carl could develop his craft, let's not make the same mistake with his son.

I would keep him around the first team for the cup and trophy and once we are out seek a Nat League or League 2 loan in Jan unless he has established himself as a starter.

He needs game time and support, he is just a kid.
    I agree, but it should be a bit easier for Miles (and Kanu) in that we are in the 3rd tier and should be dominating and winning games, whereas Carl was trying to establish himself as a striker in a top tier side performing miracles to stay up. We're playing Exeter and Cambridge, not Arsenal and Liverpool

Having 2 promising strikers also means that we can alternate them a bit, rather than only having one "wonderkid" to throw on.
  • Options
    Seems surreal to be contributing to an opinion dividing discussion surrounding Leaburn again after all these years. Has Paul Williams had his say yet? 😎
  • Options
    Just thinking about Miles, if he had stayed at Chelsea, and was loaned to us now, would we be happy with the loan?
    From what I’ve seen of him so far, then Yes, ticks the ‘promising youngster’ box, just don’t want to put too much hype / pressure on the lad, I agree with JD being loaned out / sold and another striker coming in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he is miles better than his old man 😉
  • Options
    Billyboy said:
    I think he is miles better than his old man 😉
    Yeah but Carl must be in his 50s to be fair. 
  • Options
    As much as I wish Miles Leaburn to be a BIG success with Charlton he is still tying his bootlaces up when it comes to football.
    Just what the Kid wants added pressure.
    Someone needs to have words with Lennie Lawrence over this one.
    4 strikers , we need a goal machine, do we have one ready .
  • Options
    As much as I wish Miles Leaburn to be a BIG success with Charlton he is still tying his bootlaces up when it comes to football.
    Just what the Kid wants added pressure.
    Someone needs to have words with Lennie Lawrence over this one.
    4 strikers , we need a goal machine, do we have one ready .
    Spot on, promotions out of this league featured strikers who were feared, Hales in 74, Hales again 80, Wright Philips and Yan 2012, Taylor in 2019.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again.
    It wasn't quite as bad as that, I think it was 4 goals in the first 100 odd games AFAICR.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Kap10 said:
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again.
    It wasn't quite as bad as that, I think it was 4 goals in the first 100 odd games AFAICR.
    St James Park , Villa Park,Selhurst Park and Ewood Park. his first four goals in 1st team football.
  • Options
    He's a promising kid, still learning his trade.
    He's not the Messiah. Yet.
    But is he a very naughty boy?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    with careful coaching, encouragement and development, he'll be a first team regular before the end of the season, a very mature young man in his late teens, like a bigger Jj Shelvey  who he could turn out to be as good as or better than
  • Options
    Players develop at different speeds some are ready at 18 (Shelvey Gomez etc) others not.

I've met him a couple of times and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, not surprising with who his mum and dad are.

I'm sure as much as he was buzzing after the game he'll also be fully aware he still has lots to learn and he'll be as keen as mustard to do so.

How many games he'll play/start/be sub etc I have no idea, but I know he'll be backed massively by us fans, I think the management we have now won't overplay him no matter what.

I'm just waiting to sponsor his shirt when he gets a squad number............ 

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Players develop at different speeds some are ready at 18 (Shelvey Gomez etc) others not.

I've met him a couple of times and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, not surprising with who his mum and dad are.

I'm sure as much as he was buzzing after the game he'll also be fully aware he still has lots to learn and he'll be as keen as mustard to do so.

How many games he'll play/start/be sub etc I have no idea, but I know he'll be backed massively by us fans, I think the management we have now won't overplay him no matter what.

I'm just waiting to sponsor his shirt when he gets a squad number............ 

Looks like it will be double  carpet