Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:
    Players develop at different speeds some are ready at 18 (Shelvey Gomez etc) others not.

I've met him a couple of times and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, not surprising with who his mum and dad are.

I'm sure as much as he was buzzing after the game he'll also be fully aware he still has lots to learn and he'll be as keen as mustard to do so.

How many games he'll play/start/be sub etc I have no idea, but I know he'll be backed massively by us fans, I think the management we have now won't overplay him no matter what.

I'm just waiting to sponsor his shirt when he gets a squad number............ 

Looks like it will be double  carpet 
    331 🤷‍♂️
  • T_C_E said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Players develop at different speeds some are ready at 18 (Shelvey Gomez etc) others not.

I've met him a couple of times and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, not surprising with who his mum and dad are.

I'm sure as much as he was buzzing after the game he'll also be fully aware he still has lots to learn and he'll be as keen as mustard to do so.

How many games he'll play/start/be sub etc I have no idea, but I know he'll be backed massively by us fans, I think the management we have now won't overplay him no matter what.

I'm just waiting to sponsor his shirt when he gets a squad number............ 

Looks like it will be double  carpet 
    331 🤷‍♂️
    I'm assuming 33 and dropping the 'to 1'
  • Good luck with the sponsorship, @Rob7Lee. We won’t be doing that again. I got it from Mr W as a present for Christmas last year. Our company name was never printed in the programme and - apparently sent three times to two different addresses - photo from the sponsors’ dinner has still yet to arrive. 

The dinner itself and chatting to Conor Washington was a good evening. So worth about a third to a half of what Mr Weegie paid, I’d assess.

In future I’ll just stick to bunging a tenner or two or three into the draw on here. 
  • edited July 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Kap10 said:
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again.
    It wasn't quite as bad as that, I think it was 4 goals in the first 100 odd games AFAICR.
    I will bow to your greater knowledge as this is the Newcastle game where I thought Leaburn scored 2 goals on debut.

Apart from the fact that non of the goals were scored by him, it's a good watch for us oldies who followed the team in Division one .. the Selhurst years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCBkdIyKPP8
  • Nah, 91/92 is way too late for his debut goal, as he played in the Battle of the Bridge in 88. I think the 3-0 at St James Park was in 1987, but I've not been able to find it on youtube. His second goal, the massively deflected winner at Villa Park is here though:
  • aliwibble said:
    Nah, 91/92 is way too late for his debut goal, as he played in the Battle of the Bridge in 88. I think the 3-0 at St James Park was in 1987, but I've not been able to find it on youtube. His second goal, the massively deflected winner at Villa Park is here though:
    The Newcastle 3-0 was definitely the back end of 86/87
  • Yes it was last game of the season. Gazza came on as a sub to a loud roar. He must have been about 17. At the end of the game the geordies wrecked the goal posts like the jocks did in 77.
    The police got us out of the ground and back to the station in armoured vans for our protection. Bless them.
  • Only 15,000 at newcastle. I thought they were the biggest club on the world with the most loyal fans
  • The battle of the bridge. Yes, wasn't that the game where a Chelsea player knocked Carlo out cold and when he came round he was looking for the culprit full of anger.
  • Sponsored links:

• The battle of the bridge. Yes, wasn't that the game where a Chelsea player knocked Carlo out cold and when he came round he was looking for the culprit full of anger.
    Yes. Only time I ever saw him ‘lose it’. Took most of the rest of our team to restrain him.
  • I was 6 or 7 at that game so my memory might be blurred. I remember Mortimer crossing the ball for leaburn who met the cross with a volley, sliced the volley straight back to Mortimer 
  • edited July 2022
    My best Leaburn memory was us being 4-2 down to Norwich at home and we had 10 men. Carlo was booed by sections of the crowd as he came off the bench and then scored a diving header to make 4-4. One of my favourite ever games. 
  • Chunes said:
    My best Leaburn memory was us being 4-2 down to Norwich at home and we had 10 men. Carlo was booed by sections of the crowd as he came off the bench and then scored a diving header to make 4-4. One of my favourite ever games. 
    Remember that game well. Was working on the turnstiles at the time, so had found an empty seat in the East stand. At 4-2 down and with 10 men people started streaming for the exits, so I took the staff route and joined my dad and cousin block B of the north lower. Jason Lee and Leaburn got the late goals to seal the draw and the few of us that remained went crazy.
  • Kap10 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Kap10 said:
    Carl scored early on in his Charlton career (debut goals v Newcastle I think ) it was then another 100 or so games before he scored again.
    It wasn't quite as bad as that, I think it was 4 goals in the first 100 odd games AFAICR.
    I will bow to your greater knowledge as this is the Newcastle game where I thought Leaburn scored 2 goals on debut.

Apart from the fact that non of the goals were scored by him, it's a good watch for us oldies who followed the team in Division one .. the Selhurst years!

John Helm always sounds so disappointed when Charlton score. He clearly never got over the Leeds game
  • That game saw the end of Ossie Ardilles as Toon manager.
  • And saw Charlton win the coveted Yokohama "On-The-Road" award for best away performance of the week  :D
  • Carls first goal was in a 3-0 win at St James Park Newcastle, 4th of May 1987,where Paul Miller and Garth Crooks also scored their first goals.
    Wonder if that has happened before or since.
  • Good luck with the sponsorship, @Rob7Lee. We won’t be doing that again. I got it from Mr W as a present for Christmas last year. Our company name was never printed in the programme and - apparently sent three times to two different addresses - photo from the sponsors’ dinner has still yet to arrive. 

The dinner itself and chatting to Conor Washington was a good evening. So worth about a third to a half of what Mr Weegie paid, I’d assess.

In future I’ll just stick to bunging a tenner or two or three into the draw on here. 
    That doesn't bode well @Weegie Addick - did the club make any comment as to why these issues?
  • Carls first goal was in a 3-0 win at St James Park Newcastle, 4th of May 1987,where Paul Miller and Garth Crooks also scored their first goals.
    Wonder if that has happened before or since.
    Yes...lots if Charlton players have scored their first goals since then.
    But not 3 in the same game
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't have thought it was necessarily that unlikely. All you'd need is a high scoring game near the start of a season where we'd made a reasonable number of signings in the summer. The unusual thing with that game was it was in May.
  • And saw Charlton win the coveted Yokohama "On-The-Road" award for best away performance of the week  :D
    If Carlo won a TV for his MOTM award from Rumbelows, did the Yokohama MOTM win a set of new tyres  :)
  • aliwibble said:
    Nah, 91/92 is way too late for his debut goal, as he played in the Battle of the Bridge in 88. I think the 3-0 at St James Park was in 1987, but I've not been able to find it on youtube. His second goal, the massively deflected winner at Villa Park is here though:
    Now you are really showing up my age or lack of memory, I was at the Battle of the Bridge! Of course that could not have been our mild natured Carl being held back from lumping Steve Wicks who had laid him out!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Good luck with the sponsorship, @Rob7Lee. We won’t be doing that again. I got it from Mr W as a present for Christmas last year. Our company name was never printed in the programme and - apparently sent three times to two different addresses - photo from the sponsors’ dinner has still yet to arrive. 

That doesn't bode well @Weegie Addick - did the club make any comment as to why these issues?
    No. I’d still really like to get the photo but am giving up hope. 
  • No, not certain but probably not been beaten.
  • edited July 2022
    Kap10 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Kap10 said:

An article in The Grauniad, I think after he’d scored the winner v Man Ure, described him as “a good park player” - because up till then he’d scored at St James’s Park, Upton Park, Selhurst Park and Villa Park. 
  • Chunes said:
    Remember that game well. Was working on the turnstiles at the time, so had found an empty seat in the East stand. At 4-2 down and with 10 men people started streaming for the exits, so I took the staff route and joined my dad and cousin block B of the north lower. Jason Lee and Leaburn got the late goals to seal the draw and the few of us that remained went crazy.
    0-2 down, got it back to 2-2, then 2-4 down. Crazy game. 
  • Miles Leaburn is going to make some great stories to reminisce on, in the years to come.  Although Carl was an important player in the 1980s, I am more excited about what Miles is going to do this season and the next couple. 
  • Chizz said:
    Miles Leaburn is going to make some great stories to reminisce on, in the years to come.  Although Carl was an important player in the 1980s, I am more excited about what Miles is going to do this season and the next couple. 
    So am I seeing as I missed the Leaburn era - due to age rather than anything else.
  • Chizz said:
    I can't think of any other player whom Charlton fans would be more willing to succeed than Miles Leaburn.  

Everyone loves to see a youngster coming up through the Academy and finding his feet in the first team.  No matter who, it's always appreciated when a player gets - and takes - a chance with the first team, having 'grown up' at Charlton.  'One of us', we're all very ready to exclaim.  

But for Miles it's different.  Different and better.  He ticks the youngster-through-the-ranks box; and he also ticks the his-Dad-used-to-play-for-us box.  While Gavin Peacock and Elliot Lee had the latter, they didn't have the first.  And while several players have come through the Academy and youth processes to appear, succeed and excel in the first team (and, in the cases of Parker, Konchesky, Lisbie (and more) win full international caps), none has done so as the son of a former Valley favourite.  Possibly (some on here will know better) the closest was Leigh Hales, son of the legendary Killer.  

But Miles goes one better.  His Mum is a Charlton legend too.  

Leaving aside his obvious talent and physical advantages, he has another, crucial edge.  He will have the support - the full, unambiguous, desperate-for-success support - of all Charlton fans.  Is he good enough?  Probably.  Do we want him to prove it?  Absolutely.  He will score goals in the Premier League.  I hope it's with Charlton. 

Miles, everyone wants you to go all the way.  I think you will. 
    Did he come through the Academy? Thought he joined from Chelsea?