Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Hat trick this weekend!
  • “Garner reserved particular praise for 18-year-old academy graduate Miles Leaburn, who has moved into the first team dressing room this week having followed up an impressive pre-season with a debut goal at Accrington Stanley last weekend.

“Since I’ve come in, Miles has trained from the first day of pre-season and you can see potential there. His work rate has been excellent, his attitude has been fantastic and he’s talented. Those three things together work really well for me. 

“He’s taken his opportunities in pre-season and he came on and took his opportunity last weekend. He has moved across to the first team dressing room this week which is a sign of how well he has done. He’s earned the respect of the senior players. 

“He’s got to keep his feet on the ground, he’s got to keep working hard and he’s got to take every opportunity that comes his way. He excites me as a player and I’ve got a lot of faith in him and a lot of confidence in what we can do.””

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/garner-relishing-rams-test

• Swisdom said:
    Really important we dont put too much pressure on him and give him time to develop and fit in naturally.  He’s obviously a talented lad but he needs nurturing and supports. I’d like to think his name stands for something and will give him a bit of slack with the fans when things aren’t going his way!
    He's very level headed and IMHO mature for his age and doesn't appear that the pressure is on him. It will also help having Carl there who knows all about the pressures for a young pro coming through. He'll have others around him also due to the family connections I'm sure.

It's also why it's important any squad has a mixture, never underestimate the experienced players influence and guidance for the younger players just coming through. Players like Pratley were absolute class at it, we're a little light at the moment on that front, but believe Innis fills those shoes very well and Stockley as Captain and Chucks as his fellow frontmen will I'm sure help him immensely. You've also got the Pearces of this world still around the place.

But I agree, he's a boy becoming a man who's just starting out on his professional journey, he'll make mistakes, things won't always go to plan, but dealt with the right way it'll build him into a great player I'm sure. If needed he'll get the breaks from us I'm confident, as any young player coming through should regardless of your surname. 

If his chips are down the Covered end I'm sure will be singing his surname, once again.
  • He will get closer attention from defenders. What is important is he gives as good as he gets when this happens. 
  • if ever there is a concern for a young player coming through having the necessary support in place it’s not Miles!
  • Got to question his parents if he's living in the Dressing Room ;)
    Cost of living FA, they’ve rented his room out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Got to question his parents if he's living in the Dressing Room ;)
    Cost of living FA, they’ve rented his room out!
    Rak-Saki is having it
  • He will get closer attention from defenders. What is important is he gives as good as he gets when this happens. 
    This is very interesting to see.  I’ve sen him a fair bit at u18 and u23 levels and my criticism of him (and his father says the same)  is “he’s too nice”
    for his attributes he needs to be able to mix it but without giving away needless fouls.  It’s a bit of an art and if he can get proficient at that he’ll be a hell of a player.  
  • Swisdom said:
    He will get closer attention from defenders. What is important is he gives as good as he gets when this happens. 
    This is very interesting to see.  I’ve sen him a fair bit at u18 and u23 levels and my criticism of him (and his father says the same)  is “he’s too nice”
    for his attributes he needs to be able to mix it but without giving away needless fouls.  It’s a bit of an art and if he can get proficient at that he’ll be a hell of a player.  
    That'll come with experience. It's a fine line sometimes between aggression and a red card!

I liken it to Parker. It was always a big criticism of him when he was in the younger age groups. He went and played mens football, just a handful of games at Norwich from memory and came back a man!

Aneke and Stockley (day to day) will guide him on that in training and I'm sure his dad will away from Sparrows Lane as well. Someone like Innis who's on the receiving end of Strikers will prove valuable as well.
  • I think a red card often comes with not controlling anger. You can be a bit dirty in a calculating way and it helps because people will seek to do it to you.
  • Miles playing regularly against Innes and O’Connell in training will soon toughen up, I imagine. 
  • Just adding my name to the applause for Miles. Certainly deserves it all.
    Thankfully he  seems a level headed young man and very grounded which is not surprising with Carl & Tracy for parents.
    Having both of them being professionals in the game will be an immense advantage I’m sure.

I first saw him play in the two u18 cup matches end of last season, thought then he would make it as a professional and posted that he might be ready for first team duty.

Just hope he’s not over used as players his age often have dips in their form. 
  • Swisdom said:
    He will get closer attention from defenders. What is important is he gives as good as he gets when this happens. 
    So was his dad for a lot of the time.  Ragging bull Leaburn snr was unplayable. 
  • Sounds like another strong cameo by Leaburn and he held his own after coming on. Assume he got a decent reception when he was brought on? One of the players who will really benefit from being allowed to use 5 subs. 

Imagine he will get a start in the league cup on Tuesday. 
  • Leaburnnnn coming on really helped cement the win - got the crowd going again after a bit of a lull. He did really well - a handful for Derby to worry about. Also put in a great tackle covering at right back. Not sure I remember his father ever doing that!
  • Sounds like another strong cameo by Leaburn and he held his own after coming on. Assume he got a decent reception when he was brought on? One of the players who will really benefit from being allowed to use 5 subs. 

Not saying it's undeserved, but the other academy players must be REALLY jealous at the reception Miles gets when he comes on
  • Sponsored links:

Not saying it's undeserved, but the other academy players must be REALLY jealous at the reception Miles gets when he comes on
    I actually thought exactly that today and particularly thought of Kanu. Hoping him and a few others get loans away, after some game time in some of the early cup games for us. 

Good old football!
  • seth plum said:

The 'keeper does know he's allowed to move?
  • I reall liked his physicality when he came on. Can't be compared to Burstow at all who was too soft (not ready) for the rough and tumble.
  • Mature enough to keep the ball in the corner towards the end of the game.
  • Mature enough to keep the ball in the corner towards the end of the game.
    Was very impressed by his game management- looks promising.
  • shirty5 said:
    Off_it said:
    Following in his old man's footsteps by scoring on his debut - really pleased for the whole family.

Lete hope the similarities end there and it doesnt take him quite as long to score his second!
    Full debut for Carl v Newcastle May 1987

Debut as a sub v Oxford 
    Posted this on another thread, but this one is probably more appropriate;

Someone should do a comparison of the number of games/playing minutes/days between Miles Leaburn's first and second goals when compared to his dads.

I'll start us off - Carl's first goal was on 4 May 1987 and his second was on 25 February 1989.

• edited August 2022
    Miles is going to be worth a lot of money in a year or two, isn't he? I can see a Championship side spending millions on him.

Not many 6'7 (how tall is he?) strikers in world football are also good technicians and mobile across the pitch. Last night the guy was taking players on with the ball at his feet. Deceptively quick as well. And he's massive! He's blessed as a player. 

2 goals in 84 minutes of League One football so far.