Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Slightly concerned about the lack of height and power in midfield. All seems to be nice footballers, do think we are missing a Pratley type of player. 
    We’re definitely going more in the direction Robinson went for than Bowyer and Jackson did. Dobson and McGrandles however were first and third respectively for the most tackles won in L1 last season, so hopefully that’ll give us the balance we need.
    I agree, I think that we have players who can mix it up physically if needed. Certainly I don't expect it to be a focus of the style under Garner but I'm not overly concerned that we're likely to be battered off the pitch week in week out either.
  • paulfox said:
    I don’t know what to think. We wanted a clear out. We’re getting one. We wanted some goals from midfield. On the face of it Jack helps here. But the niggling feeling that we’re recruiting a bunch of league 2 players haunts me. Welcome aboard the good ship Swindo, sorry CAFC Jack. I hope you are a ray of light. 
    Just remind me Swindon finished in 6th position in Division 2 last season and now it’s expected that these same players push us on to The Championship.
    Come on, it is three of them isn’t it? what will you be saying if they all step up?, we don’t know yet do we?. Admittedly it could go tits up, but we need to give this new team a chance. I’m probably slightly more concerned about some we have retained.

Plus manager and his right hand man thats five at least.
    Pulling players out of Division 2 is not going to get us to the championship any day soon.
  • I think it’s fair to say Swindon fans loathing of Charlton, has risen to new heights!
  • Swindon are our new Ipswich
  • edited July 2022
    paulfox said:
    I don’t know what to think. We wanted a clear out. We’re getting one. We wanted some goals from midfield. On the face of it Jack helps here. But the niggling feeling that we’re recruiting a bunch of league 2 players haunts me. Welcome aboard the good ship Swindo, sorry CAFC Jack. I hope you are a ray of light. 
    Just remind me Swindon finished in 6th position in Division 2 last season and now it’s expected that these same players push us on to The Championship.
    Come on, it is three of them isn’t it? what will you be saying if they all step up?, we don’t know yet do we?. Admittedly it could go tits up, but we need to give this new team a chance. I’m probably slightly more concerned about some we have retained.

Pulling players out of Division 2 is not going to get us to the championship any day soon.
    Not sure what people like yourself want, as it stands we are a mid table third tier club, who are trying to build from an extremely shitty foundation due to reasons we all know about. What would your strategy be and how would it differ from what the club are doing? As personally I don’t know what else could be done, unless ridiculous unsustainable fees are paid, although we could offer the earth for players but they would still not come because we are division 3. As much as it’s not what you appear to want( not only you by the way) we are having to be realistic and cut the cloth accordingly.
  • Valley11 said:
    Tbf the reaction on here if the roles were reversed would probably be worse. 
    Much worse
  • Sponsored links:

• So far, it feels like we're using someone's little black book of contacts, old school recruitment.

Mid-table is expected at the moment unless we make some good acquisitions, but I'm not sure we're equipped to do that with this current setup.
  • Scoham said:
    Slightly concerned about the lack of height and power in midfield. All seems to be nice footballers, do think we are missing a Pratley type of player. 
    We’re definitely going more in the direction Robinson went for than Bowyer and Jackson did. Dobson and McGrandles however were first and third respectively for the most tackles won in L1 last season, so hopefully that’ll give us the balance we need.
    I do feel we are going to be very similar to that Robbo team in 17/8. Accrington will be a good test on the opening day, as someone like Harry Pell will be a physical challenge for quite a small midfield to navigate.

Do feel that without Innis and Aneke we will lack physicality needed to compete with some of these sides, especially when we play away from home.
  • Can’t wait to draw Swindon Away in the FA Cup!

Good God.  Nondescript 80's business park country erupts in angst and recrimination...
  • Scoham said:
    paulfox said:

If you’re feeling negative you’ll see it that way whoever we sign.

A player stepping up a division isn’t good enough.

A player dropping down is on the decline.

A player from a smaller club in this league can’t be that good as Championship clubs weren’t interested.

A player from a big club in this league is an Ipswich/Wednesday etc reject.

A Prem loan is a kid lacking experience.

A big name wants one last pay day.

What players coming in would impress you?
    You forgot 

Academy players is doing it on the cheap with kids

😉
    Good point. Anyone below Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman level isn’t up to it.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Not sure what people like yourself want, as it stands we are a mid table third tier club, who are trying to build from an extremely shitty foundation due to reasons we all know about. What would your strategy be and how would it differ from what the club are doing? As personally I don’t know what else could be done, unless ridiculous unsustainable fees are paid, although we could offer the earth for players but they would still not come because we are division 3. As much as it’s not what you appear to want( not only you by the way) we are having to be realistic and cut the cloth accordingly.
    We weren't a midtable league 1 team this time last season.  As someone else said we are probably a year behind MK Dons now, we were a year ahead of them last summer.

What is the strategy?  We seem to have gone through all of them in the last 3 or 4 windows, then completley changed course come the next one.  I think it is fair to say none of them have been cheap, or until now, remotely successful.

If this window is capped off with 2 or 3 young premiership loans, of the class of Maatsen, Dasilva, Millar, Cullen etc and maybe one cash signing that has growth potential.  I think most people would be happy.

If this window is capped off with the last minute loan signings of the Arters, Lees and Lekos of this world.  Most people wont be.

There does appear to be more of a plan of signing players to play in a system, that's been lacking over the previous 18 months but even that's no good if you only have 80% of a squad/team.

Encouraging, yes.  Finished, certainly not.
  • Not good enough Charlton ! 
  • So far, it feels like we're using someone's little black book of contacts, old school recruitment.

Mid-table is expected at the moment unless we make some good acquisitions, but I'm not sure we're equipped to do that with this current setup.
    Why is it expected? Best to make that assumption after 10 games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think you are knitpicking, what relevance does being a year behind or ahead of anyone have?, does that  mean we aren’t allowed to do better than MK now, until we catch up?. Football doesn’t work that way, if a team that is seen on paper to be no better than average suddenly hits form and plays above itself they can be promoted, and vice versa, how many times when we were languishing at the bottom did someone say our playing squad shouldn’t be struggling? But we did. I’ve stuck to the same mantra all pre season, I’ll judge once the season starts, the team may surprise, it may disappoint, we don’t know yet. I’d be surprised if TS is able to resist a showy signing in terms of paying out a substantial fee for this league.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

How about team work just as the fans taught them over a period of time while playing away from The Valley. 

Fans put in the picture re The Valley and Sparrows Lane.

Players that pull the shirt on with pride and give 100percent.(even if not good enough)

I know the season has not started yet but it does not paint a good picture the way things are.

Yes i am unhappy at the moment with our club that has seen better days  and iam not talking about The Premier league days that people watched and jumped onto the band wagon without thinking about club or fans.

Please forgive me for careing about Charlton.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

How about team work just as the fans taught them over a period of time while playing away from The Valley. 

Fans put in the picture re The Valley and Sparrows Lane.

Players that pull the shirt on with pride and give 100percent.(even if not good enough)

I know the season has not started yet but it does not paint a good picture the way things are.

Yes i am unhappy at the moment with our club that has seen better days  and iam not talking about The Premier league days that people watched and jumped onto the band wagon without thinking about club or fans.

Please forgive me for careing about Charlton.
    So basically the same as the rest of us, so why not support and get behind the club and team, instead of picking holes and moaning about it, what good does that ultimately do. Are you presuming I’m a premier league fan?, if so you are very wide of the mark, however if I was why would I not want to be proud of it. Some of those that just jumped on the bandwagon( not all) are our current and future support. Remember we lost a lot of fan base when away from the valley, as far as I’m concerned jump on board!!.👍 
  • Not presuming anything like premier league fan. The ones who jumped on board and stayed with us i hold my hands up to you for staying and encouraging others.

Wonder if you are family of Kevin and David. good for you if you are.

Just seen this should be about JAKE PAYNE sorry.

Trust your season is a better one than last season,welcome aboard.

• Not presuming anything like premier league fan. The ones who jumped on board and stayed with us i hold my hands up to you for staying and encouraging others.

Wonder if you are family of Kevin and David. good for you if you are.

Just seen this should be about JAKE PAYNE sorry.

Trust your season is a better one than last season,welcome aboard.

No relation, hopefully the season isn’t going to be as bad as some predict. Payne appears to be a good signing based on the ITK’s.👍
  • Ok so I’m not disparaging of the signings because of my negative viewpoint. I’ve got a negative perspective because of the signings.

And ask the fans at Garners precious clubs what they think of him if you want to know why I think he’s divisive.

These signings, this squad, currently isn’t good enough to get promoted and no amount of positivity is going to alter that. And yes, making mass signings from the academy is both desperate and trying to do things on the cheap.

I very sincerely hope I’m very wrong and will happily post to that effect, however so far what I have seen is at the very best mediocre recruitment.
  • edited July 2022
    IAgree said:
    Ok so I’m not disparaging of the signings because of my negative viewpoint. I’ve got a negative perspective because of the signings.

And ask the fans at Garners precious clubs what they think of him if you want to know why I think he’s divisive.

These signings, this squad, currently isn’t good enough to get promoted and no amount of positivity is going to alter that. And yes, making mass signings from the academy is both desperate and trying to do things on the cheap.

I very sincerely hope I’m very wrong and will happily post to that effect, however so far what I have seen is at the very best mediocre recruitment.
    On the first team we’ll soon have a much better idea and I’m sure we’ll strengthen further with at least a couple more coming in.

What do you mean by mass academy signings? We have a few on the fringes of the first team but that’s it. The majority will be playing for the u23s all season with some going out on loan. Our u23 squads tend to be as big as the first team squad these days, several u18s turning pro has been happening for years. It doesn’t prove a change of strategy in terms of the first team.
  • IAgree said:
    Ok so I’m not disparaging of the signings because of my negative viewpoint. I’ve got a negative perspective because of the signings.

We'll have to wait and see, but on the academy point, how many players have we lost for next to naff all because they don't have professional contracts. It offers some protection from would be poachers and doesn't impact on squad numbers, meaning we can, and will, strengthen further with more signings, before the window closes.