Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Not expecting this to be remotely as popular as the baseball thread, but the NHL returned last night. The Pens won 4-3 in a shootout over the Canucks, getting the season off to a good start, without the league's best player (Sidney Crosby, out with post-concussion symptoms since January)

Comments

• Can't believe the season has started again already. Pen's deserved the win. Can't see the Canucks doing as well this year. Here's hoping though.
  • tv lock out this year, so frustrating.

• Lockout from where? That's what moody streams were invented for!
  • hate the Pens...all about the Flyers baby!
  • Hi Leroy do you watch this on ESPN?
  • Go Oilers.
  • Go Leafs Go, beating the Canadiens last night was nice!
  • Just checked, Oilers face off against the Pens on Sunday.
  • Went to a Canucks pre season game 2 weeks ago when out there, they look average at best. Can't see them making the finals this year for sure.

The NHL needs an MLB style Season pass to watch the games, would happily pay £60 or whatever instead of trying to find streams....
  • hate the Pens...all about the Flyers baby!
    Oh great - a Failures fan. Just what I need. be interesting to see what happens when the Pens play them this year. Not only the Jagr sideshow, but with Talbot there as well after being a massive pens' hero for the past few years, especially with him being an 'in your face' presence, there's sure to be some sparks flying.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't pay for the season pass - but I usually do for the playoffs. I'm quite happy joining moody streams (the sites I use are usually good quality, and the chat is pretty good too)
  • tbh i only follow the flyers as i have several close friends from university who are from philly. i actually went to uni in Pittsburgh and went to a penguins game once and also a few steelers games. i always found the people of Pittsburgh like Gillingham fans...friendly enough but there was a deep lying suspision that they are all related. When i went to watch the philly sports teams the locals were more like charlton fans...very impatient and used to failure.

• what sites do you use then Leroy? 
  • Went to a Canucks pre season game 2 weeks ago when out there, they look average at best. Can't see them making the finals this year for sure.

The NHL needs an MLB style Season pass to watch the games, would happily pay £60 or whatever instead of trying to find streams....
    MLB fails to dissappoint in any way with their MLB.TV, it just works. I've had MLB and NBA subscriptions for the past 2 years, and even though NBA satisfies, MLB.tv is just unequaled. I use MLB.TV for my PS3 a lot, giving  a perfect picture on the television, and i guess NHL GameCenter has made a TV Service for PS3 too? I do not have a NHL subscription, but I can absolutely recommend using the downloadable Service for PS3
  • Go Flames Go!
    Can't tell you. Not being a deliberate prick about it either - there are only about 50 people allowed per stream and they aren't public. Sorry!
    Can't tell you. Not being a deliberate prick about it either - there are only about 50 people allowed per stream and they aren't public. Sorry!
    Ah ok, bloody clique :P
  • Blackhawks for me ever since i saw them go to war and take out the Russian nat team
  • A mates nephew (James Neal) plays for the Pens, and scored first goal of the new season last night in their win over Canucks, so on that basis I watch out for them.  Gotta be better than the Medway Bears!

No sign of a Crosby return yet either.

• Medway Bears Hmmmmmm I have Kev Mcnaughts shirt. Robin Bartel and Luc Chabot
  • Sponsored links:

• Medway Bears Hmmmmmm I have Kev Mcnaughts shirt. Robin Bartel and Luc Chabot
    Now you're talking!  Great team in late 80's/early 90's.  Luc Chabot was a legend.  Remember Dean Edmiston, Gary Brine & Rob Breskal also.  Used to be a ruck every week (on the ice that is).  Great entertainment!
  • Go Oilers.... kind of.

It's all still rather new to me and I'm sure my enjoyment of it will improve, especially now one of my Canadian colleagues has explained some of the rules but I've got to be honest and say it hasn't grabbed me yet. The speed of it seems to be what Canadians enjoy (along with the fights) but it's speed to the point of making it frantic as far as I can tell, so far.

• Go Oilers.... kind of.

It's all still rather new to me and I'm sure my enjoyment of it will improve, especially now one of my Canadian colleagues has explained some of the rules but I've got to be honest and say it hasn't grabbed me yet. The speed of it seems to be what Canadians enjoy (along with the fights) but it's speed to the point of making it frantic as far as I can tell, so far.

don't worry Exiled, i've been here 6 years and 99.99% of it still passes me by...the playoffs are quite interesting, but the regular season just goes on & on & on & on......still Go Flames Go!
  • I have season tickets to the Flames, just hoping to be near the playoffs this year although I am not overly optimistic.
  • It's fast, skilful, aggressive, dangerous and has fights.

Best. Sport. Ever.
  • ...the playoffs are quite interesting, but the regular season just goes on & on & on & on......

80+ games isn't it in a regular season? I caught the back end of the play-offs when I first moved here and they seemed to go on a bit - you get less frames in some snooker matches.

Still, as the footy is all done and dusted by lunchtime, I need some kind of evening sport to take the edge off of working life so I'm going to have to make the effort to get into Hockey - I don't think NFL is really my thing.

• ...the playoffs are quite interesting, but the regular season just goes on & on & on & on......

80+ games isn't it in a regular season? I caught the back end of the play-offs when I first moved here and they seemed to go on a bit - you get less frames in some snooker matches.

Still, as the footy is all done and dusted by lunchtime, I need some kind of evening sport to take the edge off of working life so I'm going to have to make the effort to get into Hockey - I don't think NFL is really my thing.

and CFL is even worse!
  • Bermuda Red

i can remeber Gary Brine Great net minder and Dean Edmiston best Brit Ive seen play but like so many talented player,a little troubled  i hear. Do remeber Ross and Dale Lambert Who after plaing for the Bears and moving to Humberside fought in andd out of the rink .

• i subscribed to game centre live yesterday, its superb ive seen 3 games already, come on the hawks.

• The mighty Maple Leafs were in a thriller tonight, leading 4-0 after 2 they eventually ran out 6-5 winners! 2-0-0! Kessel bagged a hat-trick! I can smell the Stanley Cup!